Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:48 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,784,218 times

Advertisements

I have heard of a problem here in NJ with discount companies. Where the discount companies sign on commission is 3% with 1.5% to selling agency and 1.5% to listing agency. Where the problem comes in is that the other full service companies who usually recieve 5%-6% with a 2%-3% split were trying to only give discount companies the 1.5% which is all they were giving to the full service company. The full service companies felt it only fair since they were providing more service. In the end that was not acceptible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 09:59 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,059,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
All the dollars and cents aside, is your goal to sell your house as quickly as possible? You are spending money every month on a mortgage . . . plus the aggravation of having to keep your house "showing ready" at all times.

I would go for the method that would be most likely to guarantee me a quick sale so I could move on w/ my plans.

Not to be harsh here, but just to be matter-of-fact: Your neighbor's house has not sold, either, so maybe lowering your price $20,000 is not helping. Maybe your neighbor's house is $40,000 over priced. See what I mean?
Yes, I see which brings us back to the original OP. Price or too much inventory. I've reduced my price lower than all my comps (in other neighborhoods too), but there's a whole lot of inventory.

Thankfully, we're not in a race to sell because I haven't bought anything else and paying 2 mortgages or anything like that, so I'm one of the luckier sellers, but my realtor seems to think that buyers will be making up their minds and home sales will creep up further into the summer as schools come back in session.

I hope he's right.

Thank you both for your advice.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:09 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Yeah - it is a real conundrum trying to figure out what to do in this market!!!

I am so relieved to hear you are not paying 2 mortgages. Whew.

You have done your research and gotten your comps. I would keep my house on the market where it is . . . and then in 30 days or so . . . run new comps to see what houses are selling for NOW. Keep your finger on the pulse!!!

Traditionally, the last six weeks of summer are hot for sales, as people are trying to get here and grab up a home in the right school district . . . b/f school starts. Now - who knows. Maybe people are saying - I don't trust this market and so I am going to rent for a while. Who knows?

I do know - your house can't be sold if it is not on the market, Hee Hee, so I would definitely keep it on the market . . . and see if things pick up in the coming weeks.

I surely wish you the best of luck w/ reaching your goal!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:49 AM

40 posts, read 88,947 times
I'm trying to find a house to buy and having a difficult time. I'm looking only at ranches so that narrows available properties quite a bit.

But I am really surprised at the condition of some of the houses that I have seen. Dirty carpet, walls and bathrooms. Some of them have clutter everywhere. I saw one house where a dog had eaten the baseboards.

I don't expect each house I see to be in pristine condition and I know it is difficult when there are small children, but they really need to get a clue. I know they loved the red carpet and the purple walls, but I don't.

I've sold my houses in the past and it is a pain, but it really doesn't take much to hire a housekeeper, put things away in storage and paint a neutral color.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwh1961 View Post
I'm trying to find a house to buy and having a difficult time. I'm looking only at ranches so that narrows available properties quite a bit.

But I am really surprised at the condition of some of the houses that I have seen. Dirty carpet, walls and bathrooms. Some of them have clutter everywhere. I saw one house where a dog had eaten the baseboards.

I don't expect each house I see to be in pristine condition and I know it is difficult when there are small children, but they really need to get a clue. I know they loved the red carpet and the purple walls, but I don't.

I've sold my houses in the past and it is a pain, but it really doesn't take much to hire a housekeeper, put things away in storage and paint a neutral color.
What price range are you looking for - and are you actually looking IN Charlotte?????

Old 06-17-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What price range are you looking for - and are you actually looking IN Charlotte?????
I'm really not tied to one area at this point. I work near downtown so I don't want to be too far away. I've been looking at houses in the Matthews/Sardis Road area and I'm trying to stay under $250k.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:33 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,842 times
You would have a great selection up here on the North End.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I'm really not tied to one area at this point. I work near downtown so I don't want to be too far away. I've been looking at houses in the Matthews/Sardis Road area and I'm trying to stay under $250k.
I am so surprised to hear things are nasty in those neighborhoods!!! ICCCKK! I will DM you.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
You would have a great selection up here on the North End.

I'm pretty new to Charlotte. So where is the North End exactly? lol

Old 06-17-2008, 11:45 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
I'm pretty new to Charlotte. So where is the North End exactly? lol
I think he means the north end of the county Places like Davidson, Huntersville, Cornelius - all really nice areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte