Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2020, 05:31 PM

9 posts, read 7,424 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody

What are your thoughts on troutman, NC?

And Greenville, SC?

I know these are like apples and oranges in some way, but I really need a comparison between the two. I don't particularly want to go into detail as to why we are honing in on these two places (it's a lot of typing )

And I know I can look some of these up (I have), but I value people's personal experiences a lot. And I have read extensively on Greenville, SC forums, but I want to get a comparison specifically on troutman to Greenville on these things.

**Conserv/Liberal?

**Fishing//hiking//outdoors activities?

**public schools?

** meeting people/other families/friends

**things to do??

Traffic isn't really an issue for us since both of us work from home full time.

Thanks so much on your input
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 06:21 PM

628 posts, read 398,674 times
They are nothing alike, if for no other reason one has a population of 70,000 (and is the center of a county of over 500,000) and the other has a population of 2,700.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:34 AM

231 posts, read 213,418 times
Think of it like comparing a honda civic to a BMW 6 series. Sure, they are similar in that they are both cars with seats, tires and work for basic transportation. Neither one is the worst choice you could make nor the absolute pinnacle of automotive nirvana. However, one isn't just basic transport. It is more comfortable and has got bells and whistles the other can only dream of. If there wasn't a significant cost difference you know which one you would pick every time.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:31 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Pretty sure conservative

Lake Norman state park is in Troutman, so that’s a plus. You can also be in various mountain towns in an hour and a half.

There’s not a lot to do in Troutman, but most of your everyday needs should be able to be met in nearby Mooresville (or maybe Statesville). Probably about 40 minutes to the uptown area of Charlotte if there’s no traffic.

Zootastic Park is one family-friendly activity that is in Troutman.

Not too familiar with the schools. If you’re looking in suburban neighborhoods, I’m sure a lot of people will also work from home, some in Mooresville (I’d bet many of those at Lowe’s HQ), and some in Charlotte.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:32 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
Greenville, SC is a metro area of almost 1 million people. Definitely more to offer in Greenville on all of your metrics used. Greenville County/Upstate is definitely the most conservative area in the state versus Charleston and Columbia. I'd choose Greenville in this scenario.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Greenville, SC is a metro area of almost 1 million people. Definitely more to offer in Greenville on all of your metrics used. Greenville County/Upstate is definitely the most conservative area in the state versus Charleston and Columbia. I'd choose Greenville in this scenario.
And the Charlotte metro area (which Troutman is a part of) is 2.5X that...

Old 05-26-2020, 10:00 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
And the Charlotte metro area (which Troutman is a part of) is 2.5X that...
Ok.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Ok.
So using metro area size as an argument for Greenville probably isn’t your best argument...

Greenville will have more amenities close by, but Troutman has more amenities in the overall (Charlotte) area.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:45 AM

9 posts, read 7,424 times
Thank you so much you guys for your input )

Old 06-03-2020, 07:31 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So using metro area size as an argument for Greenville probably isn’t your best argument...

Greenville will have more amenities close by, but Troutman has more amenities in the overall (Charlotte) area.
Seeing as though Troutman is an exurb and Greenville is the central city its region, urbanized area population is probably the best measure to use. The only issue with that is Troutman is part of urban Statesville which is the barely-connected northern appendage of Charlotte's urbanized area as of 2010. In 2000 it was its own urban cluster of about 34K and from that year to 2018 the municipalities of Statesville and Troutman added a combined 5K people. I'd say you could realistically round up to 50K for Troutman-Statesville which still has a measure of autonomy in the larger region. Greenville's urbanized area is completely contiguous with that of suburban Mauldin-Simpsonville which gives it a combined urbanized area population of about 580K (this doesn't include Spartanburg or Anderson which have their own separate urbanized areas). Statistically that's over 10x larger than Troutman-Statesville but in real life it's probably closer to 5x larger since there is a larger population base to the south in Mooresville/Lake Norman that can be easily accessed.

Now of course if the OP winds up in a Greenville exurb like Laurens, that changes the comparison a bit. But I think this is probably as close as it gets to an apples to apples comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte