Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2019, 12:13 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times

Advertisements

Just for some background..as we move to NC we're taking my wifes parents who are approaching their 80s. They're still in excellent health and need their independence so we will be using whatever equity they have and getting a condo in our names which they will pay very cheap rent for. This will solve alot of our current issues, of distance and finances (for them) and allow them to live out their remaining years stress free.

My question for the group is mostly related to what I should consider when looking at condos from an investment perspective. This is something we'd continue to own/rent even when they no longer live there, but I want to make sure we locate correctly. Are there any pitfalls I should watch out for, or places we should stay away from in terms of long term resale? Some of the places we're considering are:

carolina orchards
Cresswinds
Tree Tops
Massey

I just want to make sure we plunk down the money into something that won't lose money, so location I assume will be key. Not looking for a windfall in profit here, just don't want to lose money on it later.

Any advice will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 12:55 PM

869 posts, read 1,787,812 times
Are you looking at Homes or Condos? I believe all of these properties are either Single Family Homes or attached homes. When we looked at 55& over communities, all were single family, don't believe I saw any condos. Look at the monthly assessments and what is included in them. Cresswinds was $250/mo and increasing, but includes TV, Internet and Security system.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
Are you looking at Homes or Condos? I believe all of these properties are either Single Family Homes or attached homes. When we looked at 55& over communities, all were single family, don't believe I saw any condos. Look at the monthly assessments and what is included in them. Cresswinds was $250/mo and increasing, but includes TV, Internet and Security system.
Yeah maybe I am referring to it incorrectly..I look at them as condos, but they are detached, single family units, so maybe they are homes. And cresswinds was my top pick from an investment perspective due it's proximity to charlotte. What do you think?

Old 06-17-2019, 03:23 PM

They are definitely homes. We thought Cresswinds was nice, but overpriced. We bought a house in a non 55 over community with similar features that was $40-$50k less in Indian Trail. Still kind of isolated,, but the hospital is right next door.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
They are definitely homes. We thought Cresswinds was nice, but overpriced. We bought a house in a non 55 over community with similar features that was $40-$50k less in Indian Trail. Still kind of isolated,, but the hospital is right next door.
nice, sounds like it worked out..there are homes like that in Millbridge going up now by DR Horton, same concept. ranch plans without the over 55 status. Did you look at Carolina Orchards, Tree Tops, and Sun City as well? What did you think

Old 06-17-2019, 06:01 PM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Look at some of the pinwheel homes/condos near Beatty Park on the Union / Mecklenburg border

It's called the Polo Club at Weddington in Matthews NC

Here's one:

https://www.terravistarealty.com/uni...weddington.cfm

Old 06-17-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
nice, sounds like it worked out..there are homes like that in Millbridge going up now by DR Horton, same concept. ranch plans without the over 55 status. Did you look at Carolina Orchards, Tree Tops, and Sun City as well? What did you think

We did, but not seriously because of the commute for my wife. She works Uptown Charlotte and the evening commute home was just too much. They are nice, Sun City is very large and offers everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte