Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 02:48 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR1414 View Post
Thanks so much for that info; it really helps. We're definitely hoping that the potential shorter commute could add a lot when it comes to our quality of life and time together as a family. I really do think we could enjoy life more, as you said. I think Charlotte would be a great place to call home and put down roots with our young children (1 and 4). We're really looking forward to visiting later this summer.
Commuting times in Charlotte can be long, and due to the explosive growth, (and lethargy of the City and State to address that growth), commuting times can only grow longer.

I would think that banking centers in CLT can be found in Uptown CLT; South Park, and in Ballantyne.

Like other posters, I highly recommend neighborhoods within Charlotte (as opposed to the suburbs).

I am not looking to waste your time with the following suggestion:

When you come to visit CLT, take a ride with a starting point at the South Park Mall, and follow Colony Road south, which will turn into Rea Road. Continue on Rea Road until you hit 485. This route, in addition to Carmel Road, will give you a good taste of south Charlotte...one of the most aesthetically pleasing areas I have ever seen. Simply beautiful . Most enjoyed at dusk, or at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 03:39 PM

547 posts, read 773,603 times
Some posters make it seem like living in Charlotte gives them unlimited access to a teleportation machine; walk out of your uptown cube and you're home. Try driving to those locations mentioned above during rush hour and I guarantee I'll have driven to my home in SC, changed into a pair of shorts and already throwing a ball to a random dog by the time you get there.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:51 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Some posters make it seem like living in Charlotte gives them unlimited access to a teleportation machine; walk out of your uptown cube and you're home. Try driving to those locations mentioned above during rush hour and I guarantee I'll have driven to my home in SC, changed into a pair of shorts and already throwing a ball to a random dog by the time you get there.
I am confused by your post. Are you saying you can get from uptown to your home in Tega Cay faster than I can get from uptown to my home near Southpark?

That is not possible. At ANY time of the day or night.

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 07-06-2017 at 07:20 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 06:30 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
I will race you any day from uptown to Cotswold while you sit on 77 ProudFather.

Love Tega Cay btw and don't see anything wrong with living there (I lived off Youngblood road on lake Wylie from 98-06) but I don't miss the drive and am sure it is only getting worse before it gets better.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:48 PM

547 posts, read 773,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
I will race you any day from uptown to Cotswold while you sit on 77 ProudFather.

Love Tega Cay btw and don't see anything wrong with living there (I lived off Youngblood road on lake Wylie from 98-06) but I don't miss the drive and am sure it is only getting worse before it gets better.
Youngblood and the Palisades is nice but you didn't have a quick route. South Tyron is a straight shot but a parking lot and to get to Gold Hill or 485 you had to get on 160, another mess in Charlotte. In the morning, I'm in the parking garage uptown in 25 minutes. I'm guessing, even though Southpark is closer, with no traffic it's a 20 minute ride. I've driven to south Charlotte in the afternoon rush to get to an event and it's a mess. Definitely beating them in the evening rush.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:06 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Youngblood and the Palisades is nice but you didn't have a quick route. South Tyron is a straight shot but a parking lot and to get to Gold Hill or 485 you had to get on 160, another mess in Charlotte. In the morning, I'm in the parking garage uptown in 25 minutes. I'm guessing, even though Southpark is closer, with no traffic it's a 20 minute ride. I've driven to south Charlotte in the afternoon rush to get to an event and it's a mess. Definitely beating them in the evening rush.
Yeah I didn't live on the lake for the convenience of a commute. There is absolutely no chance at any time of day or night that you could beat me from Trade and Tryon home to Tega Cay vs. Cotswold.

I didn't live in Palisades but it was built nearby. I could get to 49 without messing with 160. When I lived there I still took 77 from Gold Hill like you mention but it wasn't as bad as it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte