Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 11:05 AM

28 posts, read 32,199 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I am looking to relocate to the Charlotte area after my military enlistment in less than one year. I am actually planning to visit the city this week while I'm on leave, but need some leads on what areas to look at. Here are my stipulations...

*I have a toddler, so quality schools and safe communities are important to me
*I will also be attending graduate school in the near future, so being in close proximity to UNCC is a plus (no more than 20 minutes away)
*I am looking to rent for the first couple of years, my budget is $900/m for a two-bedroom apartment.
*Cultural diversity
*Walkable neighboorhood. Able to walk to restaurants/stores/park is a plus (but not absolutely necessary)
*Extra info: No, I will not have a job lined up when I do come to NC, but I intend to find a job working as a correctional counselor/case manager for adults or juveniles...basically, I'm looking for jobs with a social worker-type role in corrections/juvenile justice...or another industry...my plan is to strengthen my graduate application package with experience working with vulnerable populations and corrections/juvenile justice has attracted me. Also, money isn't too big of a factor at this point. I'll be on terminal leave for 2 months, so that's 2 months of still getting my military paycheck while I look for a job. And I will have over one year of living expenses saved for me and my son.
*Oh, and I've also considered Concord. There is nothing wrong with Concord...I'm just seeing if my stipulations can be met living in the city.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 06:56 AM

26 posts, read 28,547 times
Hello,
I am moving out there with my family next month so I am sure there are far more knowledgeable people than myself but since I didn't see any replies I wanted to help. My first thought was Concord like you listed. Other areas with quality schools and safe neighborhoods that I've looked into would be the towns near Lake Norman. Huntersville seems closest to UNCC, Cornelius and Mooresville. We are looking at Mooresville, they do have some nice two bedrooms in the $900 range. But from what Ive read and seen from my visit is that traffic can be really bad on the 77 so unless your classes are in off times Mooresville might not be a good option. Other areas that have good schools and safe areas are south charlotte, like Matthews/Mint Hill. I really don't know how the commute is from there to UNCC.

Hopefully people can correct me where I am wrong or add to this, just wanted to chime in hoping you would get some more responses. Good luck!

Old 05-20-2016, 04:21 PM

96 posts, read 219,557 times
Are you set on UNCC? Because Winthrop University in Rock Hill is another option for grad school and probably lower rent? Probably doesn't have the "walkable" aspect/city type thing you are looking for.

A lot of folks seem to like Harrisburg area near UNCC.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:04 PM

28 posts, read 32,199 times
Well, thanks to the two members above for your responses! I'm not sure why I didn't receive more...but I DID visit the Charlotte area last week for only 27 hours and I must admit that I was quite impressed within this short time I was there. Last Saturday I drove to "uptown" and the city was very vibrant! Unfortunately, all I had time to do was enjoy a steak dinner and do a bit of walking before the storm hit. Right when I was about to tour the city via the hoarse ride and before I could catch the Romeo & Juliet play from outside on the big screen they had on display for free, it began to pour! (But at least my son got a few pictures with the actors!) The next day, I toured Concord for just a bit and the first thing I noticed was how exceptionally FRIENDLY everyone was. Every person I passed while going for a stroll around downtown Concord said hello with a big, inviting smile. EVERY single person. This really warmed my heart. The town felt very community-oriented. Everyone was either on their way to church, walking their dog, or jogging. Now, I didn't get to see as much as I wanted to (nowhere near), but this was enough to plan another trip there. I can't wait!

Old 06-01-2016, 02:17 AM

26 posts, read 28,547 times
That's Great to hear! Looking forward to checking out Concord when we get there in a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte