Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2006, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,265 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 and will be graduating from college in May. I and four of my college friends have all accepted jobs in Charlotte, and are curious about the lifestyle. We've taken several trips this past semester for interviews and think that it is a GREAT city!

We've all found places to live uptown but after reading some of the threads it seems that Charlotte is more 'family oriented' and that Raleigh is the place for single young professionals. Is it only because the RTP area has colleges like UNC, Duke, and NC State? I would've guessed that Charlotte is better for young people because it's a bigger city. Anyone have any insight on this??

Thanks,
Fletch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 01:47 PM

84 posts, read 123,341 times
Default young and single in charlotte

Check out www.charlottecitycommittee.com for some information. They have information about a young persons group. Email them and someone will get back in touch.

Old 12-24-2006, 06:26 PM

28 posts, read 125,658 times
Fletch,

Uptown is the place to be - bar none. My goodness, if my parents only told me that when I moved here right after graduating ... I moved right next to (literally) next to UNCC, thinking, well, I am 22, there will be plenty of people my age, etc etc etc. WRONG. Dumbest move I ever made. Bad, bad social scene there ... unless you want to go to frat parties or terrible bars ....

AND it seemed to me, in the three+ years I lived in that area, that since 90% or more of the UNCC undergrads are from the Charlotte area, tons of people disappear on the weekends. So much for a "singles scene" if you don't have anyone around ... Uptown is a diverse, mixed group of people, with folks from ALL over the country. I have in my condo - on my floor at least, literally one native Charlottean (not saying natives are bad, or anything like that Just commenting on the fact that it is a VERY heterogeneous group of people -- and that's a good thing.

We have creative thinkers; unbelievable successful businesspeople who are sub-25 years old, yet pull down fantastic salaries because they are so talented ... I have several artist neighbors, who do magnificent paintings, photography, architecture, etc.... and it has taught me SO much. I expanded my horizons tremendously in the past two years, for certain! You guys will too, no doubt.

But hey, if you have decent jobs -- here's one secret to Uptown: it's cheaper to OWN than to rent, quite literally. And nowadays, it is even easier to put down approx 1% (no $30,000 downpayments needed any more!) and still get preferential lending treatment. . .

Compare: rent of $1500 vs mortgage of $1000 (AND fully tax deductible!)
Check out: www.avenueuptown.com (broken link)
or: www.715NorthChurch.com
or: www.citadinliving.com
or lastly: www.garrisonatgraham.com (broken link)

All of these are either built, under construction or soon to be built. My goodness, if I had known, I would have bought a condo the month after graduating !! My mortgage now is seriously less than what I paid for a 1BR apt in University area for 5 years!!!

James
jamesuptown@aol.com

Last edited by jamesuptown; 12-24-2006 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 12-25-2006, 09:27 AM

218 posts, read 253,752 times
I think Uptown is a little overpriced right now. I'd wait for things to settle.

As far as your question... this is the city for young professionals. Sure Charlotte is family oriented, but that doesn't mean it's anti-single. If you want to see a good documentation on the nightlife scene here, go to www.carolinanightlife.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte