Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 05:53 PM

15 posts, read 96,509 times

Advertisements

I have a house in mind, but friends and realtors have warned that it will fail mortage appraisal. Banks that I have called have given clear indications that they will not approve homes in below-average condition.

The seller (a bank) is not willing for me to to get the house repaired, before the mortgage appraiser comes in.

This is not an investment property and I would live in here. Can you folks please share your experiences in financing less than perfect homes?

Last edited by coollicks; 03-22-2008 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: spelling mistakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 07:12 PM

197 posts, read 668,691 times
Ask an experience mortgage broker about "rehab loans" it may work for you.
Good luck!

Old 03-22-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottere View Post
Ask an experience mortgage broker about "rehab loans" it may work for you.
Good luck!
Thank you CharlotteRE. I will explore that option on Monday. How about express path financing? Do they have less stringent guidelines as well.

another input - my credit is rated excellent with more than 100% savings than the cost of the house and NO current debt. Do you think that may play a part into getting some consession on the required property appraisal?

As usual, your posts are really helpful

Last edited by coollicks; 03-22-2008 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: added more details..

Old 03-23-2008, 01:47 PM

197 posts, read 668,691 times
I am not familiar with the express path financing, but in any case make sure you understand the term and conditions of the loan.
On the other hand it seems that you have your heart set on that property, and I am sure you have very good reasons to feel that way. But, with your credit history and financial strength I'd suggest you to explore other options, look other properties that are available on the market and clear for financing. Remember is a buyer's market and you may be able to reach a more competitive property.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:38 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,842 times
Hard money loans or private money. They can give you 6 months to 3 years but will only loan up to 70% once the house is back to market value then re-fi with a traditional loan. If I understand you correctly why not pay cash for the house fix it up then take a equity line out on it?

Old 03-23-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
Hard money loans or private money. They can give you 6 months to 3 years but will only loan up to 70% once the house is back to market value then re-fi with a traditional loan. If I understand you correctly why not pay cash for the house fix it up then take a equity line out on it?
That's something I want to explore but not sure what the tax implications are? Also - in your experience, does that come out to be costlier than a traditional loan (in terms of closing costs, interest rate, tax benefits etc)? My tax planner company is so busy right now, that they did not feel the need to respond back to my 2 VMs that I have left at their office to discusss this subject!!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:42 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,842 times
Hard money guys normaly charge 4% closing and around 14% only intrest loans, they could also require and appraisal. So on a $100K home there fee is $4000 then you have lawyers and title work etc etc....

It is not for a long term solution by any means but works well for homes where banks will not loan money. Many investors use this route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte