Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 01:46 PM

9 posts, read 10,338 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are planning on moving to the Waxhaw area this summer. We are interested in a house that was in Cuthbertson schools but redistricted to Sun Valley. I hear mixed things about Sun Valley schools. Now I hear talk that Wesley Oaks, where the house is, might be redistricted back to Cuthbertson. Can anyone provide a good insight into both districts? We are coming to see all of the schools on May 15th and meeting with administration. But I would love to hear what parents have to say that may be in the Wesley Oaks area whose children go to Sun Valley.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 02:00 PM

5,461 posts, read 6,069,838 times
Wesley Oaks was ground zero for most of the concern arising out of the reassignment of students 4 years ago. Since that time several Wesley Oaks residents have been extremely active in UCPS. They currently have a resident on school board (Mrs. Heintel) and another resident (Mrs. May) as co-chair of the reassignment committee. I would suggest making your inquiries of those people, or even with the board member that initially proposed the newest round of reassignment initiatives (Mr. Sides). Go to this URL to find their contact information. Better to ask those in charge for their opinions.

https://www.ucps.k12.nc.us

Old 04-06-2017, 02:01 PM

Thank you!

Old 04-07-2017, 06:53 AM

430 posts, read 805,022 times
I'll chime in. My children are in elementary school still, but I live in WO. Personally, I will have zero problems sending my children to Sun Valley, which will happen the year after next if we don't get redistricted again. Out of all the people I know who have actually sent their children there, there isn't one person unhappy with the school. The ones I know who don't like it are the ones whose children haven't gone there. This doesn't mean there aren't unhappy people, but I have not met them myself.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:58 AM

Thank you! That is very encouraging, and I am hearing that from a lot of parents. If my girls start 8th grade there in August and then they redistrict again for 2018, will they get moved to another school or stay at Sun Valley? It's a big move for us so I don't want them to have to switch schools.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:25 AM

73 posts, read 91,821 times
Hi - Good luck on your anticipated move! Never easy, and taking kids through it with us just makes it that much harder. We moved to the area a little over a year ago and with a 2 kids - middle school and elementary - school choice was a major consideration.

My insights from research for what they're worth is that Cuthbertson carries the better ratings - test scores, grad percentage, etc - when you look at rating services like greatschools.com. Specifically Cuthbertson stands at a "10" currently with Sun Valley Middle at a "5". That said, there's so much that goes into those ratings, and often a more diverse, both racially and economically, student body will sometimes create a diversity in achievement as well. And that's not necessarily bad. Involved parents, academically gifted kids, and the right motivations will always trump anything a school can do to get your kids ready.

With all that, we did choose a school district that rated well. We liked the more stability and less likelihood of redistricting where we settled as well. But I took a position as a mortgage loan officer in Ballantyne and we ultimately decided that proximity to work, liking our home and neighborhood, access to amenities, and safety in the area were all factors that carried more weight than the local school rating - As long as the school itself was still clean, safe, and demonstrated caring towards its students.

Where are you moving in from? I hope all goes well and please reach out directly if you have any questions or concerns I might be able to help with.

John Kotrides

Old 04-07-2017, 08:28 AM

Hi John.

Thanks for your reply. We are from Long Island. We will be meeting with Sun Valley and Cuthbertson on May 15th, so hopefully that will help us with our decision. I also have a job interview in the Ballantyne area on May 12th. I am in the insurance industry. Where did you move there from?

Old 04-07-2017, 08:36 AM

Fellow New Yorker - if not "New Yawker" LOL

Upstate here most recently in Rochester but also lived in Buffalo for a while. Ballantyne is beautiful and I love working here. We live in Indian Land just about a 15-minute commute down fairly quiet back roads which makes things easy. We're also only about a 10-minute drive from downtown Waxhaw which lets us enjoy the events they have there like a local merchant meet and greet with the Easter Bunny they're holding tonight.

Absolutely for us the very best combination of rural/suburban living, low SC taxes, good schools and amazing weather. Although it was difficult to move...I've written more than a few blog posts about it LOL - we haven't regretted it for a second.

Our now 13 year old hated us for a little while but entering the teenage years, we felt she would hate us anyway. Better to be hated in nice weather.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:38 AM

LOL I love your post!!! Glad you like it. Did you move to the Ballantyne area or SC?

Old 04-07-2017, 08:44 AM

We live in Indian Land, SC. It's an unincorporated "Town" in Lancaster County. Lots of growth and development going on here, but still somewhat rural feel - unless you talk to some natives who've seen a lot of change come to their once sleepy little town. The people - natives and transplants alike - are friendly, there are many different communities to choose from, and they continue to build.

Not to make your job more difficult but check out Bridgemill or Queensbridge Communities. We live in the Chastain Village development and there are tons of kids in the neighborhood and housing prices and taxes were more reasonable for us here, without really adding to the commute or taking away from access to restaurants, shopping, etc. There's even a retail movie complex being built next year that's been started so plenty to do close to home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte