Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 09:16 PM

54 posts, read 226,517 times

Advertisements

Hello!! My husband and I are moving to Charlotte in about a month and only had a 3 day weekend to visit and check things out. I was wondering if anybody has any information at all about the Harris BLVD area, (or WT harris or whatever it's called) ?? Is it safe? good place to live? I'm talking about where Macaroni Grill is located.. and then there's that big shopping center with the boardwalk that goes all the way around the lake, and there's a WALMART in red letters.. yeah, that area!! And does anyone have any information on the apartments at lake radbourne?? (Recent information, since new management has taken over within the last 5 or 6 months.. so complaints from years ago don't matter) They are right in that area and we liked them a lot. Even after looking at the "prestigious" ballantyne area, we still kinda liked the north part of charlotte over the south.. but then again this was only after 3 days of hunting. Any info would be great, thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 10:34 PM

77 posts, read 217,553 times
WT Harris... kinda of OK, depending which area of WT.

Northlake area is experiencing the initial growth trend.

For a home, look in the area between the "V" of I-77 and I-85

Old 06-09-2008, 05:40 AM

327 posts, read 1,198,065 times
You'll probably want to stay on the north side of Harris and west of I-85. I too prefer North Charlotte/University area. If you're looking for an apartment, I advise that you steer clear of anything within close proximity to the University, as they are rented to college kids most of the year. If you're moving down before classes begin in the fall, you may not realize that until it's too late.

There has been a bump in crime in and around the University, but I still don't think its a bad area. You just have to be a little more aware of your surroundings. Charlotte is a city and crime is just about everywhere.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:44 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times
I live in the area. Love it. If you are looking for an appt, I would agree with other posters to stay between 85 and 77.

If you are looking for houses, let us know and I'll send more info. The only problem I see with the Radbourne apts is access from Harris. Traffic moves fast and I always have to go around when I visit that post office. There are nice apts on Mallard Creek also.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:15 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,302 times
While in University City...you want to be WEST of I-85 and NORTH of Harris Blvd. That is the better are of University City. Harris Blvd between I-85 & I-77 is totally fine.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:25 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,734 times
The other area to consider in UC is the area outside of loop 485, going toward Harrisburg. There are several nice apartment communities in this area, and they appeared (when we lived there) to be far enough away from the college that they were more working class folks. My biggest advice- avoid the Walmart you saw like the plague!!!! The lines are ALWAY atrocious, and the employees are terrible! IMHO it is far more worth it to drive to the supercenter in either Concord or Kannapolis.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:36 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,302 times
Also Huntersville, NC is very close to University City and you have several ways to get there other than I-77.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:27 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
My biggest advice- avoid the Walmart you saw like the plague!!!!
No one goes to that Walmart.
There is on on Mt Holly/Huntersville Road that is much better. ;-)

Old 06-09-2008, 08:33 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,809,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Also Huntersville, NC is very close to University City and you have several ways to get there other than I-77.
Sorry 704, I apologize if I'm being pedantic here, but I wouldn't say that Huntersville was very close to University City - it's at least 10 miles away - it might just be a tad misleading to an out-of-towner.

Agree with most peoples sentiments here that staying north of Harris Blvd is important....and the further north the better.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:50 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,669,047 times
SunnieD27, what exactly are you looking for in a location? IMO, there are far more desirable places (and much safer) than UC.

If you have no need to be in that area for school or work, I would suggest Huntersville/Cornelius. If you like the shopping center at UC and that is the only thing drawing you to that area, I highly suggest checking out Birkdale off of exit 25 (I-77). Safety is a non issue, shops are MUCH nicer, traffic is much less, restaurants are better quality, no college crowd, greener landscaping, excellent nightlife (comparatively), and of course and best of all-live at the lake!

Not sure what your budget is, but rents are pretty cheap up here and you can find a nice place on the water for a 2br for under $1000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte