Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 07:17 PM

11 posts, read 9,859 times

Advertisements

I know there are numerous threads on moving to Charlotte so bear with me, I am on the verge of landing a role in Charlotte in uptown for a financial institution, I would be coming from the NYC area. Looking for a commute under 45 mins during rush hour, schools are very important, Budget is 500k. Would like around .25 acre in a community with amenities. Been looking at Huntersville, Fort Mill, Waxhaw and areas feeding into Ardrey Kell and Providence High Schools. Am I missing any areas that have good schools. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 01:26 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,070,151 times
Yeah there are a ton of neighborhoods in the city with great schools that you are overlooking. Get on zillow.com with your price and follow the leads.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:58 AM

488 posts, read 799,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSC_2017 View Post
I know there are numerous threads on moving to Charlotte so bear with me, I am on the verge of landing a role in Charlotte in uptown for a financial institution, I would be coming from the NYC area. Looking for a commute under 45 mins during rush hour, schools are very important, Budget is 500k. Would like around .25 acre in a community with amenities. Been looking at Huntersville, Fort Mill, Waxhaw and areas feeding into Ardrey Kell and Providence High Schools. Am I missing any areas that have good schools. Thanks in advance.
45 minutes in rush hour traffic is not going to get you very far from uptown. Definitely not Huntersville, Ballyntyne or Fort Mill. I am talking 5-6 pm traffic. If you work earlier or later then sure. I live in Davidson which is above Huntersville and if I leave before 7 am and the traffic gods are happy I can get to the parking decks uptown in 45-50 minutes. If I leave any later it is at least an hour. Coming home is a bit better (leaving at 4ish)

Unless you are willing to pay for toll roads each way and you are definite on your commute time during peak hours then I would look closer in.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:06 AM

776 posts, read 1,063,568 times
Huntersville, Waxhaw and Fort Mill will NOT fall into those schools, but you wont have any problem finding homes in South Charlotte that do in your price range. There are some really nice homes and even Basement homes in Highland Creek Which is a large golf and fitness community on the north side of Charlotte near Concord Mills. The cabarrus side of it feeds into Cox Mill High which consistently does well. I used to live there and loved every minute of living there. Its a tree filled neighborhood close to a lot of things and remains very active with community events. Christenbury is anther neighborhood of Cox Mill road just outside the school and Highland Creek that has very nice newer homes and even basements. Most homes in the main section are $400 and up.

South Charlotte is an excellent choice too especially the schools you are looking at. Myers Park Schools are also very nice. Charlotte is hard to pin-point because there are so many nice areas to live and nothing is that far away. I wouldnt go out to Fot Mill unless you want aa long commute that isnt necessary. Waxhaw is very rural and generic. Usually when people move to Charllotte from NYC they end up chosing a rural community for change but then complain that they dont have all the conveniences they had in NY. So My advice (especially from someone who has relocated over a dozen times to different cities all over like DC, Charlotte, Minneapolis, Denver, Dallas, Chicago, etc) Stick with something you know you like and then make it home from there. Your pace of life will already slow way down when you move down to Charlotte. Traffic is pretty bad anyway so why add to it by going out further than you need to . Simply put.... If you ike modern convenieces, churches, shopping, dining, quaint shops, eateries, parks, theaters etc. the South Charlotte is your best bet. If you want something a little more suburban, then id suggest Highland Creek 28269 zip or Huntersville if the schools is Cox Mill. Skybrook is a nice subdivision in Huntersville. If you like the idea of being near a lake, the Huntersville, Corrnelius and Davidson are nice choices too. Very vibrant nd fun area, but congested. And I know people get all worked up over posting websites, but I assure you, I have no affiliation with this site. I just like it over some because you can search by school or subdivision. Your budget will get you what youre looking for. You willl find that you don't have to spend that much if you dont want. Good luck in your decision and I hope this helps.

Here area couple of links to homes that fall into your schools
Providence:
http://www.terravistarealty.com/sear...4AFpnjZx944mBQ

Ardrey kell
http://www.terravistarealty.com/sear...NBrkABB9XUfAbE

Cox Mill
http://www.terravistarealty.com/sear...ZNSqmNAzW86bPB

Old 01-07-2017, 05:48 AM

400 posts, read 564,062 times
Search around the 28211 zip code.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:26 AM

11 posts, read 9,859 times
Thanks all, appreciate the well thought out answers. I will start looking in South Charlotte since that seems like the best commuting options to uptown.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:32 PM

309 posts, read 766,244 times
A word of caution if you are targeting Providence HS and Ardrey Kell. They are part of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg and they can move students/neighborhoods at will by redrawing the zones to satisfy their educational/societal mandates.
Even Union County is hearing rumblings of redistricting again. This is the reality of county school districts that are different from the smaller districts you find in NJ, NY and CT.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
A word of caution if you are targeting Providence HS and Ardrey Kell. They are part of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg and they can move students/neighborhoods at will by redrawing the zones to satisfy their educational/societal mandates.
Even Union County is hearing rumblings of redistricting again. This is the reality of county school districts that are different from the smaller districts you find in NJ, NY and CT.
Even if redistricted these schools will continue to be great. Fear not.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:50 PM

5,457 posts, read 6,052,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
I think it's progressed to more than "rumblings" in Union County. Several Board members discussed and motioned it in open session, and there is a questionnaire asking for volunteers to serve on a parent advisory committee. I talked to a Board member last week that says it's pretty much a done deal.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:23 PM

When union county redistricts it will also remain a great system. A necessary adjustment related to population growth shouldn't be summarized as an indication of failure. The sky is not falling in Union County or CMS!

Last edited by Essequamvideri; 01-07-2017 at 08:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte