Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:37 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
That last part should really ring home about these repeated incidents.

Somewhere in the country there is a compliant law-abiding citizen harmed by a cop...and no one is going to listen because the news media has time and again cried wolf about these incidents where that's not the case, but despite reality, the initial false report is that the cop was at fault.
I have no doubt that there are bad cops out there. I've seen it with my own eyes. I'm sorry, but the constant insistence that Mr Scott was shot by a white officer, had no gun, & was just sitting there reading his invisible bible was just lie upon lie.

If you want to hit the lottery, buy a ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 08:30 AM

391 posts, read 402,496 times
Quote:
CMPD internal investigation, video evidence, and most importantly the courts have all demonstrated that there was no wrong doing by the officer involved. Why do we need another panel of nobodies to decide this needs to be looked at again?

Do we want more riots?
I believe it is called "placation." Or, somebody ain't quittin until they get da money.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:08 AM

607 posts, read 555,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
I believe it is called "placation." Or, somebody ain't quittin until they get da money.
Can't blame the people looking for a hand-out.

But the city doesn't owe them ****. If anything the family should be on the hook for the overtime to control the riots.

Paying them is only going to make more people in the future do the same thing.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:22 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,052,691 times
Quote:
Can't blame the people looking for a hand-out.

But the city doesn't owe them ****. If anything the family should be on the hook for the overtime to control the riots.

Paying them is only going to make more people in the future do the same thing.
Agreed, but here's the way I've seen it work.

Person sues entity. Entity decides best and worst case scenario for cost of defending the suit.
additionally, entity get's legal advice on how much it will cost if they lose the suit. Entity adds up the cost of defense plus the cost of potential losses, and arrives at a figure that would be less than the potential loss for the whole ball of wax. Entity offers that amount as a settlement amount and case never goes to court. No quilt, no innocence, only financial liability decision.

Makes me want throw up. Knuckle under and play the odds, very seldom defend even if it's a frivolous suit.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:17 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,654,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
This is a modern form of Danegeld.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:53 PM

391 posts, read 402,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Agreed, but here's the way I've seen it work.

Person sues entity. Entity decides best and worst case scenario for cost of defending the suit.
additionally, entity get's legal advice on how much it will cost if they lose the suit. Entity adds up the cost of defense plus the cost of potential losses, and arrives at a figure that would be less than the potential loss for the whole ball of wax. Entity offers that amount as a settlement amount and case never goes to court. No quilt, no innocence, only financial liability decision.

Makes me want throw up. Knuckle under and play the odds, very seldom defend even if it's a frivolous suit.
It is like Washington government not giving up despite facts. They are persistent in wasting the taxpayers dollars on mindless investigations just to satisfy their own egos. With government offices, is is more important to keep bad people quiet than to show some integrity and allow due process to do its job. "Let the eat cake."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: