Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 13,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
How old is the house? Newer homes will "settle". And it can sometimes take 6-8 years for a house to "settle". Because of this, you might see hair line fractures in the sheet rock but it usually does not mean anything major.

The inspection guys hired by the buyer are looking for BIG cracks, like inches wide. Which is prob why they did not report it.

If it's just sheet rock cracks from the house settling I would not worry about it. You can patch those up very cheap and easy. Least they are in the "wall" and not the ceiling. The ceiling is a lot harder to paint...lol
This home is 10 years old

Old 07-05-2007, 03:26 PM

255 posts, read 885,661 times
How large are the cracks?

If you can take a picture and post it somewhere that would be great. Someone here might be able to tell you exactly what it is. I can take a stab but I am not a professional.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 13,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
How large are the cracks?

If you can take a picture and post it somewhere that would be great. Someone here might be able to tell you exactly what it is. I can take a stab but I am not a professional.
Thanks BigCountry for quick response. I will post try to post couple pictures tomorrow. Have a wonderful evening.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:20 PM

85 posts, read 281,690 times
Bricks should be placed upon the footings and built-up from there...I would suggest you take a #5 steel rod and see if there is actually any footing beneath the suspect area...or ask the inspector if he did this...you can also dig a ditch, with a shovel, next to the suspect area and visually inspect for the foundation itself...I would also call the building dept and request an inspector to come out and view the problem...they will do this as a courtesy...typically this problem results from a foundation contractor making a mistake and needing to add on to the footing...brick is just as sound as block to build on, it is the foundation UNDERNEATH the walls that is critical...good luck

Old 06-23-2008, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,821 times
Default House in Indian Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
We are currently building a house in Indian Trail and had our home inspector come out and do the framing (pre-drywall) inspection. There are serious issues with the house that will require the assessment of a structural engineer. At this point we are undecided whether to walk away or try and make it work....but having this opinion might be extremely helpful in making that decision.

If anyone knows someone who is a structural engineer in the Charlotte/Indian Trail area, please PM me with their information. Thank you!!!!!
It sounds as if some changes were made during the building process. Such changes aren't necessarily a problem, but all changes from the original plan should be designed by an engineer, and the work should be supervised to ensure conformance to the revised plan.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-23-2008 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: no solicitation

Old 11-18-2008, 07:43 PM

53 posts, read 154,054 times
Default Structural engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte ePro View Post
I recommend Whitley Engineering as well.
One more recommendation for Whitley Engineering. They did a great job on our structural inspection.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:07 PM

624 posts, read 2,108,936 times
I'm sorry I'm still giggling over the URGENT! part of the OP.

Though 2 yrs after the fact, I'm curious how everything turned out? Any thoughts after the fact or things you would recommend to someone building a house to avoid any problems that you experienced?

Old 11-19-2008, 07:32 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
I'm sorry I'm still giggling over the URGENT! part of the OP.

Though 2 yrs after the fact, I'm curious how everything turned out? Any thoughts after the fact or things you would recommend to someone building a house to avoid any problems that you experienced?
Hope the no response from OP doesn't mean "the roof fell-in on them!"

Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 AM

743 posts, read 2,243,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Hope the no response from OP doesn't mean "the roof fell-in on them!"

No the roof didn't fall in, she is actually my next door neighbor. She just doesn't post much anymore. She did have a problem with the second and third floors. They had to move out for a few days while the builder repaired the entire floor on both floors. This was only a few months after they moved in.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:43 AM

79 posts, read 217,366 times
Another vote for Joel Whitley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: