Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 09:00 AM

127 posts, read 102,225 times

Advertisements

Just putting my feelers out for my son, who's a post-graduation job hunter, and choosing to be close to family.

What is the pool like for young EEs, especially for those who like to focus more on the side of hardware and software engineering?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 04:13 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelkeks View Post
Just putting my feelers out for my son, who's a post-graduation job hunter, and choosing to be close to family.

What is the pool like for young EEs, especially for those who like to focus more on the side of hardware and software engineering?

Thanks!!
Post grad STEM major markets are overly saturated. I advise your son, if he can't find anything in a few months, to look further from home. Unless you have a master of science, it's either going to take several months or getting another job not related to your major. If he has internships or did independent studies, he should have a much easier time with a BS.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:05 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:

Thanks!!
Tell your son to look on Indeed. Start with Charlotte. If that doesn't work, then shift to towns/cities outside of Charlotte, for instance, Gastonia, Concord, Rock Hill, Shelby, Hickory.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:11 AM

127 posts, read 102,225 times
Thanks!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for him.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:03 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Thanks!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for him.
Hopefully he already has a solid linkedin profile, if not set up one. Then network, network via linkedin, etc. If he's interned, etc, use those contacts and school career placement center. My advice would be to take the best job with best company in the most desirable geographic location. If he has a decent GPA with any internship/co-op work, he will not have a problem finding a job within a few months, anywhere.

Make sure he attends any IEEE events or other technical related conferences, job fairs etc in the area. Also go over to UNCC placement center to see if they'll allow him to use their career placement center (most local companies use UNCC to fill entry level positions). Else, sign up for a UNCC course and son should be allowed to use the UNCC career placement center and attend recruiting events/career fair. Most schools have career fairs in the fall and spring...

https://careerfairs.uncc.edu/student.php

Old 07-18-2016, 12:49 PM

16 posts, read 19,370 times
If he can't find anything in Charlotte, try Greenville, SC. At one time, it had the largest number of engineers per capita of any city. Still a good bit of automation work too if he wants to get into control systems.
Its no Charlotte, but Greenville has a lot more to offer these days to the post college age than it used to.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:25 PM

515 posts, read 1,037,001 times
He should really focus on skills, if that takes him away from Charlotte, then so be it.

I see a lot of young engineers taking "a job" then a few years down the road they have no marketable skills. If they get let go, if it very hard to find an entry level type job once you have a few years of experience. Don't be afraid to bounce around a bit in the first few years to see what he likes, just have a good reason for each move and focus on skill sets...

Old 07-18-2016, 05:35 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
He should really focus on skills, if that takes him away from Charlotte, then so be it.

I see a lot of young engineers taking "a job" then a few years down the road they have no marketable skills. If they get let go, if it very hard to find an entry level type job once you have a few years of experience. Don't be afraid to bounce around a bit in the first few years to see what he likes, just have a good reason for each move and focus on skill sets...
This

Old 07-18-2016, 06:30 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
WSOC announced a company coming to Claremont that will be hiring engineers. The OP should check the WSOC website. There is a company with facilities in Kings Mountain & Shelby that hires electrical engineers. Those jobs would show up in searches of Indeed.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:00 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post

Very rarely do electrical engineers land jobs that don't allow for developing marketable skill sets. Whether it's technical sales, project management, etc. Not all EE's need be or desire to be hardware or software designers or developers.

I do agree that bouncing around a bit geographically and/or company every 5-7 years is advisable. Unless you land in a great culture and company...don't leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte