Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 11:26 PM

12 posts, read 7,651 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm sure you've seen a thread like this a million times, but I sure would appreciate any answers. I'll try to give as much detail as possible in hopes that it will make your advice easier to give. We are looking for a good area to buy a home. Our main concerns:
  • Good high school
  • Commute under one hour
  • Priced under 275k

About us: We've lived all over the country (and other countries!) all our lives, so moving is no sweat for us and we enjoy exploring each new home. Currently, my husband works in Chicago, but we live just over the border in Wisconsin. We are mid-30s w/ 2 kids (elementary and middle). Originally we were going to move into Illinois this year for a shorter commute, but my husband was offered a new position w/in his company that will be located in the Charlotte branch. I am very excited for this move, because I'm originally from Greenville, SC and I still have family there, in TN, and VA. It will be awesome to be that much closer to them once more. My husband is from Indianapolis, but he wants the new job and is open to moving down south. He's alright for a Yank, eh?

Anywho, I've done some preliminary searches, but there's only so much I can gleam from online statistics, google maps, and opinions from friends/family who only live "close by." We plan to visit at least twice this summer. His office location will be at the RailYard (which is still being built?) and ideally he'd like to be under an hour in commute (work is from 8-4, M-F). Honestly, anything is going to be great when compared to the asinine traffic that is Chicago, right? Still, the smaller the travel time, the more I can have him at home with a Honey-Do list. We got a sense of the traffic pattern this week by checking google traffic in Charlotte during his estimated travel times, but again, it's just a bird's eye view from up here. Local input is the best input for this.

A key factor for me is the high school. Our children are young, so I can handle supplementing their studies if the local elementary/middle school is a bit loose in the learning. However, high school is a different ball game. My kids do play sports, musical instruments, and they're active in our community. I'm not expecting a 10 on GreatSchools, just a good high school known for giving a solid education.

I like to kick my kids outside to ride their bikes, so I'm looking for neighborhoods and areas that you feel are very safe. We don't mind an old build, a new build, needs updating, etc. Just a safe neighborhood for them to play. Our max budget all-in (taxes and everything) is 275k before 20% down. Well, I'm hoping we can swing that. I may have to make my husband work a street corner to go higher than that. LOL just kidding!

I'm not too concerned with entertainment, shopping, etc. We always find something and from what I hear of Charlotte, that will be pretty easy to do. However, if you know of a good archery range or club, I'd really appreciate some information. My daughter and I have not been able to find one close to us and it's been on our little bucket list of things to do together. We'd also be interested in finding a good summer camp. It would be nice if it was similar in style as the one she goes to now (Camp Tecumseh in Indiana), but finding a closer one in Charlotte would mean I'd see my in-laws even less. Win-win, imo.

So far I've heard/read good things winding up 77 through Cornelius/Davidson and west on 85 through Belmont. I've heard Matthews and the southern area nearby is good too, but might be out of our price range. Is this correct? Should we stay in the loop? What areas would you recommend? If we bought a house in SC, is there a certain way we have to file our taxes? For example, we pay a WI tax for living here and working in IL. When I lived in FL and worked in AL, I filed w/ AL but didn't have to file in FL.

If you've read this far, thank you. I'm sorry! I know it's a lot of questions. I sincerely appreciate any suggestions, advice, tips, and direction you could give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 06:48 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
Welcome to the South from a fellow Yank (I happen to also be from IN....I grew up in South Bend). I wasn't familiar with the Railyard so I googled and it looks like it will be in South End perhaps. If that's the case, I wouldn't look in Huntersville, Cornelius or Mooresville. The commute would be a killer day in and day out on 77.

I would look at points south of Uptown. Maybe Belmont?

Also yes there are a ton of summer camps your daughter could go to in the area. My friends daughter goes to one in the Raleigh area.

There is an archery range: https://www.barefootarchery.com/range/

Old 06-07-2018, 07:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Barefoot Archery and Charlotte Rifle and Pistol Club are the only two archery ranges/clubs I know of in the area. I'm sure there are more but that's all I know of.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:36 AM

207 posts, read 354,836 times
Perhaps factor into the commute formula that the new light rail extension has opened to the University Charlotte area. There are large parking decks there to use for commuters using the rail line. Carson Street station is a short walk to the new RailYard project. Bland is another stop option. This opens homes in the northeast area with a 15 minute drive and 25 or so minute ride to Carson/Bland. Agree with poster above that commuting to downtown Charlotte, which is Railyard location, from towns on 77 north (or Matthews) would surely be longer time than my suggestion. Charlotte is a booming city and housing has not kept pace so your budget will require some time and compromise. If your house in WI sells quickly could you rent for a while to test location and commute?

Old 06-07-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Welcome to the South from a fellow Yank (I happen to also be from IN....I grew up in South Bend). I wasn't familiar with the Railyard so I googled and it looks like it will be in South End perhaps. If that's the case, I wouldn't look in Huntersville, Cornelius or Mooresville. The commute would be a killer day in and day out on 77.

I would look at points south of Uptown. Maybe Belmont?

Also yes there are a ton of summer camps your daughter could go to in the area. My friends daughter goes to one in the Raleigh area.

There is an archery range: https://www.barefootarchery.com/range/
Thank you! I will definitely checkout Barefoot and Belmont for sure.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc48 View Post
Perhaps factor into the commute formula that the new light rail extension has opened to the University Charlotte area. There are large parking decks there to use for commuters using the rail line. Carson Street station is a short walk to the new RailYard project. Bland is another stop option. This opens homes in the northeast area with a 15 minute drive and 25 or so minute ride to Carson/Bland. Agree with poster above that commuting to downtown Charlotte, which is Railyard location, from towns on 77 north (or Matthews) would surely be longer time than my suggestion. Charlotte is a booming city and housing has not kept pace so your budget will require some time and compromise. If your house in WI sells quickly could you rent for a while to test location and commute?
I did not know about the light rail, my husband will be happy to hear that. He's not opposed at all to commuting by train.

We are also open to renting before we buy. The housing market has picked up in our area, so we feel that that no time would be better than now to take the job and move. So any areas you can suggest would be great!

Old 06-07-2018, 11:01 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayanana View Post
I did not know about the light rail, my husband will be happy to hear that. He's not opposed at all to commuting by train.

We are also open to renting before we buy. The housing market has picked up in our area, so we feel that that no time would be better than now to take the job and move. So any areas you can suggest would be great!

Maybe try Harrisburg. That would be a short ride to the light rail station in University. Great schools. They are or will be building a new ES for that area. Hickory Ridge is the HS.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:23 AM

751 posts, read 935,145 times
You'll get more for your money across the border in Fort Mill, which has a great school district, and outside of an invisible border line, there's no difference between the NC & SC side when it comes to "living in Charlotte". It'd also be a straight shot up I-77 to South End for a commute.

Pineville is also a good option with a good high school in South Meck...but just beware that the middle school is low rated (Quail Hollow MS), from what I heard due to poor leadership in the school.

Ballantyne would get you into Ardrey Kell HS, but might be above your budget.

Matthews has two good HS (Providence & Butler)...but may or may not be pushing your commute out too far (45+ minutes to South End) to get to the areas within your budget.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:02 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,701,053 times
Tega Cay has some homes in your budget and might be a good option as well.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:49 PM

869 posts, read 1,787,812 times
We have a bit in common, we're originally from the Waukegan/Gurnee area, and my daughter spent a few summers at Camp Tecumseh,(but for the Equestrian program). After 7 years in Middle Tn, we moved here in 2016. Kids stayed in Tn in college, but we are now renting in the Blakeney/Ballantyne area and looking to buy next spring.

Your budget is low, best bet may be Indian Land. Still some decent sized houses in your price range, commute is doable. Traffic isn't Chicago area bad here, but there are pockets that back up consistently every day.Probably more options here to avoid accidents that the routes he is use to taking up there.
Haven't been here long enough to help you with the camps, etc, but if you have other questions, I'm happy to help.

1 housing example:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...95_rect/10_zm/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte