Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:15 AM

24 posts, read 115,558 times

Advertisements

Can anyone shed some light on the I40 exit ? Is this what they call the Newport bypass? How about the construction on 321 by Parrottsville?
I would appreciate any info or rumors about these roads.
I was told that Six Flags and Disney were considering building in this area
along with the development of a shopping area. I have no idea if these stories are true because I did not see anything in the local papers.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 10:33 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 39CHEVY View Post
Can anyone shed some light on the I40 exit ? Is this what they call the Newport bypass? How about the construction on 321 by Parrottsville?
I would appreciate any info or rumors about these roads.
I was told that Six Flags and Disney were considering building in this area
along with the development of a shopping area. I have no idea if these stories are true because I did not see anything in the local papers.

Thanks

Where did you hear about Disney building in East TN? (maybe you heard it from me?)I too heard this. My realtor was telling me this back in March but everyone i asked on the forum has said this has been a rumor for years in TN but my realtor seemed to think it was happening not too far in the future. Disney is known to be very hush hush about their plans which could probably explain the reason they just raised their rates AGAIN this weekend to $71 admission. Hmmm. wonder where that money is going?

As far as 321 construction, well we didn't go quite as far into Parottsville but we were only 6 miles away and there was nothing going on for construction.

Not sure what you mean about a bypass in Newport. I too haven't heard of that and really don't see a need for it. I do read the daily newport paper online to keep up with things. So far all i know that's going on for sure is the clean up of downtown by painting the buildings and tearing some older ones down and they've already towed out over 2400 old run down cars lying around the whole county.

Last edited by daniellefort; 08-07-2007 at 10:57 AM..

Old 08-07-2007, 11:20 AM

I heard it from the local fella that was cutting some grass in the development.
I also heard it from the owner of the cabin I was staying at in Meadow Creek.
I really wouldn't be surprised if it is all just hype to get people to rush into real estate purchases but since they weren't selling me anything it could just be a real strong rumor.I really dont want excessive development but I am
curious as to the exit location etc and the Bypass.

Can any locals chime in?

D,
The top part of "our" development (near entrance) is actually a Parrottsville address (my property included). The US-321 construction is happenning only 2 blocks from there but dont know where it is going to/from.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:54 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,902 times
This is what TDOT is saying about 321
US 321 East Parkway - State Route 73
TDOT (Tennessee Department of Transportation) has a very comprehensive website. You can get webcams of major roads in Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis (Chattanooga is coming along), get info on projects, interstate problems, etc.
Tennessee Department of Transportation

Old 08-07-2007, 11:55 AM

Hmm i'll have to keep watch out for that bypass in the paper. We're going back up in October for a few days, maybe i can find something out. My in laws now have a home right there in town off 321 before you cross the French Broad River. They're always up on these things happening too. That would be nice though to have a bypass to I40 from there because my husband plans to travel to Morristown for work and taking I40 drops him off right at the place he plans to work. We did a couple rides to morristown timing the drive and having to go to the other side of town to get to I40 took 15 minutes alone.

Our realtor didn't mention Disney to us until we were sitting down signing some offer agreements to buy the land. We just started a conversation about FL and she happened to say "Did you hear Disney is coming" I had no idea what she meant. I thought she meant "Disney is coming" meaning big businesses booming and crazy traffic. (DUH) It wasn't until the next day when we saw her that i asked her what she meant by "Disney is coming" when she told me Disney from Orlando is coming soon. She said she heard it was down around Cosby but she wasn't sure. We were already set on buying the land whether she told us Disney was coming or not. It took us over a year to find what we finally wanted and we weren't letting this one go.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:07 PM

Just found this online.

Cocke SR-35/US-321 Proposed Newport Bypass; SR-9 (US-25) to Saint Tide Hollow Road 5.30 Right-of-Way 2008

Here's the link and shows the map
Tennessee Department of Transportation

Looks like it will connect St. Tide to 25E making it a straight shot to Morristown. St. Tide was the road on the Left just before we turn off to Good Hope.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the links. I dont see how that stretch to ST Tide Hollow really alleviates traffic OR bypasses Newport. I thought it was going to connect up to I40 somehow.

Anyway, How about the building of theme parks/shopping
centers in these area's? I heard it mentioned in early June. Let me hear what
people are saying at the coffee shop, I'm sure it will be interesting speculation or not.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:04 PM

Well it does keep you from going through downtown and all them lights. As it is now, you have to drive through the busy part of town to get to 11E. I don't know how much time it will really save though compared to the expense of it. It would be nice if they would just extend it to I40 though.

I wouldn't mind seeing a little growth in town with a few more modern looking shopping centers. I think we're located far enough out of town to not really be bothered by it much. I'm glad to hear they are trying to clean up downtowns image too. That's a step in the right direction.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:05 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
As this thread is really about two subjects and I didn't want the OP question to get lost in the second subject, I broke up the thread. If you want to read more info about the Disney rumor, please see this thread:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...bout-them.html
If you ahve more info or questions about the Newport bypass, post here.
Thank you

Old 08-15-2007, 10:58 AM

11 posts, read 36,607 times
I will be living off of Exit 440 and we've been told by our neighbors that there is talk of putting an exit in between 440 and 435 where there will be restaurants and shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville