Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:50 PM

56 posts, read 160,907 times

Advertisements

I would open my bakery for sure . . .and provide all things delicious for my fellow man woman and child.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 09:47 PM

79 posts, read 234,473 times
I think the OP was not limiting the investment to real estate, but I could be wrong. The bakery idea, while it sounds good, is probably not a great investment vehicle. Small bakeries tend to break even if they are lucky! People these days don't want to make an extra trip. Instead we go to the local Harris Teeter for one stop shopping. With that being said, I'd get a loan with my $200k as collateral and try for a Chick fil A in western Union County.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:19 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,702,805 times
Default OP's correction

Sorry for the `mis-communication--I meant real estate only in the Charlotte area.

Hey, I know you can make a lot of "bread" in the bakery business but I don't like the hours.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:35 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Just fantisizing here for a moment. If you had an extra $100,000 or $200,000 and decided that you wanted to place that bet on Charlotte N.C. where/how would you invest the money? Would love to hear the opinions of people that have some knowledge on the subject BUT not self-serving opinions. Form your opinions around today and now-current market conditions, etc.
If I read you right you are asking where in Charlotte we would spend up to $200,000 on a home as a good investment (meaning continual, steady appreciation - a neighborhood you would never lose money on?)

$200,000 will not get you into too many of the best of the best places I'm afraid. However, you could spend that $200,000 in a couple of places in south Charlotte that are in the vicinity of many other much more expensive neighborhoods - a great position to put yourself in. And I would go with south Charlotte over any other area personally.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
no brainer here. 195k condo in a good neighborhood sellin for 85k.
repos r us.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:44 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no brainer here. 195k condo in a good neighborhood sellin for 85k.
repos r us.
And do you know of such a place in Charlotte? I can't think of a single good area that has a condo this deeply discounted, but maybe you know of one?

If the op did want to go condo the key would be to buy one as close to uptown as possible in a stable, established area like the Elizabeth, Cotswold or even maybe South Park areas.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:32 AM

252 posts, read 879,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Just fantisizing here for a moment. If you had an extra $100,000 or $200,000 and decided that you wanted to place that bet on Charlotte N.C. where/how would you invest the money? Would love to hear the opinions of people that have some knowledge on the subject BUT not self-serving opinions. Form your opinions around today and now-current market conditions, etc.
I would definately look into SW Cabarrus county, near the Concord Mills Mall. They are selling apts in a Resort in the preconstruction stage. On the low end prices are 300,000 (10% dn...bal on closing in 2 years) and they go upwards to 1.5 million. Great place for investment now. Also uptown is still an option in a preconstruction high rise. The Donald is coming and I always say follow the money...I have done great there the past 3 years, andnow is the time for RE investment. In the long run it will out perform any other investment (unless you get lucky and get a stock like MS, Yahoo, in the early stages...

Old 04-13-2008, 04:48 AM

Default Expanding this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorton View Post
I would definately look into SW Cabarrus county, near the Concord Mills Mall. They are selling apts in a Resort in the preconstruction stage. On the low end prices are 300,000 (10% dn...bal on closing in 2 years) and they go upwards to 1.5 million. Great place for investment now. Also uptown is still an option in a preconstruction high rise. The Donald is coming and I always say follow the money...I have done great there the past 3 years, andnow is the time for RE investment. In the long run it will out perform any other investment (unless you get lucky and get a stock like MS, Yahoo, in the early stages...
When you say "I have done great there the past 3 years"...do you mean as a real estate agent earning commissions or personal investments? If from personal investments what type of investing did you do and have you cashed out and taken more than a paper gain?

"..and now is the time for RE investment"--why?

"Donald is coming.." But doesn't he have more than "a couple extra $100,000
bills"?

Old 04-13-2008, 05:23 AM

175 posts, read 546,251 times
I would DEFINITELY buy...if it was for investment purposes I'd keep my home here in Union County but purchase a condo uptown.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro2008 View Post
I would DEFINITELY buy...if it was for investment purposes I'd keep my home here in Union County but purchase a condo uptown.
Why? Remember right now we are only using play money on this forum board so it's easy to make a quick investment decision.Could the downside of your suggestion be:
1) Condo=You are not in control of your investment ie: assessments,condo board dosen't think like you.Managing renters not easy. New construction competing with your aging property.

2) Price point-what makes you think the "price is right" is this very unstable market? Kinda need a crystal ball don't we?

3) Liquidity of condos? I don't have a clue. Worse than other types of RE liquidity? Don't know.

Somehow, I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling with this idea,but hey, it's only play money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte