Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 11:23 AM

10 posts, read 10,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk55 View Post
I get it...you're in Cleveand, OHIO and are looking for places near Charlotte similar to where you're coming from.

I'm only of a little help here, since I lived in the Charlotte area about 8 years ago for a short period. I know just a little about Cleveland, OH from having passed through there going from my home in Buffalo to Dayton and Columbus (OH).

So...the only two places that you mention that sound familiar are Medina and Hinckley, which as I recall are somewhere well south of Cleveland near the I-271 bypass. I'd say that if you're looking for communities that have expressway access to the city but aren't in heavily developed sprawl (at least as I remember it), you might start looking at places such as Mooresville, Gastonia, Belmont and maybe Concord. Also Fort Mill and Tega Cay in SC.

HTH at least a little. As I say, my knowledge of where you're coming from and where you're going isn't very recent.
Thank you! I will look at these areas too. Yes, most of the areas I mentioned in the original post (from the Cleveland area in OH) are approximately 30-40 mins from downtown (assuming no traffic). It appears that similar areas in Charlotte would be maybe 40-60 mins away from downtown, which would probably be fine since I wouldn't need to go to the office every day, but I want to make sure I am not 3 hours away if I would ever need to go to downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 08:29 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
40 mins to uptown can mean less than 7 miles from city center depending on what direction. I live about 10 miles out and in rush hour it’ll take me over an hour to get city center. 25 mins not in rush hour if I don’t get caught waiting for a train to pass, car wreck, or if the highway is backed up and then backs up the entire road going into uptown. Possibly more if it’s raining or snowing or just having a bad traffic day (that’s every day) . My husband would often take and hour + to get home in rush hour and we live 7 miles on the dot from his job. So that’s not applicable for much tbh. This is a major city and commute time varies day to day. There is no set commute time from any direction and my best advise is always leave an hour early if it’s more than 7 miles. Otherwise expect to be late

Anything that close to the airport is going to be crime city. The west side of Charlotte is notorious for murders and shootings and drive bys as is the east and some of the north. On the daily too. We’ve have murders every day in those areas. Are you ok with airplane noise? Most of west charlotte and SW a Charlotte experience hours of it. Anywhere within 30 mins of thr airport and I will guarantee planes flying right over your house for hours and hours on end. I mean so low you can read the writing on the plane. That you can experience all the way to lake Wylie on the west side and even Fort Mill in SC. Planes start around 4:30-5am and go till 12 or so at night.

As far as schools, well...Compare your state to NC and see where it sits. The Carolinas don’t rank high on the educational standards ans we chose to homeschool. Someone may have better input on that though. Fort Mill, SC maybe. But then you gotta live in SC. Whole set of different laws and morals and I avoid that cause I’m personally not about Lindsey Graham and their bills against women and gays and pretty much everything etc. I’ve seen more Qanon shirts on that side of the border than I ever wanna see in my life. I digress.

Also if you want neighborhood then that means HOA.. good luck with an orchard or garden. Many are not zoned for that. Sounds like what your looking for lies outside Meck (Charlotte) boundaries and you can expect long commutes. Imo find where the jobs are first and work your way out. Price matters too. What’s your budget? Id would crime map all Of Charlotte
and go from there too. Murder rates rose over 90% or so last year and we are on track to break even that record. There’s too many variables to just name off some areas in Ohio and then ask where to find that here. Name specifically what you are looking for in those areas
You are wrong on the airport comments. The OP wants to be 20-30 mins from the airport, not 2-3. Not to mention people don’t often have to go to the airport at rush hour. Places like Huntersville, southern Denver, Highland Creek area, SW Concord, Harrisburg, Mint Hill, Matthews, Ballantyne, Weddington, and Fort Mill should all be less than 30 minutes to the airport outside of rush hour and about 45 minutes to uptown in rush hour (maybe less now, maybe slightly worse for some when traffic is bad), plus places like Belmont or closer-in areas of South Charlotte that are even closer.

The plane noise is mainly an issue if you’re less than 10-15 Miles or so from the airport. Yes other areas a little further away will have planes going overhead, but it’s not that noticeable and of course you have to remember we live near one of the busiest airports in the country.

Yes, most neighborhoods here have HOA’s but plenty of people in them have gardens. If the “orchard” isn’t much more than that that shouldn’t be an issue in most neighborhoods unless the HOA is really strict (such as Highland Creek).

OP’s biggest issue will be getting a half acre+ that’s reasonable commuting distance. My guess would be the best shots would be Weddington, Denver, or Mint Hill but those are all on the outer edges of the desired commute radius. Reviews on Mint Hill schools are mixed but the other 2 are pretty positive. Some of South Charlotte could be an option if you have mucho bucks.

But LOL at “90% increase in murder rate” in Charlotte. Quick search shows it was actually more like 18% (https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...248343380.html), much less than many other parts of the country and about half what the rate/population that it was in Charlotte in 1993.

Sorry OP, don’t know anything about Cleveland other than that I visited the city once about 15 years ago and wasn’t a fan.

Last edited by GoPhils; 04-24-2021 at 08:37 AM..

Old 04-25-2021, 07:30 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,965,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
You are wrong on the airport comments. The OP wants to be 20-30 mins from the airport, not 2-3. Not to mention people don’t often have to go to the airport at rush hour. Places like Huntersville, southern Denver, Highland Creek area, SW Concord, Harrisburg, Mint Hill, Matthews, Ballantyne, Weddington, and Fort Mill should all be less than 30 minutes to the airport outside of rush hour and about 45 minutes to uptown in rush hour (maybe less now, maybe slightly worse for some when traffic is bad), plus places like Belmont or closer-in areas of South Charlotte that are even closer.

The plane noise is mainly an issue if you’re less than 10-15 Miles or so from the airport. Yes other areas a little further away will have planes going overhead, but it’s not that noticeable and of course you have to remember we live near one of the busiest airports in the country.

Yes, most neighborhoods here have HOA’s but plenty of people in them have gardens. If the “orchard” isn’t much more than that that shouldn’t be an issue in most neighborhoods unless the HOA is really strict (such as Highland Creek).

OP’s biggest issue will be getting a half acre+ that’s reasonable commuting distance. My guess would be the best shots would be Weddington, Denver, or Mint Hill but those are all on the outer edges of the desired commute radius. Reviews on Mint Hill schools are mixed but the other 2 are pretty positive. Some of South Charlotte could be an option if you have mucho bucks.

But LOL at “90% increase in murder rate” in Charlotte. Quick search shows it was actually more like 18% (https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...248343380.html), much less than many other parts of the country and about half what the rate/population that it was in Charlotte in 1993.

Sorry OP, don’t know anything about Cleveland other than that I visited the city once about 15 years ago and wasn’t a fan.
In 2019 homicide went up 89.5% .. right on the CMPD state page . 2020 slowed due to pandemic, we’ve had a murder or more almost every night the month of April. We’re already on target to beat 2019s numbers. Over 55 children under the age of 18 have been murdered in Charlotte in 2020-2021. A simple google search will show you the west side isn’t any good and the east side has nearly nightly shootings too. I dunno who you’re kidding lol. I suggest OP follow any news site for Charlotte Like WCNC to get a clear picture. I’m looking right at all of this. Also Huntersville has a cancer cluster. Why you recommending that area? Come on now.

“ Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department Crime Statistics Summary Report Highlights
End of Year, 2019
CMPD ended 2019, with a 5.9% increase in Index Offenses compared to last year. Property crime increased by 4.9% while violent crime increased by 11.5%.
• 108 homicides were reported compared to 57, resulting in an increase of 89.5%.”

Old 04-25-2021, 06:07 PM

66 posts, read 58,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofl2020 View Post
Hi, my apologies. I was talking about Cleveland, OH! was wondering if anyone is familiar with both areas and could recommend something similar I should've specified!
I think most of us understood,...except for those few only

Old 04-26-2021, 11:42 AM

120 posts, read 140,367 times
I think I can help you. We've lived in Akron and Rocky River, just moving here from RR about 1.5 years ago. Kids played lax in Medina so I was there ALL THE TIME hah. I think I have a good idea of what you're looking for, but I can only speak to where we ended up in this area.

After looking at Belmont, Cramerton, eventually Gastonia, and the southern border of Belmont, we ended up just over the state line in Lake Wylie, SC (it's a Clover address, however) We've been here 18 months and we love it and can't say enough good about it! And there are tons of Ohio folks down here. I work at a local elementary school and see so many Buckeye car stickers! We've got lots of people from the northeast settling here too. And I like our politicians in SC, so there's that

And Clover Schools are very, very good. Working in a Clover School District elementary school in the Lake Wylie area, I can speak to the strong academics as well as the respectfulness of the kids, no matter their background. It's impressive. Traffic is a little better than Fort Mill, but about the same distance to uptown, and 25-30 to the airport.

There are rural areas around here where you can get some land, as well. We live in a neighborhood with an HOA, but some are more relaxed than others. While we don't have the walkable and charming courthouse and town square like Medina, the Lake Wylie area has a nice, relaxed charm. Traffic is only bad for an hour in the morning and late afternoon. Housing prices are much saner than Lake Norman/Mooresville areas and property taxes are so low it'll blow your socks off. No one believes me when I tell them how little we pay. And with great schools, to boot.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-26-2021, 06:36 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
In 2019 homicide went up 89.5% .. right on the CMPD state page . 2020 slowed due to pandemic, we’ve had a murder or more almost every night the month of April. We’re already on target to beat 2019s numbers. Over 55 children under the age of 18 have been murdered in Charlotte in 2020-2021. A simple google search will show you the west side isn’t any good and the east side has nearly nightly shootings too. I dunno who you’re kidding lol. I suggest OP follow any news site for Charlotte Like WCNC to get a clear picture. I’m looking right at all of this. Also Huntersville has a cancer cluster. Why you recommending that area? Come on now.

“ Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department Crime Statistics Summary Report Highlights
End of Year, 2019
CMPD ended 2019, with a 5.9% increase in Index Offenses compared to last year. Property crime increased by 4.9% while violent crime increased by 11.5%.
• 108 homicides were reported compared to 57, resulting in an increase of 89.5%.”
Well when most people say “last year” they mean 2020 vs 2019, not 2019 vs 2018. Maybe you didn't follow the news much in 2020, but many areas saw murders increase 30-40% in 2020. I never said Charlotte has no crime btw, but it’s probably worth noting that 2018 was more of a low year than 2019 or 2020 were high. 2018 was actually down 35% vs 87 in 2017.

I don’t believe Huntersville has been officially designated a cluster. It’s like 20 cases over the span of a decade in a town of 50k. It’s weird that they haven’t found anything tangible, but I think it’s a little overblown IMO. Not to mention if it is actually a problem in Huntersville, it’s likely a problem everywhere within about a 10-15 mike radius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte