Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:40 AM

286 posts, read 1,045,613 times

Advertisements

We recently had our home walk through and for the most part, things looked great!!! However, one thing was out of wack.

They placed the washing machine drain pan and drain pipe on the right side of the laundry closet!!! And we got front loaders so the doors open up and block each other (they open up towards each other rather than away from each other so in order to move clothes you have to go over or under the doors.)

Why they decided to do this, I can't figure out. It was obviously an over site. Who puts the washer on the right side of the dryer??? Our PM said they wouldn't be able to fix the laundry issue but I'm going to talk to him again about it. At the time I didn't realize the doors were opening the way they are because the units are placed in reverse order.

Has anyone else had this issue before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 12:13 PM

797 posts, read 3,295,817 times
My past 2 houses had the washer on the right side of the dryer and they were houses only a few years old. But we don't have front load.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:59 PM

743 posts, read 2,243,469 times
I have the same problem and just bought my house Nov 2006. I have front loaders and just found out Whirlpool makes a kit where you can change the dryer door from the right side to the left side.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:57 PM

I see the dryer door can be reversed but the washer can't. I think it's because if you stack them you can have the doors open from the same direction. The fact that you both have had the same issue makes me feel better. = )

Old 07-19-2008, 04:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
And when you get new machines down the road, measure to make sure they open with your laundry doors. You would think that appliances are standard sizes, but my mother had a problem when she replaced her dryer, it was bigger than the old one and the door wouldn't open all the way.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:33 PM

367 posts, read 1,029,368 times
I don't know what brand frontloader you have, but our LGs you can change the doors to swing open to the left, or right. You just remove the bolt and turn the things upside down and bolt it to the other side. Check your manual to see if you can do this with yours.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:02 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlikemethodz View Post
We recently had our home walk through and for the most part, things looked great!!! However, one thing was out of wack.

They placed the washing machine drain pan and drain pipe on the right side of the laundry closet!!! And we got front loaders so the doors open up and block each other (they open up towards each other rather than away from each other so in order to move clothes you have to go over or under the doors.)

Why they decided to do this, I can't figure out. It was obviously an over site. Who puts the washer on the right side of the dryer??? Our PM said they wouldn't be able to fix the laundry issue but I'm going to talk to him again about it. At the time I didn't realize the doors were opening the way they are because the units are placed in reverse order.

Has anyone else had this issue before?
If the plans you reviewed when you bought showed the washer hookup on the left and the dryer on the right - then that is what you paid for. If they switched any design aspects on you without your consent, they are entitled to make it the way you bought it. Did you discuss this with your realtor?

Old 07-21-2008, 04:58 AM

850 posts, read 2,650,980 times
I have owned 3 new houses over the last 6 years and all of the washers are on the right side.
I just reversed the doors so they swing away...

Old 07-21-2008, 09:18 AM

285 posts, read 1,072,131 times
Same here, washer is on right. In my other home with my front loaders, you can make the doors swing left or right.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:15 AM

I just called GE and their washers don't reverse. I also looked at the diagrams the builder has on their websites. They are different on their two websites (W,D then D,W). So I looked at a copy of the blueprints I got from someone and they are listed as (D,W). Oh well. 2 out of 3 wins so I guess I lose. = )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte