Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 07:42 AM

474 posts, read 1,748,787 times

Advertisements

I'd love to see the Knights in Uptown. However, I think MLB in Charlotte would be a mistake. You can't do pro sports cheap and expect to succeed. See Bob Johnson and the Bobcats as Exhibit A. I can't see anyone bringing a team here and spending the necessary money on players to succeed.

I'll take the cheaper prices and better views of the field that come along with AAA baseball over the inflated prices and salaries of MLB any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 07:45 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
I agree. I beleive the biggest problem with the Bobcats is in fact its the NBA. As stated somewhere else once they go pro they turn into a bunch of over paid thugs. I do not want my children to see the kind of violence that goes on the court. If I did we would just go see a boxing match.....

Old 12-21-2006, 02:39 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
You would be suprised how many "Yankees" (sorry couldn't resist) from New York enjoy the NASCAR Circuit. Some of them are more die hard than us Southern Folk!
That is so true as I am one of htose yankees! But I would still love to see a MLB team here. I miss going to the park to catch a game! Nothing beats it! I will definitly go to see the Knights and to support the team, but I still wish it was Derek Jeter and the gang coming to play here....

Old 12-21-2006, 04:01 PM

414 posts, read 1,380,668 times
Just so you know Tampa Bay has an MLB team and they have population of over 300k.

So its possible charlotte could. According to citydata in year 2000 it was over 500k we know it must be close to 900k now?

I think they could support MLB. I hope they would build it from the ground up instead of importing a team.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:08 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
Charlotte has had minor league baseball for many years. The Knights are nothing new, they have been around for many years, and have played at Knights Stadium in Fort Mill since 1990. The Brewers won't be moving anywhere. They have a beautiful new stadium, Miller Park, which opened in 2001, and at least a 30 year lease to stay in Milwaukee. They draw over 2 million fans a year, which ranks higher than teams in many other larger metropolitan areas such as Washington DC, Baltimore, Miami, Denver and others. Tampa Bay would be the franchise most likely to move at this point, or Florida if they don't get their stadium situation resolved.
More off topic... Roxors, what are the Tourist games like in Asheville? I drove quickly past the stadium when I was there. It looked nice enough and very convenient to downtown?

Old 12-21-2006, 10:18 PM

958 posts, read 2,620,500 times
Tourists games are great. I go to about 4 or 5 a year. You're right very convenient to downtown, and due to Asheville's cooler summers it's almost always very comfortable. It's a great fan experience. Dollar beers on Thirsty Thursdays are a big draw...almost too rowdy of a crowd on that night, but it's fun all the same.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:25 AM

28 posts, read 125,637 times
hahaha that is pretty funny --- about Trump

Old 12-23-2006, 08:28 AM

28 posts, read 125,637 times
Charlotte will not see a MLB team any time soon. there is not the infrastructure to support it.

EVEN IF (and that is a big IF) the AAA Knights move uptown, does anyone honestly think that there will be enough people to help sustain 10k - 30k people per game, for like 40 games per year? I don't think so.

The Knights will certainly fare better uptown than they would in Fort Mill ... but what does that truly say? Nothing. A 50% increase on top of an average attendance of 5,000 per game means a 7,500 per game avg attendance. Even if it it doubles ... 10k? That is LOW LOW LOW.

We'll see though - I for one would love to see the baseball stadium built ... heck, at the least it'll incite the tear-down of the Virginia Paper Co. building, which is a haven for crime, and a popular sleeping place of the homeless

Old 12-23-2006, 04:32 PM

13 posts, read 53,711 times
I think we are still 10 years away from getting a mlb team. we should go after the pittsburgh penguins hockey team since the owner said he was interested in moving.

Old 12-23-2006, 05:07 PM

414 posts, read 1,380,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesuptown View Post
Charlotte will not see a MLB team any time soon. there is not the infrastructure to support it.

EVEN IF (and that is a big IF) the AAA Knights move uptown, does anyone honestly think that there will be enough people to help sustain 10k - 30k people per game, for like 40 games per year? I don't think so.

The Knights will certainly fare better uptown than they would in Fort Mill ... but what does that truly say? Nothing. A 50% increase on top of an average attendance of 5,000 per game means a 7,500 per game avg attendance. Even if it it doubles ... 10k? That is LOW LOW LOW.

We'll see though - I for one would love to see the baseball stadium built ... heck, at the least it'll incite the tear-down of the Virginia Paper Co. building, which is a haven for crime, and a popular sleeping place of the homeless
I think a lot more people will attend an MLB game than they will a AAA game. People just go to baseball games to go. But they are most always going to want to see MLB not AAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte