Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 06:31 PM

4 posts, read 5,224 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm 26 years old, single, and planning to move to Charlotte in the summer. I've lived in California my whole life. I work near San Francisco and the cost of living is absolutely insane, so I'm ready for a change. I've read so many amazing things about the weather, the people, and the overall quality of life in Charlotte. But I'm wondering whether I should bring my car with me, or whether I should rely on public transportation, Uber, Lyft, and just good ole walking.

I have an eye condition called nystagmus, which is characterized by rapid, involuntary eye movement. There is no cure for this condition. Because my eyes are literally always moving from left to right, it makes it difficult for them to focus, and as a result, I have pretty low vision, and contact lenses only help so much. With contact lenses, my best corrected vision is 20/70 in my right eye and 20/100 in my left. (For those of you who aren't eye doctors, 20/70 means that I need to stand 20 feet away from a sign in order to read it, whereas a person with "normal" eyesight could read the same sign at 70 feet away.) To normal people, even those with correctable nearsightedness, these numbers sound appalling, but it's not actually that bad. I can't pass the eye exam at the DMV, but my eye doctor filled out a lengthy "Report of Vision Examination" form, which I gave to the nice people at my local DMV, and I didn't have to take the DMV eye exam. I still had to take the behind-the-wheel test. Even though my eye doctor recommended no night-time driving, no highway driving, and no driving in the rain, the evaluator during my behind-the-wheel test determined that the only restriction I really needed was that I must wear my contact lenses at all times. That's it. I've had my license for five years, and I've had no problem driving on the highway, at night, in the rain. Because of my eye condition, I can't read street signs until I'm basically driving right under them. I can't really see people in their cars, so whenever I and another driver arrive at an intersection at the same time, I always wave the other driver on and let the other driver go first. I have never had a problem. Even though I can't see streets' names from far away, I can see stop signs, traffic lights, other cars, and pedestrians just fine.

If I am not mistaken, in the state of North Carolina,

● Individuals with vision that is correctable to 20/70 are restricted to roads with a speed limit no more than 45 mi/hr and no driving on interstate highways

● Individuals with vision correctable to 20/100 are restricted to daylight hours and roads with a speed limit no more than 45 mi/hr and no driving on interstate highways

So I will be able to get my license, just maybe it will be a restricted license. (But maybe it won't be so restricted, if my experience with the CA DMV is any indication.) Even so, I'm curious about what it's like driving in NC, particularly in Charlotte.

● Are there a lot of unprotected left turns in Charlotte? Or a lot more stop signs than traffic lights? Because I usually can't see people in their cars, I love traffic lights because they lessen the amount of "communication" that I have to do with other drivers, if that makes sense.

● I have read that it doesn't really snow in Charlotte. "When snow does make it past the mountains, it is usually light and is seldom on the ground for more than two or three days." That's good, because I've never driven in snow before. But I've heard you guys get icy roads. Is that true? Does it happen frequently? I think I would take an Uber or Lyft to work if the roads were icy, because ice is scary and I'd rather not take my chances with it.

● Do pedestrians stupidly jaywalk all the time? That used to happen a lot when I lived in Long Beach, CA, and it was always nerve-racking, but when you're a visually impaired driver, you're always on alert, so I never killed anyone.

● I've read the roads are full of potholes. Is that true? If any of you have lived in CA, how do the NC roads compare to CA roads?

● I used to want to move to Nashville, but I read that "Nashville isn't built on a grid like most cities. It's more like driving along a spider's web with downtown at the center. There's also a quick transition from uban to rural driving in some areas." Is Charlotte built on a grid like most normal cities? Will I ever be driving along a four-lane road with traffic lights and suddenly find myself on a winding dirt road with deer jumping out at me?

● I've never had a deer jump out in front of my car, or really ever heard of it happening to anyone I know here in CA. Is it common in NC for animals to jump in front of your car?

● I've read that public transit in Charlotte is actually really good, and I KNOW it must be better than public transit here in CA, which is garbage. Is there anywhere in Charlotte where I could live and work and get by without a car? If I lived and worked in uptown, could I get by without a car?

Please feel free to share any tips you can think of! I am planning a trip out to Charlotte before I actually move there, but in the meantime, I want to gather as much info as I possibly can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 07:12 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keppie View Post
I've read that public transit in Charlotte is actually really good, and I KNOW it must be better than public transit here in CA, which is garbage. Is there anywhere in Charlotte where I could live and work and get by without a car? If I lived and worked in uptown, could I get by without a car?
You might look into Dilworth. You could walk to the light rail line into Uptown, and you can walk to several grocery stores and restaurants.

Apartment prices in Dilworth run to $1100-1300/month for one bedroom. If your budget covers it, you could live in Uptown for $1170-1700.

I can't answer any of your other questions regarding driving. However, I believe it is possible to live in Charlotte without a car. Why not visit, and stay at an AirBNB place?

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-13-2016 at 07:31 PM..

Old 04-14-2016, 09:16 AM

310 posts, read 1,699,853 times
I'm not a driver here in Charlotte, no car. I'm a pedestrian, take public transportation and used to be a bike rider. What I can tell you is that Charlotte does NOT have a grid system for its streets, except for the small area of Uptown (what they call downtown.) If you look at Google Maps or another street map of Charlotte, you'd be able to see this very clearly.

So that might present a problem for you, I know it presents problems for me even though I don't drive. (Was used to being in cities like NYC & Buffalo NY, which mostly have grid street patterns.)

Old 04-14-2016, 10:57 AM

Thank you both for the info! I've been reading a lot of really good things about Dilworth. I've been looking at Dilworth apartment listings for a while, and all the apartments look cute, bright, and modern. Good to know I could live there and take the lightrail! Ideally, I want to spend $1200 or less on rent.

newbie09, is the humidity as bad during the summer as everyone says? When I lived in Los Angeles, I didn't have a car, so I just walked everywhere, but during the summer, it was a real drag, because walking even short distances in 95 degree weather is exhausting. Do you walk and/or ride your bike during the summer?

Old 04-15-2016, 12:33 AM

16 posts, read 21,350 times
Never been to CA but stayed summers in TX and visited AZ a bit. Imagine 95 degrees in CA being equivalent to around 70-75 degrees here. It all depends on the humidity, it will be very stuffy and muggy with lots of moisture in the air during the summer. My first time feeling 110 degrees in Texas was nice because it is so dry, felt like a 85 degree 99% humidity day here.

It isn't as bad as I'm making it out to be and doesn't even come close to Florida weather in the summer but be prepared if you've never felt it before. Tons of people still walk and bike unless there is a heat wave going on for a week or so. Most of the time the summer is nice.

Snow isn't a bother either, maybe two days in February once a year and they treat the roads and pave them the next day.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:57 AM

Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to have to visit and feel the infamous humidity for myself!

Old 04-15-2016, 11:03 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
newbie09, is the humidity as bad during the summer as everyone says? When I lived in Los Angeles, I didn't have a car, so I just walked everywhere, but during the summer, it was a real drag, because walking even short distances in 95 degree weather is exhausting. Do you walk and/or ride your bike during the summer?
Yes, it is oppresively humid in North Carolina during most of the summer. You might consider taking the bus or getting an Uber-car ride during hot weather. I certainly would not want to lug groceries home during summer.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:06 PM

310 posts, read 1,699,853 times
Quote:
Other people have answered this already, but since you asked me directly, I'll add to the discussion. Yes, here in Charlotte there's high humidity w/ the heat in the months from May through September. And because I moved here from Buffalo NY where summers are usually very mild, the warm months here felt super oppressive to me my first few years. I've gotten a little more used to it since then, but there's still many summer days when you get almost immediately coated in sweat within the first few minutes going outside.

But since I live car-free (a rarity here), I still do a lot of walking even during the hot, humid summer months. Living in the SouthPark area of Charlotte very close to SouthPark Mall is real convenient for someone who doesn't drive, I'm within a 10-15 minute walk to many stores, restaurants & two supermarkets. And luckily there's lots of trees here, so when walking on a hot humid day, I try to stay in the shade, carry a cold drink & think cool thoughts!

Used to ride a bicycle 90% of the time (which was always cooler than walking during summer months), but gave up bike-riding over 3 yrs ago to avoid risking injury here on the curving, hilly roads. Never once had a bike accident in over 20 yrs riding a bicycle up in Buffalo NY with its very flat terrain & very straight grid pattern roads (and that was even with riding my bike during winters up there!) but had 4 minor bike accidents my first 3 yrs bike-riding here in Charlotte, so decided to stop after that before getting seriously injured (but still miss bike-riding!)

Yes, I walk home from the supermarket w/ groceries even during the hot, humid weather (15-minute walk), but that time of year, it's best to do that early mornings before the heat & humidity build up... the rest of the day, even early evenings, it usually just gets hotter, muggier, more oppressive. However, living here in Southpark w/ access to 5 different bus routes, I always have the option of hopping on an air-conditioned bus instead of walking, sometimes do that, but usually just walk because it's free & good for exercise! (it helps that the area where I reside has plenty of sidewalks, not every neighborhood here in Charlotte is like that.)

Since it sounds like you're considering not always driving your car wherever you live, hope it's been helpful for you to read how I handle getting around without a car in the Southpark area of Charlotte. And there's other areas such as Dilworth & Southend where it's also walkable w/ sidewalks plus access to stores, shopping & public transportation, not just the Light Rail, but BUSES also. (I don't mind taking city buses, they're fine, but I know that lots of people w/ cars feel there's a stigma attached to getting on a bus... seems ridiculous to me, I'd only avoid taking buses in a high-crime area.)

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions for me about getting around without driving here in Charlotte-- I'm always happy to encourage fewer cars on the roads! (If you prefer, feel free to direct message/private message me if you're able to.)

Old 12-31-2022, 06:46 AM

210 posts, read 545,913 times
Quote:
Hi everyone! I'm 26 years old, single, and planning to move to Charlotte in the summer. I've lived in California my whole life. I work near San Francisco and the cost of living is absolutely insane, so I'm ready for a change. I've read so many amazing things about the weather, the people, and the overall quality of life in Charlotte. But I'm wondering whether I should bring my car with me, or whether I should rely on public transportation, Uber, Lyft, and just good ole walking.

I have an eye condition called nystagmus, which is characterized by rapid, involuntary eye movement. There is no cure for this condition. Because my eyes are literally always moving from left to right, it makes it difficult for them to focus, and as a result, I have pretty low vision, and contact lenses only help so much. With contact lenses, my best corrected vision is 20/70 in my right eye and 20/100 in my left. (For those of you who aren't eye doctors, 20/70 means that I need to stand 20 feet away from a sign in order to read it, whereas a person with "normal" eyesight could read the same sign at 70 feet away.) To normal people, even those with correctable nearsightedness, these numbers sound appalling, but it's not actually that bad. I can't pass the eye exam at the DMV, but my eye doctor filled out a lengthy "Report of Vision Examination" form, which I gave to the nice people at my local DMV, and I didn't have to take the DMV eye exam. I still had to take the behind-the-wheel test. Even though my eye doctor recommended no night-time driving, no highway driving, and no driving in the rain, the evaluator during my behind-the-wheel test determined that the only restriction I really needed was that I must wear my contact lenses at all times. That's it. I've had my license for five years, and I've had no problem driving on the highway, at night, in the rain. Because of my eye condition, I can't read street signs until I'm basically driving right under them. I can't really see people in their cars, so whenever I and another driver arrive at an intersection at the same time, I always wave the other driver on and let the other driver go first. I have never had a problem. Even though I can't see streets' names from far away, I can see stop signs, traffic lights, other cars, and pedestrians just fine.

● Individuals with vision that is correctable to 20/70 are restricted to roads with a speed limit no more than 45 mi/hr and no driving on interstate highways

● Individuals with vision correctable to 20/100 are restricted to daylight hours and roads with a speed limit no more than 45 mi/hr and no driving on interstate highways

So I will be able to get my license, just maybe it will be a restricted license. (But maybe it won't be so restricted, if my experience with the CA DMV is any indication.) Even so, I'm curious about what it's like driving in NC, particularly in Charlotte.

● Are there a lot of unprotected left turns in Charlotte? Or a lot more stop signs than traffic lights? Because I usually can't see people in their cars, I love traffic lights because they lessen the amount of "communication" that I have to do with other drivers, if that makes sense.

● I have read that it doesn't really snow in Charlotte. "When snow does make it past the mountains, it is usually light and is seldom on the ground for more than two or three days." That's good, because I've never driven in snow before. But I've heard you guys get icy roads. Is that true? Does it happen frequently? I think I would take an Uber or Lyft to work if the roads were icy, because ice is scary and I'd rather not take my chances with it.

● Do pedestrians stupidly jaywalk all the time? That used to happen a lot when I lived in Long Beach, CA, and it was always nerve-racking, but when you're a visually impaired driver, you're always on alert, so I never killed anyone.

● I've read the roads are full of potholes. Is that true? If any of you have lived in CA, how do the NC roads compare to CA roads?

● I used to want to move to Nashville, but I read that "Nashville isn't built on a grid like most cities. It's more like driving along a spider's web with downtown at the center. There's also a quick transition from uban to rural driving in some areas." Is Charlotte built on a grid like most normal cities? Will I ever be driving along a four-lane road with traffic lights and suddenly find myself on a winding dirt road with deer jumping out at me?

● I've never had a deer jump out in front of my car, or really ever heard of it happening to anyone I know here in CA. Is it common in NC for animals to jump in front of your car?

● I've read that public transit in Charlotte is actually really good, and I KNOW it must be better than public transit here in CA, which is garbage. Is there anywhere in Charlotte where I could live and work and get by without a car? If I lived and worked in uptown, could I get by without a car?

Please feel free to share any tips you can think of! I am planning a trip out to Charlotte before I actually move there, but in the meantime, I want to gather as much info as I possibly can.
Where did you end up moving and how was it not having a car? Looking for a similar place myself.

Old 12-31-2022, 03:21 PM

447 posts, read 372,513 times
Quote:

Weather is 180 degrees from San Franciscos. It is warm and comfortable in the spring and fall here usually. It is colder but not quite as damp in the winter. And L.A. hot in the summer. Unless you live in central Charlotte, drive. The cost of living will be a treat compared to SF. I used to visit my son there. He lived almost next to the Levi building. His place was far but he paid astronomical rent.

Someone else will have to help here.

?

Left turns have blinking yellow arrows when not green. Most stop signs will be in the neighborhoods or suburbs.

Usually snows lightly (2-3 inches) once or twice a year. As you say, ice occurs much more. Using uber is best if you are uneasy with ice.

Since Charlotte doesn't have the pedestrians or density of San Francisco, you won't have much probem with jaywalkers. I believe people are fined for jaywalking here. I don't see a problem though.

Roads in N.C. are good. We don't have the cold/icy weather that causes potholes. I lived in Santa Barbara. Roads here are just as good. Bad roads are in the snow belt.

Charlotte has mostly square blocks and a number system, i.e. 2nd St, 3rd St, etc.

No matter where you go, the threat is always there in rural areas. even in NYC. I have never hit a deer, but I drive around the country and they litter the roads everywhere. Around the Charlotte areas the woode d zones mostly have fences to keep them from going into the streets.

Yes, there are such areas and all are in the central city mostly. The light rail runs west to east and offers lots of opportunity in the area. There are several close-in areas where you can live without a car.

Good luck. Charlotte is a nice area but it, nor any other place, is like San Francisco. that is good and bad. I spent time in San Francisco and my son lived there for years. We both came back to Charlotte. Well, he is in Europe now, but he went there from here and he will be back here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: