Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 01:38 PM

72 posts, read 238,510 times

Advertisements

Hey all -

I live in the 28269 area and for the past few weeks have been having a lot of my mail (especially Christmas and birthday cards) ripped open. I live in an apartment, the only two people with access to my locked box are myself and the post office delivery person. I had $30 taken from my birthday card (yes my friend was dumb to send cash), and I had a Christmas card with a folded-up newsletter ripped open. After the first incident, I thought it was something to do with where it was being sent from (NYC) but I am starting to think that it's happening on my end. Is anyone else experiencing this?? It makes me SO mad to know that we can't even trust our postal workers, and that I have to worry about not getting all of my mail. I realize this is a common occurrence around the holidays but never in my LIFE have I ever experienced this before. I sent an email to the post office, but they dont respond, and I dont know who else to take this to... Ugh!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 01:48 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,549,139 times
Default Doubt it is USPS worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneygirl1180 View Post
Hey all -

I live in the 28269 area and for the past few weeks have been having a lot of my mail (especially Christmas and birthday cards) ripped open. I live in an apartment, the only two people with access to my locked box are myself and the post office delivery person. I had $30 taken from my birthday card (yes my friend was dumb to send cash), and I had a Christmas card with a folded-up newsletter ripped open. After the first incident, I thought it was something to do with where it was being sent from (NYC) but I am starting to think that it's happening on my end. Is anyone else experiencing this?? It makes me SO mad to know that we can't even trust our postal workers, and that I have to worry about not getting all of my mail. I realize this is a common occurrence around the holidays but never in my LIFE have I ever experienced this before. I sent an email to the post office, but they dont respond, and I dont know who else to take this to... Ugh!!!!
I would be truly shocked if USPS workers were tampering w/ your mail! That would have serious repercussions.

I have had problems w/ this several times in my life, and every instance was b/c mail had been delivered to the wrong address - someone had opened it mistakenly - then re-sent it through USPS for delivery to correct address.

Perhaps someone is putting your mail in the wrong box to begin with. . . ??? Call your local USPS branch; tell them what has happened; ask them to look into it. They were always very helpful to me.

Good luck!

Oh - PS. If someone wanted to rip off your money out of your letter/card, why would they bother to then put the letter/card in your box after removing the cash? It doesn't make sense. They would just discard the piece of mail - no evidence. ????

Old 12-26-2007, 01:56 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,771,556 times
If it's a community mailbox that you would normally find at an apartment complex then most likely someone has a master key. They are shuffling through the mailboxes looking for anything they can find. This is pretty common for identity theft victims.

I seriously doubt it is your USPS mail carrier.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:00 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,438,529 times
I don't doubt it having worked at US Post Office. They will open mail to make sure there is no contraband in it and not tell you if it looks suspicous or is coming from another country. Not only that, many parts of Charlotte and surrounding areas outsource rural delivery to independent contractors. It happens sometimes to me too. Sometimes it is the fault of the machines opening the mail.

As far as ripping off the money; there are more valuable things in mail such as checks with a person's whole name, address, bank account number and sometimes drivers license number.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,558,888 times
Get a PO box and call the FBI since that is there turf.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:28 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,805,277 times
I've had the same problem with our carrier a few years ago when we moved into our new house. We had a few friends leave cards in our mailbox that they placed there, not through the USPS. We never received them. When we called to complain we were told that unless the card was put there by a mail carrier we didn't have any recourse since a mailbox is for USPS use only.

That may be, and I understand it, but the guy had no right to take our gift cards and housewarming presents. I left a nasty note in my box for him and also listed a note for our neighbors and friends that they are to leave anything for us on our doorstep and not in the box since our mail carrier steals them

After the note was left we didn't have any problems. I'm sorry you have had problems, but I thought I'd share my story. The supervisors at the Post Office weren't very helpful when I ever tried to contact them.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,558,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I've had the same problem with our carrier a few years ago when we moved into our new house. We had a few friends leave cards in our mailbox that they placed there, not through the USPS. We never received them. When we called to complain we were told that unless the card was put there by a mail carrier we didn't have any recourse since a mailbox is for USPS use only.

That may be, and I understand it, but the guy had no right to take our gift cards and housewarming presents. I left a nasty note in my box for him and also listed a note for our neighbors and friends that they are to leave anything for us on our doorstep and not in the box since our mail carrier steals them

After the note was left we didn't have any problems. I'm sorry you have had problems, but I thought I'd share my story. The supervisors at the Post Office weren't very helpful when I ever tried to contact them.
Tampering with the inside of a mailbox is a federal offense same thing applies to flyers.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:20 PM

92 posts, read 318,127 times
Okay, after reading your post and it's replies...I tried to picture myself opening someone else's mail that looked like it had $$ in it....and I realized if I did that....the last thing I would do is put the opened mail in your box after I robbed it.

So, what you have is a postal error or a stupid criminal...why don't you devote some time, if possible to keeping an eye on what is happening at your mailbox...it may be a few days of irritating work but you may be able to relieve your mind...

P.S. I'd mail myself a card full of cash just to bait the crook if that's the case!!!

Old 12-27-2007, 11:12 AM

47 posts, read 192,916 times
We've had that problem off and on since moving to Charlotte.

We've also had problems with outgoing mail (personally mailed from the post office, at the counter) not being received for weeks.

It's been a while since we've received anything open. But a few weeks ago, I saw our mail contractor leave about 90 boxes open on the wall block while he went in between to fiddle about with those 180 or so boxes.

When I asked him if he was finished with the unattended open boxes, he told me no. I told him he shouldn't be leaving people's mail unattended. He retorted by saying he could see the boxes from where he was.

Um, yeah he could. If he was Superman. My daughter and I both walked up to the wall and could have robbed any box if we were the type.

I called and reported him immediately. A supervisor did call me back but I couldn't take the call. The supervisor did not leave his name and when I tried to call the number back that he'd left, it was disconnected.

My issue with that scenario was that I was asked for my name. Uh, hello??? If the man gets fired (and if he just gets a reprimand) why do I want him to know my name (so he'll know which mail is mine)?

And please don't say he wouldn't try anything. Postal workers in this country had a reputation some years ago.

But seriously, I knew he was a contractor because he was driving a personal vehicle and wasn't wearing a uniform.

The woman at the Post Office toll free number confirmed that he was a contractor and was only too happy to take my complaint.

You can also file a complaint online at USPS.com.

We are in an apartment complex in 28269 too. Please report your situation. The postal service should be made aware of this type of activity.

I agree that there are master keys around. I do remember seeing a flier in my mailbox from our rental at least once.

Hmmm... I think I'll e-mail the post office and ask if that's legal.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:16 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,438,529 times
When I lived in an apartment in Charlotte I went to get my mail out while thatwhole door as wide open and the postal worker (not a contractor) started yelling at me. I don't mess with postal workers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: