Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2006, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,137 times

Advertisements

Husband & I are relocating to Charlotte area in Jan. Found a couple of townhouses in Fort Mill/Indian Land area we are interested in. I will be working in Fort Mill on Stateview Blvd, my husband needs to commute to North Charlotte - Hutchinson McDonald Rd. His commute will be about 22 mi up I-77 from the area we are looking for home. I'm wondering what the rush hour is like - how long, etc., if he left home around 5:30 AM & began his return around 3:30 PM? Is there a better route? Also, is there a different area we should consider? We are active late 40's - early 50's, grown children (none at home), no pets, non-smoking. We're used to living in small community with lower crime in close proximity to metropolitan area. Initially looking to rent for year or two until we can decide on purchase. Husband wants me to be closest to work because my hours can be long, but I don't want him to have a horrible commute through downtown Charlotte every day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We don't know anyone in the area and I feel we are really flying blind trying to find the right area for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 04:51 PM

56 posts, read 224,207 times
Actually at those times of the day,he should be able to fly.The congestion doesn't start for an hour after either of those times. We live in Belmont,NC and I used to drive to Matthews every day.But later, and it was ugly then.But, with that kind of timing,he'll be fine

Old 01-03-2007, 02:51 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,321,543 times
Wow...his commute is going to be a DREAM at those times of day! I live in Fort Mill and work in downtown Charlotte and my commute averages 30 minutes during the heart of rush hour. So he'll easily get it done in 30 minutes to uptown.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:54 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,321,543 times
Also, stick with the York County side of Fort Mill, if only because the schools are slightly better. I know you don't have school-aged kids, but when you do buy a home - for resale purposes down the road it'll be invaluable.

And when you get to the area, feel free to PM me. We're relatively new to the area as well and it would be nice to make some friends here (I've made friends at work, but they all live in Charlotte).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte