Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 06:13 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
There is around ten or so that I have found and most of them suck really bad.. Also, not all of the mare in the city, but some in the suburbs. I was going to this one dive bar for late night food near my house, but the place had too many threatening drunk types and I decided it wasn't worth getting a knife in my throat so I could get hot wings after 9PM. Yeah, there are about two that are very popular though and a few of your typical boring chains (most in the suburbs). In Olympia and Tacoma, Washington I had a dozen good places to chose from and that is not even including the chains.

But, if you can find me some good late night places here in Denver, that would be appreciated. Not exactly on topic here though, but if you can find stuff , please PM me with them.

I remember one night in Denver it was like 10PM on Wednesday and I just missed the only pizza place I like here (Brooklyn's Finest Pizza). I then proceeded to call every restaurant /bar in downtown, LODO, Lohi and Rino areas. Every single place stopped serving food.. A few had these crappy late night options which were just appetizers. I called the largest Mexican restaurant in downtown Denver, closed. Even in Bellingham, WA they had this decent Mexican joint that was open until 12AM.. Not here in Denver. There are a few of these nasty fast food places, but I don't equate fast food to "late night dining". Cherry Cricket has pretty bland burgers (everyone says they are best in world) and despite advertising serving food all night, they only serve a lame and limited late night menu after 10PM and I have come there around 11PM and told me they closed the kitchen because there was not enough customers. This is typical for Denver.

My point is that Denver is quite underwhelming for late night options, despite being considered and even larger city than Charlotte. I felt that after living in Charlotte there was even many more choices than Denver.

And, as I said , unless you live in one of the few cities in America that actually have nightlife you are going to be hard pressed to find lots of options. Even Seattle wasn't any Manhattan. There were a lot of dive bars and the university strip had a lot of late night hole-in-the-wall ethnic places to chose from. You won't find much of that in probably Denver or CHarlotte. I did notice that Charlotte had more late night bars that served food than Denver though.
So now we've gone from 2 to 10. Hmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 06:20 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
So now we've gone from 2 to 10. Hmmm.
Well maybe around 10 if you include chains.. But, even little towns have late night chain restaurants that are open.

As I said, I really like the Yard House, but it is mega-chained owned by same corporation as Olive Garden (which I don't like).

There is literally about 5 dining places I know about in Denver, itself, that are open late. One is very, very expensive (for wealthy late-nighters), the other is Vegetarian/Vegan place and then there is Pete's and Cart Driver..

As I said, please send me a list of the late night eateries (please no chains or fast food).. I love to see the large list you can come up with.. And, if you can send me a list of some late night places in Charlotte , I am sure both me and the OP would appreciate it.

It could be you are much more resourceful than I am.. If you think 5 late night restaurants in a city of 3+ million is good, well then, your standards are a bit lower than mine

Old 03-17-2019, 06:34 PM

167 posts, read 689,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I wish we could get a moratorium on ex-New Yorkers (or really any ex-Northerner) complaining about their new city not being New York.
I am moving to the area in June from NJ. My wife and I will definitely not be one of those. We are looking forward to getting out of this state..

Old 03-17-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Well maybe around 10 if you include chains.. But, even little towns have late night chain restaurants that are open.

As I said, I really like the Yard House, but it is mega-chained owned by same corporation as Olive Garden (which I don't like).

There is literally about 5 dining places I know about in Denver, itself, that are open late. One is very, very expensive (for wealthy late-nighters), the other is Vegetarian/Vegan place and then there is Pete's and Cart Driver..

As I said, please send me a list of the late night eateries (please no chains or fast food).. I love to see the large list you can come up with.. And, if you can send me a list of some late night places in Charlotte , I am sure both me and the OP would appreciate it.

It could be you are much more resourceful than I am.. If you think 5 late night restaurants in a city of 3+ million is good, well then, your standards are a bit lower than mine
Perhaps, but my standards for accuracy are higher, and I can count.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Perhaps, but my standards for accuracy are higher, and I can count.
Perhaps you just love getting into fights with people on web forums and have yet to show me all these places you have found.. I bet you won't be able to find them. You claimed Denver has 500 late night restaurants.. So, go ahead and send us the list and help the OP here construct a list of late night places for Charlotte as well. Or, maybe you just love getting in p*ssing matches on the internet rather than trying to help have a conversation and useful dialogue?

And, anyway, I don't care... Thanks for trying to get another thread locked.. Let's stay on topic ok???

Denver, Charlotte and many other mid-sized AMerican cities are not late night meccas, that was my point.. I guess starting a fight is about the only thing you care about anyway, so trying to stay on a thread topic is just a bit too challenging for you.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you just love getting into fights with people on web forums and have yet to show me all these places you have found.. I bet you won't be able to find them. You claimed Denver has 500 late night restaurants.. So, go ahead and send us the list and help the OP here construct a list of late night places for Charlotte as well. Or, maybe you just love getting in p*ssing matches on the internet rather than trying to help have a conversation and useful dialogue?
No, I claimed Yelp showed 500 places...and you claimed 2. Yelp has far more credibility than you do. Anyway, you're the one who veered this thread off topic by introducing Denver into a thread about Charlotte, remember that? LOL Nighty-nighty, and bless your heart precious.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:21 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Denver is the sleepiest "big city" I have ever lived in.
Quote:
There are literally just a few different lousy places to eat in Denver after 9PM. Denver is literally like a ghost town during the week and feels like it is deserted. .
Quote:
Also, if you think the pizza is bad in Charlotte you haven't had bad pizza yet.
For some strange reason I find your statements mildly comforting, if for no other reason other than to shut down Denver's unwarrented bravado.

As for Charlotte, there are sections that don't follow the outerbelt's suburban format, and the OP should hone in on those.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
No, I claimed Yelp showed 500 places...and you claimed 2. Yelp has far more credibility than you do. Anyway, you're the one who veered this thread off topic by introducing Denver into a thread about Charlotte, remember that? LOL Nighty-nighty, and bless your heart precious.

Woww.. SOmebody here is a wee bit passive aggressive..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
For some strange reason I find your statements mildly comforting, if for no other reason other than to shut down Denver's unwarrented bravado.

As for Charlotte, there are sections that don't follow the outerbelt's suburban format, and the OP should hone in on those.
I just feel Denver has the worst food of any city I have lived in, despite so many calling it a "foodie mecca".. YMMV though.. Some may find it appealing. E.g. everyone told me Work and Class is the greatest of the greatest restaurants. The brisket I paid $30 for there was dry and bland.. I had better brisket down in Matthews at Moe's BBQ for $8 and it was much, much better! The side of mashed potatoes cost me like $2 instead of the $8 it cost me at Work and Class. But everyone in Denver insists it is the most absolute spectacular brisket in the world! Sometimes you will have to wait hours to get a table there too.

My point is that CHarlotte is quite a gem of a food city and has more amenities than even some other cities that are considered super "HIP, TRENDY AND 'IT' CITIES".

What confused me about Charlotte was the neighborhood layout, but maybe I need to spend more time there again. It just felt like much of the city was disconnected. The only good thing I can say about Denver is it does have distinct neighborhoods. However, most of Denver metro is sprawled and even more sprawled than Charlotte. Charlotte is much more dense. Once you leave Denver it is just a giant massive sprawl of suburbia.. Outside of Charlotte, I don't know what other towns have their own distinct identity. But, a little over an hour away from Charlotte you have Winston-Salem and Greensboro which are pretty interesting cities in their own right. Denver has Boulder nearby, but Boulder is even more sleepy and despite its reputation felt very sterile and bland.

BTW, even though Denver has more breweries than Charlotte, I found the beer in the breweries in Charlotte to be better on average, although Denver does have some gems that are hard to compete against like Avery in Boulder (which is actually not Denver ). Southern Tier is perhaps my favorite brewery in the world and somehow they decided to open up a new location in Charlotte

Last edited by RotseCherut; 03-17-2019 at 08:09 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 01:29 PM

334 posts, read 307,384 times
Nice posting. It gives a prospective of how Charlotte compares with its competition. I find that there is plenty to do in Charlotte. One can only do so much. I like the mixed bag of bar hopping, theater, dining, concerts, etc. and I can't think that I would ever be bored. We may not have as much here as other places, but if we have enough to suit one's personal likings, there is no need in complaining. We can only do so much at one time. I would like for Charleston, North Myrtle Beach, the Catawba River, London, Rome, and Athens to be closer, but that is as stupid as living here in misery and not leaving.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:51 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Go back and visit for a weekend. Anytime I miss home I go back and visit and around the 2nd or 3rd day I remember why I left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte