Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 11:46 AM

11 posts, read 27,385 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Charlotte and were looking at neighbourhoods with best schools. Obviously, Ballantyne popped up as the top recommended. Then we were warned about the issue of busing students to spread diversity in schools. Does anyone of the situation now? Seemed it was resolved and then the issue started up again. Is Ballantyne always undergoing this problem?

Residents pay for high priced homes and pay high taxes only to have their kids attend the best schools. It's not fair if their children are forced to attend schools somewhere with poor academic performance. What's the use in families spending so much? Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.

Last edited by mnishas123; 05-15-2016 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 12:14 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,597 times
There were rumors to such effect, but CMS just announced it's new guidelines prioritizing schools close to home, with family income being considered for magnet schools. Ballantyne is quite a distance from low income areas - there is no plan to bus students long distances for economic diversity - other than for magnets which are voluntary.

Surprise CMS assignment guidelines spark hope and questions | The Charlotte Observer

Old 05-15-2016, 06:07 PM

11 posts, read 38,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnishas123 View Post
We are moving to Charlotte and were looking at neighbourhoods with best schools. Obviously, Ballantyne popped up as the top recommended. Then we were warned about the issue of busing students to spread diversity in schools. Does anyone of the situation now? Seemed it was resolved and then the issue started up again. Is Ballantyne always undergoing this problem?

Residents pay for high priced homes and pay high taxes only to have their kids attend the best schools. It's not fair if their children are forced to attend schools somewhere with poor academic performance. What's the use in families spending so much? Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.
Hi mnishas123, thanks for bringing this up. We are also planning a move to Ballantyne area due to good schools. Keeps us in the loop if you find anything on this issue.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi_Parents View Post
Hi mnishas123, thanks for bringing this up. We are also planning a move to Ballantyne area due to good schools. Keeps us in the loop if you find anything on this issue.
Have you looked at Concord? We are looking over there as well. Although Ballantyne student busing doesn't logically make sense and chances are it may not be passed, we don't want to take any risk with it. It does seem to be an ongoing issue. We heard about this in March and then in April that CMS is not going through with it. Sigh of relief briefly and then again in May found out that they are reconsidering.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:29 AM

71 posts, read 86,603 times
The take away lesson is that CMS desperately wants to disperse affluent white kids among poorer minority schools, but they don't feel like they can get away with it right now. So, someday they will see their chance and do it...however the number of white kids enrolled in CMS is a minority and continues to shrink each year. The writing is on the wall, I don't see any chance of things changing anytime in the future.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:52 AM

39 posts, read 53,371 times
Quote:
Residents pay for high priced homes and pay high taxes only to have their kids attend the best schools. It's not fair if their children are forced to attend schools somewhere with poor academic performance.
This is not the way taxes work, and it's not the way that a progressive society works. What's "not fair" would be economically disadvantaged children receiving a different tier of education because they were born poor. If you want to pay for school, you are free to do so. I suggest you do some research on the well-regarded private schools in the area.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:07 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,071,221 times
Quote:

Is it that obvious? There are great public schools near poor neighborhoods too.

Don't be so scared of being near those that are less fortunate than you. The fear of forced busing is real, but it's not related to any real likelihood of occurring. The person warning you is misinformed and likely scared of a lot of things that aren't that scary.

Your second paragraph is indicative of significant lack of perspective and empathy. Everyone deserves a safe, fair and free high quality education.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:29 PM

First of all, the discussion was about busing Ballantyne school students. There was no mention of poor neighbourhoods or disadvantaged children in my message. Ballantyne housing is expensive and taxes are higher than other areas. People still buy there because it has good schools. This is what I meant. Schools that have high academic achievements tend to be more in demand and preferred by families. What's wrong with that? Schools are a priority for most families and they compromise on a lot of things just to have their kids attend these schools.

I didn't discuss economically disadvantaged children. I feel for them just as much as you do, only I didn't talk about it here. You did. That's all the difference. You don't know me. I request that readers just look at a post as a post and not make baseless meanings out of it. No one can truly know one's nature or personality through social networking so please don't be so quick in judging them.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:58 AM

416 posts, read 928,460 times
The issue is still up in the air a little bit. CMS is using a consultant to map out school boundaries. I think there are boundaries that need to be redrawn in CMS. There are some schools (Myers Park for example) that have oddly shaped lines around the school excluding some poor areas very close by while picking up some more affluent areas further away). The Ballantyne area boundaries are pretty straight forward (major roads separate districts for example). CMS also has to deal with the issue of private school competition. If they were to bus kids out of Ballantyne, you'd probably see more families head to Indian Land or send their kids to private school (there are a lot of kids in private school from Ballantyne already).

I live in Ballantyne and have a kid in elementary school (and one a year away from starting). I live close enough to walk my kids to school (and do). Allows me to volunteer at the school and attend all my kid's activities. I'd have to reconsider keeping my kids in public schools if my kids were bused. I grew up in Matthews and was bused to Randolph Middle School. Spent about 2 hours a day on the bus. While there were some positives in attending Randolph, it really sucked to pass South Charlotte Middle and Carmel Middle on my way to school. I was at my bus stop before the sun was up and got home late. It was a really long day. I don't want that for my kids and hopefully CMS has enough sense to avoid anything like that again. At least there current outline/goals seem to indicate they don't want to go down that path.

Here is a good article (with boundary maps) showing the issue - points out the Myers Park issue.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/4138...-in-charlotte/

Old 05-17-2016, 09:21 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,071,221 times
Quote:
First of all, the discussion was about busing Ballantyne school students. There was no mention of poor neighbourhoods or disadvantaged children in my message. Ballantyne housing is expensive and taxes are higher than other areas. People still buy there because it has good schools. This is what I meant. Schools that have high academic achievements tend to be more in demand and preferred by families. What's wrong with that? Schools are a priority for most families and they compromise on a lot of things just to have their kids attend these schools.

I didn't discuss economically disadvantaged children. I feel for them just as much as you do, only I didn't talk about it here. You did. That's all the difference. You don't know me. I request that readers just look at a post as a post and not make baseless meanings out of it. No one can truly know one's nature or personality through social networking so please don't be so quick in judging them.

There is nothing wrong with people seeking good schools. Good luck to you.

My point is that your fear is not rooted in any real fact other than gossip. I am answering your question. The gossip you were told was inaccurate but the fear was real. Proximity is, and will remain, the highest priority consideration in any future boundary considerations for CMS schools.

When Ballantyne fought to keep affordable housing out of their community some of their residents showed their true color. I don't see any problem with advocating for the success of your own children but I do think the fear of others is considerable and misplaced. It's the reason this false message of forced busing gained so much steam and why you are posting about it on a message board digging for dirt. I'm not saying you don't care about poor people. Maybe you do. But many in your community do not and have proven as much by fighting against them. Sorry for assuming.

Also-part of my post was a reminder that while Ballantyne schools are great, many others in town are as well. Your use of "obviously" made it read like you are unaware of the other great schools and neighborhoods in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte