Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:22 AM

9 posts, read 23,037 times

Advertisements

Charlotte is very devoid of vagrants. When I occasionally see a couple of them Uptown, and it's very rare, they are being roughed up by the multitude of short, angry police officers on segway, bike etc. Any attorneys here or others versed in the law that can give me a quick rundown on the ordinances in play here or at least the institutional culture that makes Charlotte the hostile-to-homeless city it is? Anyone ever try to challenge the enforcement of these ordinances?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Ill make an effort to show you ordinances once you can actually prove to the allege claim you are making.

In my experience I do not see CMPD doing this in fact I often tipped this homeless guy wheeling himself around in a hospital gurney beside the big disc at city center.
It is what makes uptown great it is a cutural melting pot of difference races and economical backgrounds.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Ill make an effort to show you ordinances once you can actually prove to the allege claim you are making.

In my experience I do not see CMPD doing this in fact I often tipped this homeless guy wheeling himself around in a hospital gurney beside the big disc at city center.
It is what makes uptown great it is a cutural melting pot of difference races and economical backgrounds.

I'm sure the ordinances are out there. They are there in every city and usually very questionable. Enforcement is totally political. I'm just wondering how it goes down here. You can't tell me that there's many homeless in downtown Charlotte. I'm there 24 hrs a day. And yes, Italian, angry Bike Cop who's always around I saw literally kicking this mentally ill, possibly passed out homeless dude I saw at Church and 5th just yesterday. He was screaming at him then did his little cop attack takedown move on the dude who was prone and out of it.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:37 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,318,524 times
I thought we gave them all free movie tickets?

Seriously though, for about a decade, every time I saw a homeless with a sign around Matthews I stopped.
I gave them a business card, and told them I could give them a job for 45-60 hours per week.

I quit offering since no one ever took me up on the offer.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I thought we gave them all free movie tickets?
That's really funny. No one likes the homeless that's true. We should abuse them, take away their rights, and contribute to them multiplying in number through institutional abuse right?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:41 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,318,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigmash View Post
That's really funny. No one likes the homeless that's true. We should abuse them, take away their rights, and contribute to them multiplying in number through institutional abuse right?
I was joking since that was actually in the plans for one of the upcoming political conventions.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I was joking since that was actually in the plans for one of the upcoming political conventions.

LOL. Which one?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:43 AM

509 posts, read 1,803,540 times
I don't know anything about the ordinances, etc.

But the homeless population tends to gather on the north side of uptown, around 10th and Tryon, and under the underpass going beneath the Brookshire. I know, because I drive by sometimes dozens on my way home.

And for what it's worth, they don't bother me a bit. Some are clearly mentally ill. Others, who knows.

I have yet to see much interaction between cops and the homeless, so can't comment there.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:46 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,502,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigmash View Post
Charlotte is very devoid of vagrants.....
apparently you haven't met my neighbors.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlTravels View Post
I don't know anything about the ordinances, etc.

But the homeless population tends to gather on the north side of uptown, around 10th and Tryon, and under the underpass going beneath the Brookshire. I know, because I drive by sometimes dozens on my way home.

And for what it's worth, they don't bother me a bit. Some are clearly mentally ill. Others, who knows.

I have yet to see much interaction between cops and the homeless, so can't comment there.
True, I've seen them up there to be certain. I'm thinking more of the central Uptown area though were there are actually lots of people living and working and thus the enforcement is heavily ramped up.

I was just wondering how strict the ordinances were here. Are they getting busted on loitering charges? Some special sleeping/pand-handling statute? Either way, I just fear that apathy towards the issue here allows the problem to get swept under the rug and makes them target practice for the angry, bored, aggressive cops that unfortunately make up at least a fraction of CPD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte