Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:06 PM

17 posts, read 79,045 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am in North Carolina, job hunting, and I just got a phone call today to come down to the county office to test for a job for which I'd applied -- Dept. of Social Services, Income Maintenance Caseworker II. I am trying, at age 46, to jump into Human Services from a background as a high school English teacher and 20+ years in healthcare administrative assistance and medical transcription.

So, what is this? A civil service exam? I am not trying to find out specific questions -- I'm not bumming a crib sheet -- I just want to get into the ballpark of what to expect. Is it verbal and math, like an SAT? Is/are there essay/s??? Take #2 pencils, a pen, both? May I use a caluclator? How long does it take?

Does anyone know anything about this? The job itself has to do with verifying people's income and determining their eligibility for assistance from the Food and Nutrition Program (food stamps?) Anybody got a clue here so I can be somewhat prepared as far expectations? THANKS SO MUCH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 03:20 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,781,712 times
I was an Income Maintenance Caseworker in NY for the Medicaid program. Our civil service exam was all multiple choice. I was lucky, I was hired conditionally and was able to work in the position for a short time before taking the exam. It has been 18 years since I took the exam and it was in another state. There were also workbooks available in the office for me to study from. I may find myself taking the exam after I move down that way too. Good luck I am sure you will do fine. Let us know how you make out.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:07 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I have taken a civil service exam for the PD in Miami..If its along the same lines, they are just looking to verify you have a brain. It's basic math, english, grammar, etc. It should be very easy and very 9th gradeish..(If thats a word,LOL)

Old 05-31-2008, 05:22 PM

17 posts, read 79,045 times
Default How I Did!

Well, it was yesterday -- I had taken a couple of math and reading comperhension practice tests on the internet just to study up and get in the groove. I made a 90 on math and an 88, respectively! First time I have EVER scored higher in math. But... those were just the practice tests!

The actual test was 1 hour long with 28 questions, all multiple choice. There was an accordian-style room divider and a LOUD orientation going on in the next room. That still kind of miffs me. Anyway, it was HARD !!! It was all "word problems" involving income maintenance (for food stamps) policy, with which I was completely unfamiliar! They gave me everything I needed to know in the body of the word problem, but if I had had longer to find an appropriate study guide on North Carolina food stamp policy, I'd have been much better off.

I was the last one to leave (we were a testing group of about 20) and told the proctor how worried I was that I had not tested well. She told me I could call her later that afternoon, and she would tell me how I did (whew... no waiting all weekend). I nearly died of shock when she told me I had done well... really well... TOP SCORE IN THE GROUP, IN FACT... with an 87 (remember, EACH question was worth between 3-4 points.)

The last four I did not even get to, but we were told negative answers didn't count against us, so when she called time, I rapid-fire put "B" for all four of them... feeling like there had not been an abundance of "B"s. Turns out I got 2 of those 4 blind guesses correct! Further up in the test, I had 2 I'd abandoned to go back to later... for #12 I put "C" at the last minute, which had been my educated guess when I had abandoned it, and for #14 another "C" for good measure, since time was up and I didn't even have a guess on that one. My "C" guess for #12 turned out to be correct... and again, 2 of the last 4 blind guesses were correct... so that was 3 out 6 "guessed" questions which I got correct!

Again I will say it was HARD! Given more time, I feel I would've done better. I was so frustrated, especially with the noise, that I very nearly walked out once or twice, but I kept plugging away. I imagine if I get the job, it will be noisy around there anyway, so I'd better get used to it. The proctor told me with that score, I was sure to proceed with the next step, the interview, and I am very comfortable with those (unlike many folks!). I am just feeling so blessed to have done so well. To feel one has blown it badly, then to find out one had the highest score in the group... there are things right up there with that, I'm sure, but it pretty well made my day yesterday. My recommendation to anyone taking a similar test is to get a highly specific study guide! And then taking ear plugs to the test, which the proctor told me would have been just fine!

Old 06-01-2008, 06:36 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
Which county did you test in? Was it Mecklenburg or one of the surrounding counties? I wonder if they all do the same test.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:50 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,781,712 times
Congrats! Good luck on your interview!

Old 09-21-2008, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 12,473 times
Default Income Maintenance Case Worker Position

I applied for a job as Income Maintenance Case Worker and have to take an exam this week. I freeze up when taking tests and would just like a general idea of what to expect math..(what type of math) english...ect. I have not used fractions in ages.. I would appreciate any advise!!!

Old 06-12-2019, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,341 times
Hello Can someone help me out please I'm in NC and I'm trying to take the Civil Service Test I'm in Fayetteville NC
can't find a Testing location. I'm new here
Thank you

Old 06-12-2019, 03:45 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwesley53 View Post
Hello Can someone help me out please I'm in NC and I'm trying to take the Civil Service Test I'm in Fayetteville NC
can't find a Testing location. I'm new here
Thank you
The federal government uses a regular application and resume process for hiring. If you make the initial cut, they'll contact you with information on interviewing and any testing that might be required. Find jobs here:

https://www.usajobs.gov/

Old 06-13-2019, 04:04 PM

334 posts, read 290,416 times
Forget the test. You'll probably pass it with flying colors. My advice: take a walk around the government building and the Hal Marshal Center and ask yourself what you have in common with the people you see working there. That's the test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte