Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:34 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
Prosecuting victimless crimes such as prostitution when the "perps" are caught red handed is enough of a waste of resources as it is ... but when a police department does a "sting" operation such as this, it brings it to a whole new level.

How many tax dollars were flushed down the toilet to acquire the vehicles used in this operation? How much overtime is used up doing the paperwork required when multiple "offenders" are brought in all at once (especially in a small department like Gastonia's)? How much valuable time is wasted in the court system to prosecute these women? How many crimes that involve actual victims (whether they be violent crimes or property crimes) are put aside for these publicity stunts.

Oh, and make no mistake about it, this is a publicity stunt. No amount of arrests and fines will end prostitution. It will move to another area for a little while, if a certain area is considered "hot", but it will still exist. So unlike working on crimes that have victims, where there is a possibility of preventing future harm to others by at least temporarily removing a victimizer from the public, this grabs headlines for the Gastonia PD (which really needs some good publicity) but does nothing to make anyone's life or property safer.

You can never legislate morality or clean living and expect to succeed. When are we, as a society, going to learn that?
I agree.

I've been doing genealogy online for several years with someone who is a life-time resident of that general area out there. I've been told about how up to & including people who are now in their 40s & 50s, poor people pulled kids out of school & sent them to the mills, & "married off" little girls.

I've been told, also, that as the mills were closing down & people were being offered retraining, most of the people who had less than high school educations weren't really offered options that were not humiliating.

As I said in a previous post, those women don't realy have that hardcore "skanky ho" look. They do look beat-down & working class.

It would seem to me that it woud be more cost-effective to setup an educational program that would allow them to keep some dignity & work their way back into society in a positive way. Plastering their pictures all over is not helping them to get a real job.

Last edited by southbound_295; 07-28-2008 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:38 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
.......It is possible that if the wives of the men in the bar would make themselves presentable, they wouldn't have to look at others? Looking never hurt anybody. .
I find this statement insulting to women. You don't know what the wives look like. Kobe Bryant (or however his name is spelled) had a beautiful wife, as do many of the famous men who have been caught cheating. Going to prostitutes and strip bars has nothing to do with the wife and EVERYTHING to do with the man's psychological make-up.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:45 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,103 times
As a Gaston Co. resident, I'm disgusted by these women! The area they were arrested in is big for drugs and the mug shots pretty much confirm that. I understand why some men use prostitutes (don't agree but I do understand) BUT why would any man go to someone who looked like one of these people????? If my husband is going to cheat, he better make sure it's worth it b/c he won't be getting me again any time soon If I ever found out anyone like this even gave him mouth service (as someone said earlier), he wouldn't touch me without a full STD screen. I'd love to actually hear from someone who has used a prostitute and not a massage service. I just don't get paying for it when there are plenty of people who'll give it up for free?????

Old 07-28-2008, 10:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Well . . . nice that someone was wiling to admit a penchant for massage parlors, since obviously someone is using them.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
As a Gaston Co. resident, I'm disgusted by these women! The area they were arrested in is big for drugs and the mug shots pretty much confirm that. I understand why some men use prostitutes (don't agree but I do understand) BUT why would any man go to someone who looked like one of these people????? If my husband is going to cheat, he better make sure it's worth it b/c he won't be getting me again any time soon If I ever found out anyone like this even gave him mouth service (as someone said earlier), he wouldn't touch me without a full STD screen. I'd love to actually hear from someone who has used a prostitute and not a massage service. I just don't get paying for it when there are plenty of people who'll give it up for free?????
Several of our posters have mentioned that . . . but I guess some guys like sneaking around or are into engaging in high risk behavior. And maybe some just want anonymous sex. Maybe paying for a "service" makes guys feel good about being in control. Who knows?

I feel sad for the women. They do look beaten down. The only people profiting from prostitution are the pimps. They are the ones who should be hauled off to jail.

But as I said earlier . . . someone is out there paying these women or prostitution would not exist.

And as LAMF said . . . looks like a publicity stunt to me . . . cause really . . . which would Jane and John Q. Public really prefer their law enforcement were spending resources on . . . A. picking up hookers or B. picking up thugs.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:12 AM

237 posts, read 298,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I agree, Ani, the pimps & the johns should be treated the same. Showing the johns is a relatively new practice. I remember a furor in this area when, in the early '70s a local station sent Jessica Savitch out with the vice squad & you could see 1 or 2 johns. Technology being what it was, they were not identifiable, but it created quite a stink.

I noticed the ages of those women. Those women could be displaced workers from mill closings.

there are no johns , because evidently, they were caught "soliciting", not in the performance .

Old 07-28-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jizzmore View Post
I'm thinking about moving nearby. Any suggestions?

Yes, I have a suggestion. Find another forum more compatible w/ your sense of humor.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:05 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I find this statement insulting to women. You don't know what the wives look like. Kobe Bryant (or however his name is spelled) had a beautiful wife, as do many of the famous men who have been caught cheating. Going to prostitutes and strip bars has nothing to do with the wife and EVERYTHING to do with the man's psychological make-up.
First, I wasn't refering to prostitutes. I was responding to comments about topless bars. Secondly, I said, "It is possible". So your comment about my comments being "insulting to women" might be a bit overstated?
I don't see what Bobe Bryant had to do with anything I mentioned. He allegedly raped some **** that went to his hotel room with him. I don't see halos around either head. I am curious. Are you concerned about the fact that prostitution is illegal or the soul of the sinner that participates?

Old 07-28-2008, 01:07 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jizzmore View Post
There is something going on in this young country called America. I blame it on the ultra high stress levels. When i'm ready to flip out and physically want to punch the living daylights out of some dumb non educated lowlife., nothing does my body good than having a nice backrub massage by a nice attractive lady who knows how to do it.

I never get treated this way from my wife, she would never make me dinner let alone massage me. She justs tells me her problems,asks me for money and goes about her business. I can see why prostitution is a huge business. Most every guy I know wishes he never did it and stayed single enjoying the thousands of young flirtacious honies that live amonst him.

Massage parlors are a much needed venue to keep the males from becomming out of control. Women scoff at sexual relations, men genetically need it.Especially here in America where you pay no matter what anyway. It's a fact.

Just curious, don't you ever want to punch an "educated" lowlife? I sometimes do.

P.S. Pretty easy to see that you are back to annoy once again. Easy to detect.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:11 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Asheville does a "John bust" from time to time and usually catch them a 'preacher' from an outlaying county in the process
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte