Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 AM

488 posts, read 799,171 times

Advertisements

Scrubbing and loving for rescued dogs | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

I know I come off to some as a shrew but THIS IS WHY I WARN PEOPLE ABOUT CUTE ADORABLE PUPPIES ON THE INTERNET.

Here are a list of good questions when you buy from someone local or not local:

1 Are you active in your breed club (if they are not RUN AWAY)

2 How do your puppies conform to the breed standard (if they don't know RUN AWAY)

3. The XXXXX Breed Club suggests that all breeding animals have the following tests - can I please see copies of their tests (then check the OFA website)

4. Why did you choose to breed Fido to Fluffy (If they cannot rattle on for 10 minutes and make you want to die of boredom RUN AWAY)

5. What are the characteristics of Fluffy and Fido you like and in what ways do you feel they lack (see answer above - any good breeder will know the plusses and minuses and easy breeder is NOT one of them)

Ask about health guarantees - SPECIFIC in WRITING guarantees. Ask for pictures of the parents...lots of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 AM

And please donate to these poor breeding animals in the article who have never felt a kind hand or any love. More than likely that cute puppy you bought online is their kid!

And I am sending puppy pads, wormer, blankets and some cash to them - I have leftover puppy supplies and abhor irresponsible breeders!

Last edited by Slakkie; 02-09-2012 at 07:58 AM..

Old 02-10-2012, 02:09 PM

821 posts, read 1,855,353 times
Anyone who buys a pet from an on-line breeder is out of their mind. I don't necessarily endorse government getting any deeper in our lives, but all of the backyard breeders we see advertised need to licensed and regulated by the NC Department of Agriculture. All of the cases of dog breeding farms reported in the news should be enough to get some reasonable laws passed whereby nasty facilities and abusive treatment of animals will become a thing of the past. Yet, it was the NC Pork Producers that fought to stop regulations on puppy farms. And, as a NRA member, I'm not at all happy that the NRA objected to the new regs because it would affect hunting dogs. Pork producers are afraid that PETA will use the new laws against them. Give me a freakin' break. Our legislators need to grow a set,

Old 02-11-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Anyone who buys a pet from an on-line breeder is out of their mind. I don't necessarily endorse government getting any deeper in our lives, but all of the backyard breeders we see advertised need to licensed and regulated by the NC Department of Agriculture. All of the cases of dog breeding farms reported in the news should be enough to get some reasonable laws passed whereby nasty facilities and abusive treatment of animals will become a thing of the past. Yet, it was the NC Pork Producers that fought to stop regulations on puppy farms. And, as a NRA member, I'm not at all happy that the NRA objected to the new regs because it would affect hunting dogs. Pork producers are afraid that PETA will use the new laws against them. Give me a freakin' break. Our legislators need to grow a set,
The issue is simple - TRUST. Most puppy mill legislation is backed by HSUS (Humane Society of the US not to be confused with the local humane society) and that rallies all the groups against any legislation even when it has nothing to do with them (like the Pork Industry)

The issue is that HSUS feel anyone who breeds a dog is a puppy mill - no they do not say it in their brochures but enough of their top people have been quoted as such so anytime they push legislation the AKC and the other principals step back and fight.

Case in point the HSUS is pushing a bill that says if you have 100 intact male and female dogs you should adhere to certain guidelines. The guidelines follow proper animal husbandry of a kennel. Sounds fine right?

Well they include co-owned dogs. BINGO thats the issue.

In my case I co own with a top AKC breeder who owns over 100 dogs. He is inspected annually and complies over and above proper animal husbandry standards. I do not. My dog lives in the house with me houses are not kennels.

In this guideline she should be penned up on concrete that I scrub daily and keep a log of in and excersised in a particular space. I would need to be inspected as well. I do not have a kennel - my dog sleeps on my BED. She is a pet first, a show dog next and down the list at number 586020 she is a breeding dog.

I do not maintain a kennel and my HOA would not allow me to build one! So I would be fined and could lose my dog - this is not the intent of the law but the way it is written it could happen. So the AKC is against it. As am I for obvious reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte