Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 08:31 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,611,482 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering a move to the Charlotte metro - I've lived in Upstate SC for about a decade - BUT, this job opportunity (in Charlotte) may be difficult to turn down
Specifically, this job opportunity located in Concord. I have three older children so public schools are very important. Additionally, two of my children are top competitive swimmers in SC - I've heard great things about SwimMAC (competitive swim program) - we need a house/place of residence close to this swim club - the closest locations are Huntersville and Davidson (to Concord)
Lastly, after living near DT Greenville SC with extremely overpriced homes, I do not want to spend a lot on a residence - I do not mind commutes - what are the pros/cons living in Mecklenberg vs Cabarrus vs Iredell Counties? (looking for inexpensive properties with significant upside potential) - I would not mind living as far as Mooresville but I do not know how realistic that would be (commute times, Iredell county schools, etc)
Thank you to all NC posters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 09:40 AM

425 posts, read 419,518 times
This is tough, since SwimMAC's primary location is near Providence/485 on the south side of Charlotte. Charlotte is big enough that I don't consider crossing it to be a trivial activity - so in my opinion Mooresville, Davidson and Huntersville are not viable choices. I'd suggest looking more intently at your options in Concord (at least that is a trip around the east side of 485, versus going *through* Charlotte) or perhaps Mint Hill, Matthews or the smaller towns east of Charlotte along highway 27 like Midland and Locust.

Even if you are able to use the smaller pools outside of Charlotte more often than I'm assuming - the northern towns are expensive. You may want to put some numbers on your post so that the Realtors on this forum can chime in and tell you what is realisitc.

Last edited by SGMI; 02-07-2021 at 09:58 AM..

Old 02-07-2021, 01:59 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,966,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I am seriously considering a move to the Charlotte metro - I've lived in Upstate SC for about a decade - BUT, this job opportunity (in Charlotte) may be difficult to turn down
Specifically, this job opportunity located in Concord. I have three older children so public schools are very important. Additionally, two of my children are top competitive swimmers in SC - I've heard great things about SwimMAC (competitive swim program) - we need a house/place of residence close to this swim club - the closest locations are Huntersville and Davidson (to Concord)
Lastly, after living near DT Greenville SC with extremely overpriced homes, I do not want to spend a lot on a residence - I do not mind commutes - what are the pros/cons living in Mecklenberg vs Cabarrus vs Iredell Counties? (looking for inexpensive properties with significant upside potential) - I would not mind living as far as Mooresville but I do not know how realistic that would be (commute times, Iredell county schools, etc)
Thank you to all NC posters!
Considering it’s a sellers market good luck finding a home in an area that’s even slightly desirable for cheap. Charlotte has high crime in the affordable areas and there are constantly numerous police press conferences on how to combat that issue. My husband and and I are trying to buy right now in Meck and the homes aren’t even hitting the market. They’re being sold before listing. Our realtor just sold one sight unseen for $30k over asking just to assure they got it.. we’ve tried several times and homes we’ve put offers on has 10-15 offers by days end, the day they listed. All sold above asking. Be ready To pay full asking plus closing. We’ve considered halting and building ... also good schools are in desirable areas. Concord is north of thr city and the swim is in the south part. Traffic is lessened with Covid but when it eventually starts back up that’s gonna feel like one hell of a commute... also, north of Charlotte in the Concord, Huntersville (Lake Norman) area is currently dealing with a cancer cluster. Research before you reside.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:20 AM

60 posts, read 91,708 times
Just to add, in the 2+ years I've resided in Concord, there has absolutely been a difference in the quality of people in my complex. There have been more break ins, drug deals in the parking lot, and overall just observations of strange people who really shouldn't be hanging around. It's not just me, others have said the exact same thing who have bee here as long as I have or longer. The undesirable behavior from Charloote is creeping it's way up 85 as prices push people further away. Not all areas of course, but near the mall has certainly changed.

Concord prices have skyrocketed. I have family who bought in their neighborhood 2-3 years ago at 160k. The homes are now well over 200k. And this is more towards Mt Pleasant, so any areas that are closer to Concord Mills and Charlotte will be even higher. I avoid Charlotte as much as possible, the driving is rough coming from Concord to south of the city. Not exaggerating either. Friends from back home in the Boston area have visited and realized that it has been as bad as I and others have said haha.

I know a few other people that bought in 2020, and Sweetbottoms observations are exactly what I heard. Paying full price or higher and selling within days. Multiple offers over asking.

The Northern Lake towns are on par price wise with the suburban MA town I am from. 400-600k+. There are outliers naturally but these areas are so desirable that most people are becoming priced out of them.

If it were me, I'd be looking south east of the city, the congestion is only going to get worse if your interests lie further south. Mine are more toward Lake Norman and South of Charlotte, so I'll be buying further north off of 85 but still be 30-40 minutes away from those expensive areas.

Good luck!

Old 02-08-2021, 10:28 AM

60 posts, read 91,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Livin 24 View Post
Just to add, in the 2+ years I've resided in Concord, there has absolutely been a difference in the quality of people in my complex. There have been more break ins, drug deals in the parking lot, and overall just observations of strange people who really shouldn't be hanging around. It's not just me, others have said the exact same thing who have bee here as long as I have or longer. The undesirable behavior from Charloote is creeping it's way up 85 as prices push people further away. Not all areas of course, but near the mall has certainly changed.

Concord prices have skyrocketed. I have family who bought in their neighborhood 2-3 years ago at 160k. The homes are now well over 200k. And this is more towards Mt Pleasant, so any areas that are closer to Concord Mills and Charlotte will be even higher. I avoid Charlotte as much as possible, the driving is rough coming from Concord to south of the city. Not exaggerating either. Friends from back home in the Boston area have visited and realized that it has been as bad as I and others have said haha.

I know a few other people that bought in 2020, and Sweetbottoms observations are exactly what I heard. Paying full price or higher and selling within days. Multiple offers over asking.

The Northern Lake towns are on par price wise with the suburban MA town I am from. 400-600k+. There are outliers naturally but these areas are so desirable that most people are becoming priced out of them.

If it were me, I'd be looking south east of the city, the congestion is only going to get worse if your interests lie further south. Mine are more toward Lake Norman and South of Charlotte, so I'll be buying further north off of 85 but still be 30-40 minutes away from those expensive areas.

Good luck!
Meant to say North of Charlotte for my interests lol

Old 02-09-2021, 10:18 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,615 times
Harrisburg puts you close to Concord and right near 485 to get down to SwimMAC, you may also want to look at Locust or Midland as you can get to 485 quick, and up to Concord via 601 solidly quick. Harrisburg Schools are good, crime is low, it is just not built out like Huntersville and the others.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:18 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,350,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
I'd suggest looking more intently at your options in Concord (at least that is a trip around the east side of 485, versus going *through* Charlotte) or perhaps Mint Hill, Matthews or the smaller towns east of Charlotte along highway 27 like Midland and Locust.
This (somewhere like Midland) is probably OP's best chance of getting something a little more affordable while being commutable to both Concord and the pool in South Charlotte (about 30 minutes to each).

OP, what do you mean by "inexpensive" and how close do you want to be to the swim club?

Old 02-09-2021, 10:25 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
This (somewhere like Midland) is probably OP's best chance of getting something a little more affordable while being commutable to both Concord and the pool in South Charlotte (about 30 minutes to each).

OP, what do you mean by "inexpensive" and how close do you want to be to the swim club?
I thought of Harrisburg/Midland/Locust as the suitable areas but Harrisburg for the most part wont be "inexpensive" to buy a home.

Old 02-09-2021, 12:11 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,964,041 times
Swim Mac has a program at Huntersville Family Fitness and Aquatics, which would be about 20 or so minutes from Concord, depending. There is very little inventory around, making prices skyrocket and often go under contract before the home is even on the market.

While there are cancer concerns in and around the Charlotte area, Concord isn't really one of them. It's more concentrated in Huntersville (around Hopewell HS) and other parts of Huntersville that are closer to Lake Norman. It seems to have a connection to the coal ash from Duke and how it was used as "dirt" in and around the area. There are the Ocular cancer cases (Huntersville area) and Thyroid Cancer cases(which has officially been designated as a cluster) in Mooresville.

http://www.swimmaccarolina.org/hffa/

Old 02-09-2021, 03:23 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,611,482 times
Thanks to all posters for the replies...
It is my understanding that SwimMAC divides its swimmers into "North" and "South" regions - not sure which is more preferred. Per SwimMAC's website, they have 3 pool locations: one in South (Charlotte) and 2 in North (Huntersville and Davidson)
I prefer a 4bd, 2+ bath less than 400K in a desirable school district - is that possible in the Concord/Harrisburg area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte