Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 11:33 AM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
NDL, are you old enough to remember the film on the evening news of the people in Boston when the feds ordered bussing? No one should be surprised about this woman or her origin.
Great point.

That's why I take umbrage at the scoffers who paint an inaccurate image of the South.

In truth, there is likely a greater element of racism in the North than in the South.

I offer as proof that the South is largely desegregated, while Whites continue to self segregate in the North.

What I cannot understand is that when the whole HB2 debacle took place, everyone was worried about "the image that Charlotte projected."

Why is no one clamouring over the unfair image being painted about Charlotte over this event?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 11:56 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Great point.

That's why I take umbrage at the scoffers who paint an inaccurate image of the South.

In truth, there is likely a greater element of racism in the North than in the South.

I offer as proof that the South is largely desegregated, while Whites continue to self segregate in the North.

What I cannot understand is that when the whole HB2 debacle took place, everyone was worried about "the image that Charlotte projected."

Why is no one clamouring over the unfair image being painted about Charlotte over this event?

And yet Charlotte has the most segregated school system in the state of NC.. so its image is one it makes

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/ed.../275-529759454

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/cm...says/718366251

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/op...208132019.html

"Despite knowing the history, many of us tiptoe around the segregation tumor which is repeatedly diagnosed as a key determinant in our county’s ranking 99th out of 100 for economic mobility , with only Baltimore County being worse."

[LEFT]
Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/op...#storylink=cpy
[/LEFT]

Old 11-03-2018, 12:13 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
And yet Charlotte has the most segregated school system in the state of NC.. so its image is one it makes
That's a different argument than the one that I am making.

There still exists an element of haughtiness in the way the South is viewed; I don't like it, and it isn't justified.

The fact remains that while the South is largely desegregated, the Whites in the North self segregate.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:26 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:
That's a different argument than the one that I am making.

There still exists an element of haughtiness in the way the South is viewed; I don't like it, and it isn't justified.

The fact remains that while the South is largely desegregated, the Whites in the North self segregate.

How so? Are you speaking of states such as NH, VT, ME which have some of the highest rates of white people?

I'll think you'll find groups of people tend to segregate either intentionally or unintentionally anyways. There are entire neighborhoods of NYC that are made up of nearly all Jews and they like it that way, they make sure it stays that way. Same with PA. But there are sections of NY that are primarily all blacks and whites choose not to inhabit those area. My mother and father grew up in the Bronx in the 60's and 70's and were some of the only white kids in their schools. Then you have Northern Maine where my husband grew up where people can go their entire elementary school career and never see a black person. It wasn't intentional segregation.. they simply just didn't move there. Norther Midwest is primarily white. Black simply aren't moving there. I don't think the whites are intentionally segregating themselves out there . I mean there are always exceptions.

Look at say Ballantyne, a little closer to home. Primarily a very well to do upper class neighborhood. Also nearly 70% white with the second being Asian.. Why? Whites have more opportunities.. especially those who came from upper class families. Most of the people living there minimally have a B.A. probably most have a PHD or Masters. They're working in high paying roles such as Doctor, Investment Banker and Lawyer. Roles that we see can be lacking much diversity in ways of ethnicity. So we not only have a generational segregation issue, we have an economic, and geographical reason also.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:46 PM
NDL

Quote:
How so? Are you speaking of states such as NH, VT, ME which have some of the highest rates of white people?.
No. Up until six years ago, I lived in and around NYC. Be it areas within NYC, on Long Island, in Westchester Co., etc., Whites tend to self segregate.

Within urban environments, self segregation occurs as a result of ethnic groups wanting to stay within the boundaries of groups that they perceive to be like themselves. I don't see this as a Black/White issue; Greeks stay with Greeks; Jews with Jews; Russians with Russians, and so on.

Within suburban environments, there's less ethnic segregation amongst European Americans. Segregation in many of these areas occurs more on the basis of economic segregation, than anything else. But the majority of these people are educated (the nouveau riche), and many posses a haughty, elitist, attitude towards anyone unlike themselves. And while these people see themselves as being of a higher moral fiber than others, the reality is that they're intimidated of people that fall outside of their comfort zone. This may or may not include ethnic Italians, and it most certainly includes the majority of Blacks. This same group often sees themselves morally superior to the South.

Quote:
Then you have Northern Maine where my husband grew up where people can go their entire elementary school career and never see a black person. It wasn't intentional segregation.. they simply just didn't move there. Norther Midwest is primarily white. Black simply aren't moving there. I don't think the whites are intentionally segregating themselves out there . I mean there are always exceptions.
Yes, there are areas where this is true.

Quote:
Look at say Ballantyne, a little closer to home. Primarily a very well to do upper class neighborhood. Also nearly 70% white with the second being Asian.. Why? Whites have more opportunities.. especially those who came from upper class families. Most of the people living there minimally have a B.A. probably most have a PHD or Masters. They're working in high paying roles such as Doctor, Investment Banker and Lawyer. Roles that we see can be lacking much diversity in ways of ethnicity. So we not only have a generational segregation issue, we have an economic, and geographical reason also.
Well stated, and I agree.

But...there's more of a homogenius attitude here, than what we have back home. Here's there's a sense of the community being a "melting pot," as most current day Charlotteans don't see themselves as such. In other words, most current day Charlotteans view Charlotte as a City whose residents represent a cross section of the Nation, if not the World.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:00 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/ed.../275-529759454

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/cm...says/718366251

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/op...208132019.html

"Despite knowing the history, many of us tiptoe around the segregation tumor which is repeatedly diagnosed as a key determinant in our county’s ranking 99th out of 100 for economic mobility , with only Baltimore County being worse."

[LEFT]
Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/op...#storylink=cpy
[/LEFT]
Boston has the same problem -
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...JBP/story.html

Old 11-03-2018, 03:03 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Great point.

Why is no one clamouring over the unfair image being painted about Charlotte over this event
Honestly in other coverage of this event I don’t think people are really “painting an image” of Charlotte. Just pointing out one example of the kind of people that are out there, regardless of where they live/come from.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:57 AM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Honestly in other coverage of this event I don’t think people are really “painting an image” of Charlotte. Just pointing out one example of the kind of people that are out there, regardless of where they live/come from.
I suppose you're right; if people want to typecast Charlotte, they will use any excuse to do it.

Perhaps I am a little sensitive to this issue, because I hate to see disharmony between people of different backgrounds. And I can't help but feel that an unintended consequence of running certain news stories, is that the feeling of angst between races is stoked.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:03 AM
NDL

In my opinion, what this woman did and said was completely idiotic - but *how* is she being charged with "two counts of simple assault"

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/ch...iral/861215158

Old 11-04-2018, 01:03 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Quote:

In my opinion, what this woman did and said was completely idiotic - but *how* is she being charged with "two counts of simple assault"

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/ch...iral/861215158
The sisters said she physically assaulted them although I don't believe that was in the original reporting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte