Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 07:47 PM

6 posts, read 25,950 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to the Charlotte area in a few months and are currently looking for property. We would like to live outside Charlotte but within a 40 minute commute.
We are considering Belmont and Mt Holly. We are looking for a smaller friendly community with great schools and all the benefits of a city without the crowds/pollution/traffic... impossible?
If anyone could give us some feedback on these areas or suggest any other areas that they think would fit the bill we would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.
M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 07:49 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,836,683 times
Its a nice area. Have you thought about possibly Concord?

Old 01-24-2007, 10:57 PM

549 posts, read 2,385,215 times
Belmont is nice and has apreciated nicely over the years. Being close to charlotte makes is desirable for builders to make new subdivisions. For example when Hawthrone opened in the summer of 2005 there all brick homes were about 250k and now they sell for 430k. They only have 3 homes left. I think they sold fast since a realtor told me the avarage span of a subdivision if about 3-years.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:51 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,909,145 times
Both towns are very nice and would recommend them. I was raised in Gaston County and lived in Belmont in the early/mid 1990's. VERY nice, well-kept town.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:02 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,150,549 times
Default Smaller communities around Charlotte

Do you have a preference which side of Charlotte? To the south there is Matthews, Waxhaw, Weddington, or even Fort Mill, SC. To the west is Belmont, Cramerton. People complain about traffic problem north of Charlotte around Huntersville/Lake Norman.

Areas south seem to be nice.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:48 AM

6 posts, read 25,950 times
Default Thanks for the feedback!

We are leaning toward the western side of Charlotte as we are both very active and are looking forward to easy access to the mountains. The Whitewater Centre looks fantastic and will definitely be something we try. There is also a decent amount of mountain biking in the area apparently so that should keep the cobwebs off our bikes.

Any ideas with regards to crime rates? Any safety issues? Any 'no-go' areas?

M

Old 01-25-2007, 07:24 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,909,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madi View Post
We are leaning toward the western side of Charlotte as we are both very active and are looking forward to easy access to the mountains. The Whitewater Centre looks fantastic and will definitely be something we try. There is also a decent amount of mountain biking in the area apparently so that should keep the cobwebs off our bikes.

M
When we lived in Belmont, it was extremely safe. We loved it! It's the easiest commute into Charlotte as well. I know Union County and Cabarrus County (where I now live) are the "hot" areas right now. But Belmont/Mt. Holly/Cramerton are real hidden gems! I like it here in Concord, but if it wasn't for my wife's job being here, I'd move back to Blemont in a heartbeat. It'll may be something we'll do in the future.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:42 AM

259 posts, read 1,182,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madi View Post

M
Crime is low in both areas. I live in Mt. Holly and am familiar with Belmont as well, I dont think there are any areas I would be scared to walk through even at night. There are certainly some slightly run down looking parts of both towns but any "bad" areas that may exist are maybe a block or two.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:55 AM

549 posts, read 2,385,215 times
FromCenFL
I saw that close by the Concord Mills Mall there is a new master-planned community called "Christenbury'. It will have an English Aristocrat look with the crests.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:10 PM

7 posts, read 22,270 times
Hi Madi!
My family and I will be moving to Mt. Holly within the next few months and we are in love with the town and neighbors! The people that we have met so far have been friendly and inviting - which put me at ease! We also visited the elementary school that our son will go to in the fall and he liked it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte