Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 09:47 PM

452 posts, read 1,345,052 times

Advertisements

I just received a charlotte visitors guide. I will be visiting charlotte feb15. I saw they have a nice place being built in uptown called the EPICENTRE.
Is it open Yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
EpiCentre, which broke ground in June 2005, will become Uptown's marquee entertainment and retail destination. Consisting of a 265,000 sq ft retail center, a 50-story condominium tower, an 'aLoft' Hotel, and 60,000 sq ft of office space, the project will provide synergy with neighboring Charlotte Bobcats Arena. EpiCentre will also include a movie theatre, bowling alley, and numerous shops and dining options. The project is slated to be complete in early 2008.

It still under construction

Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Epicentre Uptown is gonna be great. Very few things will be open this soon. I think Whisky River Saloon is open or opening soon. It is gonna bring Bowling, Movie Theatrers, more Restaurants, more Clubs, shopping, residential, A-Loft Hotel (A spin off of the W Hotel chain) and more to Uptown!

I am so glad. The old vacant Charlotte Convention sat empty for years and years!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:13 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
The theatre will be a Muvico www.muvico.com

Old 01-15-2008, 01:23 PM

Anyonw know how long that old convention center sat empty. I have lived here about 16 years and it has been vacant at least 10 or more. It was an eyesore on S. College St.

Ritz-Carlton hotel going up at the corner of College & Trade use to be a parking for BofA. That is a little to close to the transit center for a 5 star hotel to be going (just my opinion though).

Old 01-15-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Anyonw know how long that old convention center sat empty. I have lived here about 16 years and it has been vacant at least 10 or more. It was an eyesore on S. College St.

Ritz-Carlton hotel going up at the corner of College & Trade use to be a parking for BofA. That is a little to close to the transit center for a 5 star hotel to be going (just my opinion though).

I remember when the new convention center was built around the 90's and they had a boat show that a boat got stuck trying to get into the showroom.

I like the old convention center it was unique in design of its roof. I didnt find it a eye sore just because they have a few boards on the windows and doors to keep vagrance out.

It and the epicentre sit in the pit of what use to be a river and will never enhance the skyline due to it location.

Why is the ritz hotel beside the transportation center a bad thing?

Old 01-15-2008, 01:36 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
The new convention center I believed opened in about 97 (a few years before I got here). Didn't really know what the old convention center was til they blew it up, though I had seen it many times from the trolley, I jsut didnt know that was it.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I remember when the new convention center was built around the 90's and they had a boat show that a boat got stuck trying to get into the showroom.

I like the old convention center it was unique in design of its roof. I didnt find it a eye sore just because they have a few boards on the windows and doors to keep vagrance out.

It and the epicentre sit in the pit of what use to be a river and will never enhance the skyline due to it location.

Why is the ritz hotel beside the transportation center a bad thing?
I did like the roof of the old convention center too. I guess they had to board it up to keep vagrants out.

As far as the transit center is concerned (and it is just my opinion), they have had several problems at the transit center and the Ritz Carlton will be 1 block away.

I personally believe there are gang bangers and trouble makers at the transit center. Keep in mind I live Uptown and will go just about anywhere at anytime, but the transit center is a place I avoid.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:03 PM

You should sit in the middle of the transportation center and just people watch and you will see it just every day people trying to get from point a to point b.
The gang baner problem that happen years ago was addressed and there is plenty of cops that hang out in the center now even with their own police station and anyone that enters that center is being watch on video camera.
If you ever feel unsafe you can go on either side inside and wait for your bus grab something to eat.
Even though when transportation center has been updated inside I think they need to clean up the exterior.

ok back on topic I hope epicentre is a success because one major compliant I see in hotel reviews is the lack of entertainment and shopping.
Over street mall is ok but the shops are more like what you find in a airport.

Im concern about the epicentre developer due to the Torrence Creek project lacks any luster. Also college street is not very eye appealing due to it in the down slope of that "river bed" and the back side of many buildings. Ideal location with the lynx line though.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:14 PM

And by no means was I judging anyone. That is not for me to do!

And by far, the prettiest street Uptown is Tryon St. North and South of the Square!

There are some beautiful residential streets Uptown too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte