Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 05:56 AM

114 posts, read 145,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Myers Park or Dilworth would be my top picks. They're also the prettiest and safest parts of the city. Location is super ideal as you're just south of the city and a short drive to surrounding towns. It has a quaint feel.

North of the city in towns like Huntersville, Davidson, Concord etc have a cancer cluster so I would personally avoid. Largest in the state I believe. It has spread to Statesville also. I'm not sure why people keep mentioning Gastonia to live. Its not a good area at all. I recently saw a woman who fell for a "joke" video someone posted showing Gastonia as looking like the Swiss Alps. She drove all the way from Florida to see it and got there and said and I quote "And then all of a sudden we get there, and it’s just rundown gas stations - like we had to go to the bathroom and there was no bathroom that worked in any of the gas stations". I have said from day one when I first moved to Charlotte that was exactly what I saw in Gastonia also. Realize that Charlotte is just urban sprawl. There is almost no distinction crossing from one town into the next as its most made up of strip mall after strip mall. The exception being you leave the city to go north or head towards Belmont. There are a lot of rough areas in between and so I would do TONS of research on the crime and where the areas are that you should avoid.

Fort Mill/Tega Cay currently have 3 class action lawsuits against New Indy Paper Mill for the horrenous pollution and poisoning. There are stories as recent as last month of people starting to move away. The mill releases hydrogen sulfide which causes horrific brain damage in children. People are also reporting dizziness, nose bleeds, chronic coughs, headaches etc. Anything 30 miles out from the plant is considered "the zone" and there are a slew of moms on my fb moms page who live in Waxhaw, Stallings, Marvin, Indian Land, Ballentyne, and even Matthews who have said they've smelled the plant at one point or another. We lived in Steele Creek right next to Fort Mill and you could smell it there. It smells like hot garbage and it will burn your nose and mouth. My daughter had 3 nose bleeds in the span of 2 months just before we left and she had never had them before in her life. Was it related? Maybe, I don't know for sure be we left Charlotte and weren't sticking around to find out. That was just us though. I will say though the smell is prevalent especially in summer when we can get haze and little breeze
Thank you! this is super helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyRocksNC View Post
Those areas have high performing public schools, are pretty upscale areas, very low crime rates, and in general the real estate prices are higher there than other areas of town (excluding Dilworth, Myers Park, Eastover)…so no, not cheaper, quite the opposite…those are just very desirable areas to be in. As others have said, Dilworth and Myers Park would fit the bill as well, but a million dollar budget is not very healthy for those two parts of town…it would work but that’s close to entry price for those two areas.
Thank you. Just to be clear, Dilworth and Myers park are more expensive than Weddington/Waxhaw/Marvin /Davidson/Cornelius?
Or are all pretty much at the same price point and with similar schools/amenities/overall environment?

Old 02-05-2022, 06:52 AM

335 posts, read 427,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloC View Post
Thank you. Just to be clear, Dilworth and Myers park are more expensive than Weddington/Waxhaw/Marvin /Davidson/Cornelius?
Or are all pretty much at the same price point and with similar schools/amenities/overall environment?
You can get into Weddington/Waxhaw/Marvin or into Davidson/Cornelius for under a million easily and still have a pretty nice home with a decent size lot. A million dollars in Dilworth or Myers Park will get you an older 1,800 square foot house on a quarter or a fifth of an acre. That’s the starting price right now for a single family home in Dilworth proper or Myers Park. I don’t have kids so I don’t need a big yard or amazing schools, so I would spend my million in Dilworth all day. It’s beautiful.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:15 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
Quote:
You can get into Weddington/Waxhaw/Marvin or into Davidson/Cornelius for under a million easily and still have a pretty nice home with a decent size lot. A million dollars in Dilworth or Myers Park will get you an older 1,800 square foot house on a quarter or a fifth of an acre. That’s the starting price right now for a single family home in Dilworth proper or Myers Park. I don’t have kids so I don’t need a big yard or amazing schools, so I would spend my million in Dilworth all day. It’s beautiful.

I haven't done the research, but I'd guess the Dilworth/Myers Park values are increasing faster than Weddington/Waxhaw/Marvin too.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I haven't done the research, but I'd guess the Dilworth/Myers Park values are increasing faster than Weddington/Waxhaw/Marvin too.
They are blowing up. Five years ago we toured homes in there around $600k. Similar listings are $1.2m today. The burbs are doing well but not quite as nutty as Dilworth and Myers Park. It’s ridiculous.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
They are blowing up. Five years ago we toured homes in there around $600k. Similar listings are $1.2m today. The burbs are doing well but not quite as nutty as Dilworth and Myers Park. It’s ridiculous.
Thank you! I see that those areas are very close to the city. What would be some good places to look at, but keeping ourselves no closer that 30 minutes/no farther than 1,15 hr from the city?
Which one would be the best locations to look at, using the same principle of looking at the most expensive areas?

Old 02-05-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I see that those areas are very close to the city. What would be some good places to look at, but keeping ourselves no closer that 30 minutes/no farther than 1,15 hr from the city?
Which one would be the best locations to look at, using the same principle of looking at the most expensive areas?
Personal opinion, if you don’t wanna be that close to the city but want to be within an hour or so, I’d say Weddington/Marvin/Waxhaw. Good schools, not too far away, very nice homes. Either there or Fort Mill. Good schools, a little more affordable, growing quickly.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:19 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,824 times
Quote:
Those areas have high performing public schools, are pretty upscale areas, very low crime rates, and in general the real estate prices are higher there than other areas of town (excluding Dilworth, Myers Park, Eastover)…so no, not cheaper, quite the opposite…those are just very desirable areas to be in. As others have said, Dilworth and Myers Park would fit the bill as well, but a million dollar budget is not very healthy for those two parts of town…it would work but that’s close to entry price for those two areas.
Quote:
That’s subjective. My husband worked 7 miles from his job (no highways just a straight shot) and it easily took him an hour + a day to get home. If it was raining or snowing then forget it. His longest is over 2 hours to get home. So I wouldn’t be measuring anything by time traveler because “30 minutes outside the city” can be 1 1/2 -2 hours if there’s accidents, bad weather, or just traffic

Old 02-06-2022, 05:31 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
Quote:
That’s subjective. My husband worked 7 miles from his job (no highways just a straight shot) and it easily took him an hour + a day to get home. If it was raining or snowing then forget it. His longest is over 2 hours to get home. So I wouldn’t be measuring anything by time traveler because “30 minutes outside the city” can be 1 1/2 -2 hours if there’s accidents, bad weather, or just traffic

That's true anywhere. Most people figure commute times by normal conditions, not occasional weather events.

About 5 or 6 years ago, we had a massive snow storm and it took me 2 hours to go less than 5 miles from a friends house to my house. (FYI: example of non-pertinent information to anyone).

For 20 years a family member commuted from a Union County address to uptown Charlotte (17 miles). It was an average 40-45 minute commute during rush hour over those 20 years, although it did take well over an hour occasionally based on accidents or extreme weather events. One time the car battery was dead and it took 3 hours to finally get home.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:32 AM

Quote:
I work from home, have no commute. Other than going to the airport every other week for business trips.
If I had to translate what I meant with 1 hr into miles, I’d say no less than 30-40 miles from the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte