Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:19 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesJeep View Post
Have to agree here.

Man up and go speak to the person. If your that scared, have a witness , have a recorder in your pocket. Get the guy to admit to doing it. And record any threats, or other bad language might come from the guy. If the people are bad people, or tough guys, or trouble makers, the law will side with you.
But you need to confront them first.
That sounds all well and good, but you guys have NO idea what LAMF has personally already been thru - including having to pull a gun to protect himself. I'd say he "manned up" better than most men I know would have, he's no wimp. These are just very scary people. And calling the police has been very ineffective for him. Normally I too would say, just try to work it out, talk to your neighbors...this is not the kind of place where that is going to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 10:22 AM

36 posts, read 119,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
In this particular neighborhood - wh/ as Loves said is in transition - talking is only going to get you more of the same, only the next dump-off will include bigger items, such as appliances and sofas.

EDIT TO ADD: and yes, there could be threats of violence and perhaps even damage to LAMF's house itself (i.e. broken windows, kicked in doors, torn up lawn/shrubbery, etc)
They make motion detection cameras real cheep on ebay and other sites. Continuous problems can be recorded and used in court.

I can speak to anybody on this planet that I can gain audience with. From the richest people in country clubs, to people found in your most scariest places in the ghettos.
The first step is to speak to them. Those kind of people take more offense to the law being called, and might even respect a person for having the gonads to confront them.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That sounds all well and good, but you guys have NO idea what LAMF has personally already been thru - including having to pull a gun to protect himself. I'd say he "manned up" better than most men I know would have, he's no wimp. These are just very scary people. And calling the police has been very ineffective for him. Normally I too would say, just try to work it out, talk to your neighbors...this is not the kind of place where that is going to work.
Ok I didn't see the pulling gun to protect ones self part.

I'd guess at this point take pics of the offense happening, and file charges.

Get a free consultation from a laywer

where is this happening? if close enough I can aid in capturing photos or other services. I hate to see some one falling prey to people like that

Old 05-04-2008, 10:28 AM

628 posts, read 2,078,109 times
I understand what all of you are stating and I am not suggesting that you go next door and tell them to stop dumping stuff an your property. I am just stating that if they know you are scared of them they will continue to do whatever they want to make your life miserable. I simply suggest that you state that someone has been dumping garbage on my property and ask if they have seen anyone dump anything. Even though you know whose doing it and they know whose doing it...just showing that you are not intimidated by them could be enough to stop it.

I edited because during the creation of this a lot more info came out. I didn't realize your battle with these people has progressed to the level stated..you are right; at this point speaking is a waste of time...I would suggest getting these guys on video and having the arrested.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:29 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesJeep View Post
They make motion detection cameras real cheep on ebay and other sites. Continuous problems can be recorded and used in court.

I can speak to anybody on this planet that I can gain audience with. From the richest people in country clubs, to people found in your most scariest places in the ghettos.
The first step is to speak to them. Those kind of people take more offense to the law being called, and might even respect a person for having the gonads to confront them.
Hey, I too can speak to "anybody on this planet that I can gain an audience with" but these people aren't giving out many "audiences". A gang member/crack head dealer has absolutely no respect for anybody elses opinion OR for whether or not they have gonads.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
It doesnt due a bit of good in court if the other party does not think rational.
As I said in post 20 you dont have understanding of the neighborhood and the mind set of these people some are are not rational thinkers. It not going to do a bit of good in court if the homeowner possibly dead or home burnt down. Handling this thru the city and legal system is the best for this situation for this particular neighborhood

Old 05-04-2008, 10:42 AM

628 posts, read 2,078,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It doesnt due a bit of good in court if the other party does not think rational.
As I said in post 20 you dont have understanding of the neighborhood and the mind set of these people some are are not rational thinkers. It not going to do a bit of good in court if the homeowner possibly dead or home burnt down. Handling this thru the city and legal system is the best for this situation for this particular neighborhood

It's a shame it has progressed to this level. I work for the County and am surrounded and deal with people like this all day long. By getting the law involved at the beginning you lost all respect with them and escalated an already awful situation. However handling this thru the legal system and the authorities will put your property in a precarious situation; because they will possibly be looking to get back at you. You are in a really tough situation at this point. I hope you can wash your hands of this home and this headache.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:44 AM

If there drug dealers I can have the DEA on there door step. Drug dealers wouldn't want anything to do with cops. Just bring the local sherif to there door.

Nice to know people in high places.

Like I said, where is this happening?

Old 05-04-2008, 10:51 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
It's a shame it has progressed to this level. I work for the County and am surrounded and deal with people like this all day long. By getting the law involved at the beginning you lost all respect with them and escalated an already awful situation. However handling this thru the legal system and the authorities will put your property in a precarious situation; because they will possibly be looking to get back at you. You are in a really tough situation at this point. I hope you can wash your hands of this home and this headache.
When I think about how ineffectual legal remedies can often turn out, I know in these circumstances, that maybe a gallon of gasoline applied judiciously to the neighbors' house in the middle of the night might solve the problem! Can you tell I watched Sweeny Todd last night?

Old 05-04-2008, 10:52 AM

330 posts, read 1,036,162 times
Okay, I was out for a little while and didn't get a chance to respond to a lot of posts, so I will sum up my reasons for simply calling the city rather than trying to reason with the neighbors.

First off, I am trying to sell this house. I do not live there, and only get the chance to make it out there once a week or so. Unfortunately there is not much I can do about that situation, and the neighbors know full well that the house is not currently occupied.

Secondly, when I was living there, I had enough interactions with the house next door to know that speaking to them will not only be worthless, but to also know that there are so many people "living" there that determining who to speak to would be an exercise in futility. The owner of the house passed away a number of months ago. The house is currently occupied by relatives and friends who use it as a base to sell drugs in the neighborhood. I have pulled up the arrest history on a number of the people who consistently reside at the house, and it is safe to say that they have no fear of the police.

I did not call the city to get them arrested, fined, or anything of the sort. I called the city to remove the debris, as I am trying to sell the house. As I stated, these people are no strangers to the criminal justice system, and going through the expense of setting up video surveillance would be a complete waste of time. So ... we catch them dumping some trash and take them to court. These people sell drugs in the open and have been arrested on the property dozens of times. Do you really think they care if they are caught dumping some trash?

My issue is that the city is trying to fine me for violations when I am the one who called them in the first place. This is almost surreal in its silliness.

To those who backed me up in the thread: thanks. To those who think I am not man enough to handle problems on my own, I don't blame you for thinking that without knowing more about the situation, as that would probably have been my first reaction as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: