Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 07:15 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyRocksNC View Post
I’m not going to argue that traffic is bad. But OP says her husband doesn’t consider an hour commute to the airport to be an issue. As of this moment, google maps and Waze both have the commute from Forest City to the airport sitting at 1 hour and 2 minutes. So let’s not make it out like those aren’t possibilities given the requests.
I live in Kings Mountain. I go to Shelby as little as possible because of the traffic mess there. It can take close to an hour for me to get to certain places in Shelby at certain times of the day. I know. I've had it happen to me. How about you? What's your experience with driving through Shelby? I normally go to Gastonia for shopping. One reason is that the traffic is generally better there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 07:21 AM

335 posts, read 427,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I live in Kings Mountain. I go to Shelby as little as possible because of the traffic mess there. It can take close to an hour for me to get to certain places in Shelby at certain times of the day. I know. I've had it happen to me. How about you? What's your experience with driving through Shelby? I normally go to Gastonia for shopping. One reason is that the traffic is generally better there.
Awesome, I'm glad you have experience sitting in traffic. I live in Charlotte and I'm looking to find options for someone that has horses and needs a barn and other amenities on site, Rutherfordton and the other places I listed HAVE these amenities on site, so I put them in my recommendations of places to look into. I didn't say the traffic won't exist, I didn't say they should only look at those areas. Just put them out there as places with horse facilities in place that would be reasonable according to OP's requests.

Thanks for your input, truly helpful.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:29 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Clover's growing, no? What's rural today, might not be tomorrow.
Yes but certain parts will never become developed. There are homes there in the 350k range with 8 acres and the homes around them sit on similar lots. They have great schools, close to Lake Wylie, amenities in the town, and like 40 minutes to the airport. Figured it was a great suggestion. Nothing really in the Charlotte region is going to be immune from growth at some point.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Awesome, I'm glad you have experience sitting in traffic. I live in Charlotte and I'm looking to find options for someone that has horses and needs a barn and other amenities on site, Rutherfordton and the other places I listed HAVE these amenities on site, so I put them in my recommendations of places to look into. I didn't say the traffic won't exist, I didn't say they should only look at those areas. Just put them out there as places with horse facilities in place that would be reasonable according to OP's requests.

Thanks for your input, truly helpful.
I learned to drive in the Philadelphia suburbs. I know traffic. I also know that there seems like there would be no rhyme or reason for the traffic in Shelby. It used to be discussed regularly on this board, but those people rarely post anymore. Think about it. Business 74 snakes through downtown Shelby. People drive on US 74, which, along with the Kings Mountain segment, were built as bypasses. The stretch in Shelby is and has been a mess for at least 30 years. The NCDOT doesn't make a habit of building a 2nd bypass for a town. They are doing that in Shelby.

There's a sign on business 74 in Kings Mountain, near my house, that says 90 miles to Asheville. Please feel free to check a map to see where Rutherfordton is relative to Kings Mountain and Asheville.

Cleveland County is a separate MLS. Are you checking only the Charlotte MLS? Kings Mountain properties are usually listed in both because the city is in Gaston and Cleveland counties.

There should be possible properties is the vicinity of Cherryville as well as in the vicinity of Grover.

There are a handful of old equestrian-related threads on this board.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:13 AM

335 posts, read 427,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I learned to drive in the Philadelphia suburbs. I know traffic. I also know that there seems like there would be no rhyme or reason for the traffic in Shelby. It used to be discussed regularly on this board, but those people rarely post anymore. Think about it. Business 74 snakes through downtown Shelby. People drive on US 74, which, along with the Kings Mountain segment, were built as bypasses. The stretch in Shelby is and has been a mess for at least 30 years. The NCDOT doesn't make a habit of building a 2nd bypass for a town. They are doing that in Shelby.

There's a sign on business 74 in Kings Mountain, near my house, that says 90 miles to Asheville. Please feel free to check a map to see where Rutherfordton is relative to Kings Mountain and Asheville.

Cleveland County is a separate MLS. Are you checking only the Charlotte MLS? Kings Mountain properties are usually listed in both because the city is in Gaston and Cleveland counties.

There should be possible properties is the vicinity of Cherryville as well as in the vicinity of Grover.

There are a handful of old equestrian-related threads on this board.
It is 65 miles from downtown Rutherfordton to the airport. Early morning commute would be around an hour on a reasonably consistent basis. Peak travel hours will be closer to an hour and a half, possibly more, as you stated.
I also think Grover would be a good option, but there are only a couple of properties actively available on either CarolinaMLS (now CanopyMLS) and CCAR (Cleveland Co MLS), same for Cherryville which would be a great option...I'm sure OP will benefit from the feedback from all of these comments about properties, traffic, area growth, and otherwise. There are a lot of people with experience in a lot of different areas who can help guide them.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
It is 65 miles from downtown Rutherfordton to the airport. Early morning commute would be around an hour on a reasonably consistent basis. Peak travel hours will be closer to an hour and a half, possibly more, as you stated.
I also think Grover would be a good option, but there are only a couple of properties actively available on either CarolinaMLS (now CanopyMLS) and CCAR (Cleveland Co MLS), same for Cherryville which would be a great option...I'm sure OP will benefit from the feedback from all of these comments about properties, traffic, area growth, and otherwise. There are a lot of people with experience in a lot of different areas who can help guide them.
Grover is very tiny. The last time that I looked it was less than 1,000 population. Cherryville is about half the population of Kings Mountain. Grover has the advantage of being off I 85.

People in Grover tend to go to Kings Mountain, Gastonia, or Gaffney for shopping. People in Cherryville might go to Kings Mountain, Shelby or Gastonia, but they don't tend to go into Shelby via US 74.

There should be information about the Shelby bypass on the Shelby Star website.

I had to go to the Cleveland County courthouse as a witness last month. I had to be there at 9 am. I allowed 50 minutes and barely made it on time, if that gives you any idea on the traffic. It might be 15 miles or slightly less. I've been out there in worse traffic than that. Traffic in Gastonia is much better.

Last edited by southbound_295; 08-22-2019 at 09:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte