Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 02:33 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
6 to 8 lanes will still have congestion, no matter what. So that's why I was asking if they would put express lanes along.
It should be 8 lanes to the state line. The current plan is an improvement. Where do you get the idea that toll lanes are needed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 03:39 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
I've never really understood the reasoning behind I-74's alignment. It seems to me that, since bypasses were already planned for Shelby and Monroe, I-74 should have just followed US-74 across the state.
It was legislated by Congress in the early 1990's. Even if Congress hadn't made it into law, the corridor would have to be a different number since I-74 violates the numbering grid. Last year, NCDOT tried to get US-70 between I-40 near Raleigh and Morehead City designated as Future I-36, but AASHTO rejected it and changed it to I-42 because of the numbering violation. I-36 could've easily worked for US-74.

Quote:
I-73 would follow US-220 from Rockingham to Greensboro (then Martinsville? not sure of the plan)
Yep.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:35 PM

378 posts, read 418,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It should be 8 lanes to the state line. The current plan is an improvement. Where do you get the idea that toll lanes are needed?
Because NCDOT seems to be going crazy with them. They are putting some further out the state, and some on 440 and 40 between Raleigh and Durham. and towards the outer banks, there will be a new bridge that will be tolled.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
Because NCDOT seems to be going crazy with them. They are putting some further out the state, and some on 440 and 40 between Raleigh and Durham. and towards the outer banks, there will be a new bridge that will be tolled.
Look at a map & you will see that it would be senseless.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:17 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
I've never really understood the reasoning behind I-74's alignment. It seems to me that, since bypasses were already planned for Shelby and Monroe, I-74 should have just followed US-74 across the state. Wilmington to Charlotte would be pretty straightforward. Once in Charlotte, I-74 would loop around I-485, then join I-85 and head west past Gastonia. I-74 and I-85 would split at Kings Mountain, and I-74 would follow US-74 through Kings Mountain and Shelby before joining I-26 in Columbus and continuing to Asheville. Charlotte would then have direct interstate access to both Asheville and Wilmington.

I-73 would follow US-220 from Rockingham to Greensboro (then Martinsville? not sure of the plan), and if the state had to have a spur running through Winston-Salem and High Point, it could be derived from either I-77 or I-73 (i.e. I-777 or I-773).

That's just my two cents anyway. I would think that having a bunch of different names (i.e. I-x74 between Charlotte and Rockingham, the inevitable I-x26 between Columbus and Kings Mountain, and the existing I-85 and I-485 sections) for what would essentially be a continuous route would be much more confusing than simply giving it one name.
Interstate 74 is being extended eastward from Ohio to South Carolina.

United States Route 74 from Cleveland, Tennessee, to Rockingham could be an interstate highway. Extending Interstate 24 eastward could resolve this.

Winston-Salem has auxiliary interstate highways planned. The western segment of Winston-Salem's northern bypass is proposed as Interstate 274. United States Route 52 from Interstate 85 to Interstate 40 and eventually to Interstate 74 is proposed as Interstate 285. United States Route 421 from Interstate 77 to Winston-Salem could be an auxiliary interstate highway (Interstate x77).

Old 11-22-2017, 09:24 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I-36 could've easily worked for US-74.
Or what about I-38!

Old 11-22-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
It was legislated by Congress in the early 1990's. Even if Congress hadn't made it into law, the corridor would have to be a different number since I-74 violates the numbering grid. Last year, NCDOT tried to get US-70 between I-40 near Raleigh and Morehead City designated as Future I-36, but AASHTO rejected it and changed it to I-42 because of the numbering violation. I-36 could've easily worked for US-74.

Yep.
Also, keep in mind that it's very unlikely for there to be an I 76 around here, unless it takes a very unusual route, as I 76 is in Philadelphia, as a nod to 1776.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:07 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Interstate 74 is being extended eastward from Ohio to South Carolina.
That was the plan, but Ohio and West Virginia backed out of it. Ohio isn't interested in new interstates and West Virginia is slowly rebuilding US-52 as a surface route, not a freeway. US-52 between I-77 near Bluefield and Huntington is/was part of the I-73/I-74 corridor. As for South Carolina, there's absolutely no reason for I-74 to go to Myrtle Beach. Myrtle Beach is already getting I-73. I-74 needs to go to Wilmington. South Carolina wants I-73 & I-74 and yet they refuse to extend I-20 from Florence to Wilmington. Go figure.

Quote:
United States Route 74 from Cleveland, Tennessee, to Rockingham could be an interstate highway. Extending Interstate 24 eastward could resolve this.
I actually like that idea, but I can't see Tennessee footing the bill for extending an interstate just to benefit NC. Not to mention the mountainous terrain would make it very costly, plus it would go through Nantahala National Forest. That's a recipe for protests and lawsuits.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
That was the plan, but Ohio and West Virginia backed out of it. Ohio isn't interested in new interstates and West Virginia is slowly rebuilding US-52 as a surface route, not a freeway. US-52 between I-77 near Bluefield and Huntington is/was part of the I-73/I-74 corridor. As for South Carolina, there's absolutely no reason for I-74 to go to Myrtle Beach. Myrtle Beach is already getting I-73. I-74 needs to go to Wilmington. South Carolina wants I-73 & I-74 and yet they refuse to extend I-20 from Florence to Wilmington. Go figure.

I actually like that idea, but I can't see Tennessee footing the bill for extending an interstate just to benefit NC. Not to mention the mountainous terrain would make it very costly, plus it would go through Nantahala National Forest. That's a recipe for protests and lawsuits.
I wish I-24 went to Greenville if NCDOT plans to build a new freeway Maybe run it on US 74 and US 64 and then on to I-40 in Raleigh and onto Knightdale Bypass and onto US 264? These are just my opinions. This is not a real thing.

I think Wilmington has enough interstates. They are getting I-74 and they currently have I-40.

Greenville has nothing, but I-587 was alright for me. Because I think that spur is a little bit too long.

(Don't think it's ever gonna happen though)

Old 11-25-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Is it cause SCDOT is too lazy to extend I-20 that would follow US 74 and want I-73 and I-74 going to the same city? By the way, I would find it hard to upgrade that NC 140 and US 74 existing interchange to a free-flow interchange. How are they gonna do that, LM117?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte