Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 09:53 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times

Advertisements

I have taken an immediate liking to west Charlotte, the few times I have gotten "lost" on back roads.

Can anyone tell me about Oakdale North, Oakdale South, and Paw Creek (specifically around Tom Sadler)? Are these areas inside the City limits? Young, middle aged, or elderly population? Property and violent crime levels? Is the area declining, stable, or on the upswing?

I've looked online, and I have seen some stats, but input from y'all would be most helpful (and appreciated). All three areas look lovely...winding roads, and it slants towards rural.

I currently live in Gaston Co, although I am toying around with the idea of moving back into the City come the future, as it makes sense to live closer to work. I am not interested in buying anything right now, but I thought I'd familiarize myself with the area. Always good to keep my options open .

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 09:56 AM

No takers ?

Old 01-18-2018, 01:40 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,941 times
There are so many better places you could find to live between Gtown & Charlotte...and many are less expensive, too!

Old 01-19-2018, 08:51 AM

39 posts, read 53,284 times
This is all anecdotal, grew up in Oakdale and family still lives there. The neighborhoods are stable leaning towards declining. The development that happened in the last ten years has been low-income tract housing, which brings overall property values down and has scared folks out. There are lots of traditional brick ranches from the late 60's and 70's, and then some less well-constructed from the "boom" in the 80's (and beyond) when my family moved there. I'd hazard that the population is either a) OGs who have lived there for 35+ years b) lower-income middle-aged folks lured by cheap housing. The influx from 485 and related development at 16 has not materialized, and the only real draw there is the Wal-Mart. The schools are not great to bad. There has been no millennial influx like we're seeing in Belmont, Villa Heights, etc. The area is not dense enough to draw younger buyers looking for access to amenities and not rural enough to draw folks away from Mt Holly.

The area west of 16 I would call Coulwood, and you've got less new builds and more older homes. Coulwood has a ton of value right now I think. Schools are still not good, but that's why we have magnets.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
There are so many better places you could find to live between Gtown & Charlotte...and many are less expensive, too!
You're right. Even 'rural' leaning parts of Charlotte are more expensive than their Gaston counterparts. At times I find the price differential to be odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeDoofus View Post
This is all anecdotal, grew up in Oakdale and family still lives there. The neighborhoods are stable leaning towards declining. The development that happened in the last ten years has been low-income tract housing, which brings overall property values down and has scared folks out. There are lots of traditional brick ranches from the late 60's and 70's, and then some less well-constructed from the "boom" in the 80's (and beyond) when my family moved there. I'd hazard that the population is either a) OGs who have lived there for 35+ years b) lower-income middle-aged folks lured by cheap housing. The influx from 485 and related development at 16 has not materialized, and the only real draw there is the Wal-Mart. The schools are not great to bad. There has been no millennial influx like we're seeing in Belmont, Villa Heights, etc. The area is not dense enough to draw younger buyers looking for access to amenities and not rural enough to draw folks away from Mt Holly.

The area west of 16 I would call Coulwood, and you've got less new builds and more older homes. Coulwood has a ton of value right now I think. Schools are still not good, but that's why we have magnets.
Thank you for your post, which I found to be very helpful. Would you say that Oakdale/Coulwood have property crime levels similar to Mt Holly/Belmont, and "OGs who have lived there 35+ years"...I guess OG stands for old goats ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte