Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 06:04 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,709,093 times

Advertisements

Perhaps all those that come on board bit*&^ingand moa(*&^ing failed reading comp 101. Did you pass by THE VERY FIRST THREAD called... sticky?? Well I challenge those very same people to tell me how many of those events and happenings you attended in the first 13 days of July.

And all this business about New Yorkers and Broadway--Born and raised here and go to many events--BUT how many people that lived on Long Island (C CLT)attended Broadway shows, Lincoln Center, The Met, The Metropolitan, MOMA, etc while you lived here? Be honest. I bet very few.

As far as acceptance of racial mix...where do we want to begin concerning transplants from NY? I can't begin to tell you the acceptance rate (how high it is in CLT) compared to the suburban communities of Long Island.
Any comments??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 07:07 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Hey now Pineville has a dinner theater.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:31 PM

645 posts, read 909,955 times
Is this post about culture, or bashing NYers?

Old 07-13-2008, 08:11 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,867,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie1964 View Post
I would think once you've left NY and moved here, you become a Carolinian, so who cares? (I'm a reformed NY'er, so I'm allowed to say that).

Old 07-13-2008, 08:54 PM

228 posts, read 910,968 times
I was wondering the same thing Barb..

Old 07-14-2008, 03:21 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,709,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie1964 View Post
Anyway you might interpet it. For example if you think "bashing" is saying-Ex NYers didn't go to cultural events while on Long Island and then complain "there is a void of culture in CLT"....you're correct. Now if you say the "sticky" at the top of the CLT forum lists many events that perhaps ex NYers have overlooked you are correct again.And if you think I'm "bashing" NYers because they don't go to cultural events....wrong. Couldn't care less.

Hope this lil bit of info clears any questions you might have had on the subject.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:25 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
John, it may put things in more perspective if you revealed you are a NY'er yourself, and have discovered the CLT area . . . and feel that- in comparison to other cities its size - the region has a lot going for it. I think it changes the perspective when someone asks questions of those who have relocated from the same area!!!!

I love to go to NYC to get my dose of opera, broadway plays, MOMA, Guggenheim, etc. I don't expect that level of entertainment/culture to be ANYWHERE else outside NYC, other than international destinations. Other large cities have other types of things to offer, and I also enjoy visiting CHI, ATL, LA, SF, etc . . . to take in the cultural opps in those places. Anyone moving from a huge international city sounds pretty silly if they are complaining about what is available here . . . cause there really is no comparison. However, different can be good and different can be fun!!!!

I agree w/ your premise - anyone who moves here and can't find things to do . . . well . . . they are not looking. And anyone moving from a huge megalopolis and comparing CLT to their former home (Miami, for example) . . . just not a valid complaint. Now, those who move here and want to contribute to our arts and entertainment - thru/ attendance or thru/ volunteering and/or underwriting budgets . . . that shows some conviction about helping cultural activities here grow and remain sustainable.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the subject.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:16 AM

85 posts, read 193,856 times
just a funny side note. i wandered onto the atlanta forum yesterday and the negative things people say about atlanta is almost exactly what they say about charlotte. no culture, boring, mesh of transplants, etc. just goes to show that we may see a city like that as cultured but many of the people living there do not. sometimes you dont know how good you have it in a city until you go somewhere else.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:38 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,900,464 times
Americans love to ***** and complain. I don't care where you, if are it isn't home, the average American is going to ***** and moan. It is all Americans, not southerners or northerners, but Americans from every corner. Americans look for any little thing that isn't like it is at home and focus in on it. All the years I lived in London I constantly listened to American tourists ***** and complain just like people do in Charlotte, ie. our bagels suck, can't get good pizza. For Christ sake, I remember years ago Americans complaining because it was so hard to find a McDonalds in London. They complained about the roads, the food, the crowded buses and tubes, the cost of going to the theater, the warm beer,the weirdos............ No wonder people think that Americans are idiots. When will Americans become smart enough to realize that if they have moved to a place by choice, they seem idiotic if they continuously complain and stay. If you live in Charlotte, you should like it. If you don't, you should move or people like me will think that you're stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte