Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 12,386 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow Charlotteans-

Just wondered if anyone has any feedback around some of these buy here pay here lots in town. My family just went through a nightmare experience with a place called Moderator cut: consumer complaint read the clause in the tos . They totally ripped us off with the first car that broke down after 2 months (engine seized up) 2002 malibu- after they claimed to have fixed the radiator. Then, when we thought they would make it right, and help us, they put us in a worse vehicle. We took it to AAA for a used car inspection before accepting it, and after promising to fix whatever the issues were ( we were only concerned about safety-brakes, wipers etc.) They argued with us and the AAA report, saying the rotors were fine-AAA said they were totally worn down.
In the end, our time was robbed and we were so stressed, we told them forget it. We wanted at least half of our down payment back, (down payment was $1500.00) They gave us $400. They lied to us a few weeks after that again, becuase the owner called and said he felt bad, and wanted to give us more of our down payment. (after i slammed them on google) Then when i went in to get the balance, he said his accountant advised him against it. Not to mention Nour Auto kept telling us the whole time they were losing money and had done us so many favors. We were the problem customers..
I needed to vent here- There should be better regulations and laws for these car lots.
On a positive note, we ended up getting a great deal on a car from another small lot called Auto King. They didnt jerk us around and our car is still under manufacturers warranty! For us thats a must.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-19-2009 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 05:36 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
Sounds to me like you would be better served going to a reputable place like CarMax rather than these privately owned lots.

Buy Here Pay Here just sounds sketchy IMO

Old 12-19-2009, 07:02 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Sorry to hear about the problem, but you take a great risk buying from a used car lot or in a private sale. And by risk, I mean that there is usually no expressed or implied warranty on the item once the transaction is complete.

While I empathize with your experience, I have to say that place sounds like they tried to make things right. I am not surprised the accountant advised against the owner throwing more money your way.

I just bought a used vehicle for a family member last week. On the way home from SC, it had a coolant leak. I nursed the van back to where we bought it and the fellow gave me a choice of him fixing it or refunding the sale (less a small amount). We let him fix it and we went on our way.

Unfortunately, most of the coolant that leaked went into the alternator and killed it, so I had to replace the alternator a day later. But, that's the price we pay for the type of purchase we made.

Good luck with your new purchase.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 11,917 times
this place sounds like one here in town called "EAGLE AUTO SALES" had alot of family members buy from them all at once and evryone of them had bad cars. one had motor blow in just 2 months, computer blew out in one after less than a month, another had transmission go out in 2 weeks.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
why would people go to a used car lot and then be shocked by rip off? buy from private owner always.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:49 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
The buy here pay here lots operate by getting a large down payment which covers what they have in the car and then finance the buyer on a weekly pay plan at a high interest rate.This is how they offer the "no credit check"gimmick. It almost 100% profit for the dealer after he gets the down payment. They specialize in putting people into cars who have no other option. The only way to protect yourself is to have any car inspected by your own mechanic FIRST and make sure any promises made are in WRITING. I went to one of these type lots once to find a car and when I said I would be paying cash the guy looked at me like I was crazy. They dont make the same profit from cash sales and prefer the high rate payment plans.

Last edited by Nativechief; 02-18-2010 at 09:58 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 02:26 PM

13 posts, read 47,001 times
Ok people. Let me explain something..if you have bad credit, a buy here pay here place is your only option aside from buying from an individual. My credit is terrible,so I have had to resort a buy here pay here place twice. The 1st car, was decent, although I was young and stupid and drove the hell out of it. I thought the 160mph on the dash was a myth and dogged it out...the second one, an 88 f150, 750 down, and. 50 a week,for a yr. I drove it for 3 yrs before I gave it to my mother and she still drives it today.and that was 2 yrs ago. The key is to take a car your serious about buying to a dealership for a diagnostics check (bout50 bucks). Buy here pay here places are win some lose some, but if your engine siezes up 2 months later, it was kind of your fault for not keeping the car properly maintained. Don't always expect used cars to be leak free,and without any problems because if it was perfect, why would the previous owner have gotten another car. Car-fax the vin before you buy as well. I paid around 3 grand for my ford, and put about 1200 in it to keep it running. All in all I can't complain

Old 03-25-2010, 02:34 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Brandal, you are way off base with at least one of your remarks. It's the main one I will address here.

"Buy here pay here places are win some lose some, but if your engine siezes up 2 months later, it was kind of your fault for not keeping the car properly maintained."

WRONG!

If you buy a car and the engine seizes in 2 months, you got screwed. I've got a truck with 175000 miles on it and I ran 12000 miles on an oil change and nothing happened. Its been well over 2 months since I chaned the oil. For a car to die that soon, it was a turd to begin with and there is no amount of maintenance you could have done to prevent it (unless you were driving with absolutely no fluids in it).

I'll agree wholeheartedly with the CarFax and independent inspection. That's good practice no matter who you buy used from.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:21 PM

339 posts, read 715,376 times
Not all buy here pay here lots are bad. There used to be one off of Central years ago, I think it was called AJ's auto sales. A friend of mine bought a car there and it lasted forever. Just like anywhere, there are crooks out there but there are also decent people trying to help people get transportation.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 PM

595 posts, read 1,622,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
WRONG!

If you buy a car and the engine seizes in 2 months, you got screwed. I've got a truck with 175000 miles on it and I ran 12000 miles on an oil change and nothing happened. Its been well over 2 months since I chaned the oil. For a car to die that soon, it was a turd to begin with and there is no amount of maintenance you could have done to prevent it (unless you were driving with absolutely no fluids in it).
If the car was leaking oil, then it could seize up in a short amount of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte