Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 08:12 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
No.
Thanks. I didn’t think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 01:19 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Steele Creek was not our first choice. We wanted Davidson/Cornelius but it fell through last min. We had to choose an area close to my husbands job. We were essentially told either Steele Creek area or Lake Norman areas are the only two really nice places to live. Honestly outside of Davidson I haven't found an actual "town town" feel. Most of the places are just areas dubbed certain names within the limits of the city. We were told to look at Gastonia and driving through yesterday all we could think was it looked like a crumbling old railroad town with a drug problem. Many of the buildings were boarded up or crumbling. Maybe it was just the part we drove through but we weren't impressed.
Didn't you start several threads before moving and were saying you visited and based on that wanted to move to Huntersville? That's not a "town town" either. I don't recall you ever saying you wanted a "town town." There are various other threads though that talk about the Charlotte area's lack of "town towns" - Davidson, Matthews and Belmont are among the only ones, but lots of the other areas are still nice without being a "town town."

You lost me at the homeless people bit. Sure, I see the occasional one in suburban areas, but overall I'd say there are far less in Charlotte than many other cities IMO.

And did you just say Ballantyne was old?? The entire area is only like 20 years old.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:56 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Didn't you start several threads before moving and were saying you visited and based on that wanted to move to Huntersville? That's not a "town town" either. I don't recall you ever saying you wanted a "town town." There are various other threads though that talk about the Charlotte area's lack of "town towns" - Davidson, Matthews and Belmont are among the only ones, but lots of the other areas are still nice without being a "town town."

You lost me at the homeless people bit. Sure, I see the occasional one in suburban areas, but overall I'd say there are far less in Charlotte than many other cities IMO.

And did you just say Ballantyne was old?? The entire area is only like 20 years old.
Yes, she had multiple threads about how desperate she was to get to Charlotte. Belmont was thrown out as a possibility along the way & certainly when the husband's job location was known. West of Charlotte there are plenty of town towns but they all have warts. Belmont has the least warts at this time.

Didn't she end up in her current location because her sister lives there?

Old 09-25-2017, 10:53 AM

18 posts, read 16,736 times
Default Demographics

If diversity is important to you, check the Charlotte of Chambers website and the statistic pages. You can learn more about the demographics and get an idea of what fits you and your family the best.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:02 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

You say I was "told to look" as all of these places in previous threads as if I had endless amounts of time to drive the 13 hours up and look at these towns over a 2 week period. The best "looking" I could get was a google image which lets face it isn't the best reference. I had very little time from the time he got the final job offer till we had to move. We had to insist to them to even give us a 3 week notice as we HAD to give our jobs 2. I had no time to check out all these communities. I had to take what I could get in the short amount of time we were given based off of many peoples opinions. Until we had the final job offer the job was not his for the taking and I could not secure housing.

Yes and as I said we could not move to Huntersville because of where my husband works which is south of the airport. The drive was too long. As I was busy moving across the country I didn't spend countless hours on here researching "town towns". I was busying taking care of all the things that come with moving.

I had stated on several occasions we liked the feel of Davidson and wanted something similar, but again the drive was not doable for us. We visited Matthews and weren't impressed and again the drive was not doable. My husband is restricted in how far he can live from his current job. We ended up in Steele Creek due to finding a town home in our price range. My sister happened to live around here (closer to Pineville) so with only 3 weeks until the move (and endless searching for housing we had to do sight unseen due to not be able to get time off work) we ended up here in Steele Creek. We hadn't made it to this area in our 3 prior visits and I can say if I had known about the constant airplane noise for one (literally every 2 mins right over the roof until they decide to change the flight path maybe 2 times a week.) I don't know if I would have chosen this off the bat.

It doesn't matter now as we are here until July and then my husband may be getting transferred to PA. There is a significant amount of homeless/panhandling going on around here that I see. I avoid several lights at shopping centers and use alternatives after having our windows knocked on at least 3 times. Twice asking for $ and another from a lady claiming her car broke down and she needed cash. We offered her our cell phone to make a phone call for a tow and she responded with "just give me the cash"... to which we rolled up our window.

And I never said Ballentyne was old.. I've never even been there. I said where we went in Gastonia was old and crumbling.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 09-25-2017 at 11:11 AM..

Old 09-25-2017, 11:23 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,692,857 times
That's unfortunate that you ended up in a neighborhood you didn't like. Steele Creek is indeed right under the airport flight path - a myriad of factors that impact property values there. It is a more working class and blue collar area. Zip 28273 has a median household of $56,372. Less than 5% of households make more than $150k. There are many neighborhoods and towns were panhandling isn't an issue in the Charlotte area. I've lived here four years in the South Park/South Charlotte area - been approached once and it was Uptown near the Greyhound Station. You rarely see homeless people in the area as well, but I'd imagine there are more in the Steele Creek area so I guess it is a matter of perspective. Many of us moved to CLT from larger cities so homelessness in CLT doesn't seem as bad as where we came from.

You would probably prefer an area like Ballantyne (which you should check out, it is just 15 minutes down 485 from Steele Creek). It is going to be more expensive than Steele Creek though as the area is more affluent and schools are higher ranking. 28277 (Ballantyne area) has 28% of households making more than $150k. Median income is $100k. Good luck in your move to PA if that is where you end up!

Last edited by CLT4; 09-25-2017 at 11:35 AM..

Old 09-25-2017, 12:56 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
You say I was "told to look" as all of these places in previous threads as if I had endless amounts of time to drive the 13 hours up and look at these towns over a 2 week period. The best "looking" I could get was a google image which lets face it isn't the best reference. I had very little time from the time he got the final job offer till we had to move. We had to insist to them to even give us a 3 week notice as we HAD to give our jobs 2. I had no time to check out all these communities. I had to take what I could get in the short amount of time we were given based off of many peoples opinions. Until we had the final job offer the job was not his for the taking and I could not secure housing.

Yes and as I said we could not move to Huntersville because of where my husband works which is south of the airport. The drive was too long. As I was busy moving across the country I didn't spend countless hours on here researching "town towns". I was busying taking care of all the things that come with moving.

I had stated on several occasions we liked the feel of Davidson and wanted something similar, but again the drive was not doable for us. We visited Matthews and weren't impressed and again the drive was not doable. My husband is restricted in how far he can live from his current job. We ended up in Steele Creek due to finding a town home in our price range. My sister happened to live around here (closer to Pineville) so with only 3 weeks until the move (and endless searching for housing we had to do sight unseen due to not be able to get time off work) we ended up here in Steele Creek. We hadn't made it to this area in our 3 prior visits and I can say if I had known about the constant airplane noise for one (literally every 2 mins right over the roof until they decide to change the flight path maybe 2 times a week.) I don't know if I would have chosen this off the bat.

And I never said Ballentyne was old.. I've never even been there. I said where we went in Gastonia was old and crumbling.
Your posts on the Charlotte forum go back as far as 2014. Surely in that time you had time to visit the area at least a couple times (particularly with a sister in the area)? And my point about Huntersville was I thought you said that you liked Huntersville after visiting...however it's not really a "town town," and personally I don't think Huntersville is that much different than the Steele Creek area.

I may have missed it but I don't see where you said you wanted something similar to Davidson. I see you said "you heard Davidson is nice," but it was out of your price range.

You said "I would consider Ballentyne to be closer to where I came from (for comparison) but still a little older feeling," maybe I misunderstood but I thought you were saying you thought Ballantyne was old. Ballantyne is pretty close to Steele Creek, you should check it out. But how would you consider it to be closer to where you came from if you've never been there??

OP, sorry your thread got hijacked but I think CLT4 answered your question pretty well, but in addition to that the University area is the most diverse area in Charlotte IMO.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:53 PM

164 posts, read 523,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laknee1 View Post
I am contemplating moving to Charlotte. I am from south Florida and I am afraid of losing diversity in NC. I hate to say it, but I have a very stereotypical view of NC. I want seasons and an outdoor life for my children. Good schools are a must. Any suggestions on which suburbs are best for culture and diversity for my children? Thanks!
I'm from Miami, also lived in Naples FL. Charlotte is a beautiful city with diversity. It's not like South Florida where the diversity comes from the caribbean and Latin America but you do have diversity. In fact I felt like I was around a lot of different cultures that you don't see in S Florida. I never had a problem with religion in Charlotte and never saw a homeless person like I did in Miami. You actually can leave your windows open and your garage without any problems. I lived in the South Park area and also lived in Ballantyne. As far as schools the Ballantyne area is great. Many of our friends live in Fort Mills because the schools are great. As much as I missed things from FL when I lived in Charlotte, the quality of life is a lot better. The city is clean and welcoming. Plan a visit and check out several areas. My husband and I are both Spanish Cuban Americans and we loved it. Good luck

Old 10-01-2017, 06:23 AM

22 posts, read 37,669 times
Lived in South FL from 94-01 and NYC from 01-06. Charlotte is nowhere close to diversity as South FL. In south Fl most are from the Caribbean, Latin America and Europe. I rarely met someone who was originally from there and if they were their parents were immigrants. South FL diversity is extensive but on that note Charlotte is also growing in its diversity but as in most places it is segregated in nature.
Charlotte is a much better place IMO than South Fl in terms of family activities, starting a career and general quality of life. The one thing South Florida has over Charlotte is the school system for sure, so my advice would be to research if you have kids

Old 10-02-2017, 03:36 PM

391 posts, read 402,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laknee1 View Post
I am contemplating moving to Charlotte. I am from south Florida and I am afraid of losing diversity in NC. I hate to say it, but I have a very stereotypical view of NC. I want seasons and an outdoor life for my children. Good schools are a must. Any suggestions on which suburbs are best for culture and diversity for my children? Thanks!
Please clarify. There are lots of ethnicities in south Florida, but most live in their ethnic neighborhoods. Most south Florida cities consist of old white northerners except for Miami and surrounding areas that have a heavy Cuban or black population. Charlotte is probably more diverse than most south Florida cities. I have friends in Pompano Beach, Miami, and other nearby places. They are pretty white from what I have seen. Otherwise, people live in their own diverse communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte