Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 02:33 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm back from our little weekend at Black Mountain and although we got rained out on Saturday, we managed to squeeze in a little shopping. I now am starting a whole new collection, and decided I was going into pottery! I got two pieces to start with that I will put on top of my kitchen cabinets. I saw a lot of those "crying faces" type...I actually got one and was wondering whether this was unique to the Carolinas and what they stood for? There were a couple in some antique stores we hit in downtown. I also want to know where I can get more, but want vertical ones, rather than bowls...sort of pitcher- or vase like that are made in the Carolinas? Anybody have suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 02:37 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
For NC pottery, the Seagrove area is the place to be.

Seagrove Area Potters Association NC - Official website of SAPA and Seagrove area pottery shops, stores, galleries, and studios around Moore, Montgomery, and Randolph Counties in North Carolina.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:47 PM

Wow...thanks for this link. I have to take a second mortgage if I want to shop this!

Old 04-20-2008, 03:28 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Well, I'm back from our little weekend at Black Mountain and although we got rained out on Saturday, we managed to squeeze in a little shopping. I now am starting a whole new collection, and decided I was going into pottery! I got two pieces to start with that I will put on top of my kitchen cabinets. I saw a lot of those "crying faces" type...I actually got one and was wondering whether this was unique to the Carolinas and what they stood for? There were a couple in some antique stores we hit in downtown. I also want to know where I can get more, but want vertical ones, rather than bowls...sort of pitcher- or vase like that are made in the Carolinas? Anybody have suggestions?
Oh my...you better start saving up your pennies (or better yet start playing the lotto) now that you have decided to start your new pottery collection!

I am hoping the moderators don't move this...and so to give this more of a Charlotte connection....did you know that the Mint Museum has a permanent collection of pottery from the area?

Mint Museum located in Charlotte, NC
The Mint Museum of Art - Home

They usually have have special events during the year as well (in fact in Sept. they have a Potters Market Invitational).

I am not sure we are speaking of the same thing (that you call crying faces) but there are what they refer to as Face Jugs that were used to store whiskey (during the prohibition years). Apparently they made them kind of ugly on purpose so it would keep the kids away.

We went to the Seagrove Pottery show last year and while I would have loved to buy more....my cheapnest left me leaving with only a Christmas ornament and candlestick holders.

There are several local potters around here..and if you are interested I have a list around here (somewhere?) that I would be more than happy to share with ya!

I also meant to tell you about a place that use to be located in Belmont, NC but they have since moved to Lowell, NC (just outside Gastonia). It is called JS Pottery (really nice people)..anyway they have classes that you can take there (even have one for face jugs)
JS Pottery - Face Jug Class (http://www.jspottery.com/face_jug/ - broken link)

Last edited by lovethecarolinas; 04-20-2008 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: added some info

Old 04-20-2008, 03:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
The old jugs are pricey and considered "outsider art." I have an article somewhere about the "ugly face" jugs . . . but there are people who make new ones - one such man is in the Catawba Valley region, but I can't recall his name - I will find that out for you. I did an article on him nearly 20 years ago (I guess he is still alive, LOL).

We need to head to Blowing Rock. Bolick Family Pottery is one of my favorite spots for finding neat pieces, and they will also do work on consignment. I have known the family since I was two years old - wonderful craftsmen.

Collecting pottery can be a great hobby!

Old 04-20-2008, 03:39 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The old jugs are pricey and considered "outsider art." I have an article somewhere about the "ugly face" jugs . . . but there are people who make new ones - one such man is in the Catawba Valley region, but I can't recall his name - I will find that out for you. I did an article on him nearly 20 years ago (I guess he is still alive, LOL).

We need to head to Blowing Rock. Bolick Family Pottery is one of my favorite spots for finding neat pieces, and they will also do work on consignment. I have known the family since I was two years old - wonderful craftsmen.

Collecting pottery can be a great hobby!
Randy Tobais is the folk art jug maker I've heard of. I believe he lives in Sylva, NC.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Wow...thanks for this link. I have to take a second mortgage if I want to shop this!
Try eBay. Use a keyword, like NC pottery, face jug, etc. to winnow it down. I collected some pricey cookie jugs shaped like vegetables on eBay, and the prices were better than in flea markets, antique stores, etc.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-20-2008 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-21-2008, 07:36 PM

279 posts, read 887,326 times
Smile pottery

I could get in real trouble if I went to Seagrove very often! I live in Mooresville and buy my pottery from a local gallery here called Landmark Gallery.It is owned by a local artist named Cotton Ketchie. He sells antique duck decoys,his prints of course and a nice collection of pottery.He has also published two books.You should check out his website,Watercolor Art - Watercolor Artist Cotton Ketchie - Landmark Galleries - Mooresville, NC - Home.

Last edited by nchunter; 04-21-2008 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunter View Post
I could get in real trouble if I went to Seagrove very often! I live in Mooresville and buy my pottery from a local gallery here called Landmark Gallery.It is owned by a local artist named Cotton Ketchie. He sells antique duck decoys,his prints of course and a nice collection of pottery.He has also published two books.You should check out his website,Watercolor Art - Watercolor Artist Cotton Ketchie - Landmark Galleries - Mooresville, NC - Home.
I'm already in trouble, but compared to Lladros, this is probably more affordable. Gives hubby something to get me at each anniversary, birthday, Mother's Day, etc. etc. I was going to start a Byers Carollers one, but thought it was too seasonal, and I needed something to put on top of those kitchen cabinets. Gotta love those! They're built-in display racks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte