Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 04:14 PM

4 posts, read 3,728 times

Advertisements

So I've heard anecdotally that if one has the option of living in SC vs NC one should to take advantage of lower taxes. I'm looking to buy a house in the fall, and doing some quick and dirty math the property tax on a $160K house is only $25 more a month in Charlotte than say Ft Mill.

Dropping my income into some online state income tax calculators says the impact there would be a wash.

Haven't dove into vehicle taxes yet, but would two cars and a couple of sea doos be that much more expensive in the north vs south?

What am I missing?

FYI, as I work in aviation I'm looking to stay close to the airport, preferably on the west side of it due to flight paths (the west runway is 98% landing only). North of the airport, and between 485 and the Catawba intrigues me. Lake Wylie just over the bridge seems nice as well. Single and no kids so school isn't really a consideration. Looking to stay under 175K ish and 2 car garage, 3 bedroom are my absolute minimums.

Thoughts, ideas, and math are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 06:33 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
The tax difference on a $160k house would not be significant enough to sway me. I would live in the area and state you like best for your budget.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:33 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
I don't think you are missing anything and don't think the tax differences would be significant either.

Since you don't need schools, the area you mentioned could work. In places like Fort Mill, you pay a premium for the sought-after schools, which would more than wash out any potential tax savings (is there even anything available in Fort Mill for $175K?). But of course schools are a factor in resale so hopefully you plan to stay awhile.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:14 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallFlyer View Post

FYI, as I work in aviation I'm looking to stay close to the airport, preferably on the west side of it due to flight paths (the west runway is 98% landing only). North of the airport, and between 485 and the Catawba intrigues me. Lake Wylie just over the bridge seems nice as well. Single and no kids so school isn't really a consideration. Looking to stay under 175K ish and 2 car garage, 3 bedroom are my absolute minimums.

Thoughts, ideas, and math are appreciated.
Airport is currently in a north flow this AM. Check the radar maps. Aircraft departing 36C typically make a turn at 85 / 485 intersection to get over the Catawba River and follow that northbound. Closer to the river, the louder it will be.

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KCLT

Old 06-28-2017, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 3,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I don't think you are missing anything and don't think the tax differences would be significant either.

Since you don't need schools, the area you mentioned could work. In places like Fort Mill, you pay a premium for the sought-after schools, which would more than wash out any potential tax savings (is there even anything available in Fort Mill for $175K?). But of course schools are a factor in resale so hopefully you plan to stay awhile.
My thought is that any value imparted by school value would affect but the purchase and the sale, so in effect a wash. If the schools managed to improve while one owned the house that could work in ones favor. Not something I'm planning on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Airport is currently in a north flow this AM. Check the radar maps. Aircraft departing 36C typically make a turn at 85 / 485 intersection to get over the Catawba River and follow that northbound. Closer to the river, the louder it will be.

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KCLT
Departing 36C we're making a turn to 330 at about 400-500 AGL. We'd be a little east, then north of that intersection when we make that turn. All departures generally have 8,000 ft as an initial altitude, and I'd estimate we're above 3-4000 feet by the time we get to the river, depending on our load. I'll have to pay attention to that next time I go to work.

Interesting that LGI Homes is putting a large development called Paw Creek Village right underneath that area to the northeast of the 85/485 intersection. And generally speaking, where the River District is planned is probably in the best spot that close to the airport to mitigate sound issues.

It's probably worth driving around over there when the airport is in a north operation, but it's worth noting that pretty much that whole area is outside of the airport's noise maps. Of course, that benefits them, so we'll see how accurate that is.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:01 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallFlyer View Post
My thought is that any value imparted by school value would affect but the purchase and the sale, so in effect a wash. If the schools managed to improve while one owned the house that could work in ones favor. Not something I'm planning on
Maybe, however if values continue to increase, they will increase faster in areas with in-demand schools. And if they go down, areas with in-demand schools should hold their value better. And yes there is always a chance the assigned schools could improve.

However there's always going to be demand in the sub-$200k price point, so unless there is another complete crash, a house that's already $175K in a high market likely isn't going to take a huge hit. And if you do plan to stay awhile, some say not to really worry too much about resale anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte