Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2008, 10:31 AM

81 posts, read 182,793 times

Advertisements

We have three dogs and are looking for a good place to board them near Waxhaw. They are medium to large size dogs.

We would also consider a dog sitter to come over and let our dogs out, feed them, etc... As long as we got good recommendations and references.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 08-23-2008, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 8,930 times
We've used Waxhaw Animal Hospital on a few occasions and have been pleased.

Home Page Waxhaw Animal Hospital

Old 08-24-2008, 09:11 AM

518 posts, read 2,061,813 times
Pet sitters are very expensive, I've heard as much has $30 a day. We have two dogs and a doggie door. If you have a fenced in back yard the doggie door is the greatest thing. I've never had a "wild" animal come in through it. We even had a friends dog here and he didn't know what to make of it, couldn't figure out what my dogs were doing. If you have a neighbor (adult or older child), that could just feed them and make sure they have water, it would be alot cheaper. The doggie door we have is a panel that is in our slider back door. It did cost $100 dollars, we've had it 6 years, and have had to replace the flap once (probably will have to do again by the end of the winter), they do warp. There are many varities (size, installed in door, etc...) PetSmart, PetCo all have them. Well worth the investment. Plus the dogs are in their home, and it's a good burgler deterent.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:35 PM

852 posts, read 2,469,043 times
I just saw nanas pet sitting car in our neighborhood. Same url.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:10 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Boarding 3 dogs is likely going to run more than the pet sitter, esp if they are medium to large dogs. On the York Lancaster forum there was a discusison about pet sitters - I had remembered a certified service with bonded sitters and someone found the link.

A sad story here in Utah was a family who left their dog in the back yard with a neighbor coming over to take care of him. Someone broke in and beat the poor thing nearly to death, all 13 lbs of him. He had a fractured skull and it was tounch-and-go for a while. He's home now.

At least in that instance, boarding would have been safer. I have always had pet sitters, for the last 30 yrs., and never had a problem, but I have always had large dogs. Most vet techs do pet sitting - call your vet's office and ask. Once it was the president of the local humane society who was a pet sitter. Ask around and good luck!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-24-2008 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: tyupo

Old 08-24-2008, 07:55 PM

533 posts, read 1,834,748 times
i HIGHLY recommend using gopherdogs for pet sitting. Welcome to Gopher Dogs Online we have used them several times and we are always happy. they have a doggy diary we can log into online while we are away and get daily updates and pictures of our dog! we love it.

edited to add that we switched to pet sitting after having our dog boarded at waxhaw animal hospital for 2 days and she came home ANGRY with us for days to come. it took her a while to be her old self again.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:45 PM

51 posts, read 167,374 times
I second the gopher dogs suggestion. I just used them for the first time a couple of weeks ago (i would never board my children, i mean dogs) and thought they were great. They come and meet your dogs before so they are used to your sitter. I did the basic package and only spent $45 for 3 visits. Using them again this weekend in fact! Good luck!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:46 PM

81 posts, read 182,793 times
We ended up using Gopher Dogs and were extremely pleased with them. We will use them again next time and would suggest anyone needing this kind of service to use them.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:20 PM

810 posts, read 2,293,241 times
You can try K-9Z to 5. He is a dog trainer that also does boarding. Haven't used him for boarding yet, but that is who we are going to use next time. I believe its $25 per night, bring your own crate, proof of vac, etc.

Larry is a great guy and amazing with dogs, he came to our house to train ours. He had also mentioned he works with a dog groomer thats lives close. He will bring the dog over and you can pick him/her up at the groomers when you come home, groomed and smelling fresh. 704-843-6817 if you call him, tell him the folks that own Pius told you about him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: