Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,397 times

Advertisements

HI,
If any one can give us info we would appreciate it greatly. We are looking to relocate to the NC area. Open for suggestions, we have 3 children ages- 2, 4 and 11. A great neighborhood and schools are esential. We want to stay clear of hurricanes and understand that mass amounts of rain is a given. We enjoy parks, walks, trails and walk to restaurants/bars. Looking for the best of all worlds I guess you could say. Also wondering if anyone has a headsup on the plumbing industry, my husband is a plumber, has been for 12 yrs now same company. He doesnt want to leave all of the perks they offer. What is your take???- w/out benifits. he makes 45hrly and w/ With perks(insurance& etc.)hes at 35 hrly. So please if you have a logical reasoning for me to pleed, I would greatly appreciate it. Im a summer person and no longer can imagine life without warmer weather than WI offers. Thanks sooo much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 07:29 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,045,691 times
First, although we have only had one direct hit from a hurricane, we do get hurricane remnants all the time. So, there are often periods of massive rains when a system is going through. (if that was the question?)

Secondly, the job market here is really, really bad. Before you plan to move, make sure that you have jobs. The rate that you quoted appears to be pretty high; I don't think that plumbers get that here. Also, there are few large companies; most tradespeople are self employed and own their own companies.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,467,663 times
Judging by my call to Roto Rooter last April, plumbers do get that rate, and better! $200 for a 30 minute snaking of our lateral. Sure, there's a "come out to you" fee, but it was still high for a normal business hour visit.

As far as hurricanes, ANY place within the eastern states (east of the Mississippi) has a potential for a hit or a brushing...but few have the potential to experience what you see on the news. The brunt of hurricanes is absorbed at the coast and barely 50-100 miles inland. After that, it's all rain and little gusts of wind. Nothing really more than a bad afternoon summer storm. Having lived in Central Florida for 20+ years before here, it's humorous to see folks flip out in this region when a hurricane's remnants (likely reduced to the level of a Tropical Storm or lower by the time it gets here) are forecast to head this way...yet they do nothing for the average afternoon storm during the summer!

To sum it up...I thin you'd be just fine here in Charlotte. The job stuff is certainly something to think about....but the good thing is, essential jobs like a plumber will weather the storm better than a job like a banker or IT person. People will always need plumbers, teachers, trash men, janitors, etc...

Old 01-04-2009, 10:29 PM
ASC

50 posts, read 137,579 times
About Hurricanes...

While we don't get as many hurricanes in Florida, obviously, the Charlotte area does have a history with hurricanes.

1989- Hurricane Hugo, Charlotte received winds sustained around 80 to 90 mph, with gusts to 100 mph. Mass destruction, I was little, but I've seen the video my mom made the day after the storm, it was more than a summer storm, it looked like a twister had devastated Huntersville. Trees down everywhere.

Since then, the next worst storm was Hurricane Floyd in 1999. 50mph winds, a few trees down, ALOT of flooding.

Mostly what we get from Hurricanes is rain, doesn't matter where they come in. They could come in at New Orleans, and if it swings this way we will probably see some heavy, heavy rains, which often lead to flooding.

So... with that said, check to see where you buy your home... make sure it is not in a floodplain, and you'll be fine.

But... if you've got a Cat. 3 or 4, and it is aimed between Savannah and Myrtle Beach, then beware, because alot more than rain could be headed our way. Let's also not forget the tornadoes that hurricanes bring this far inland as well!

Yes, they are a threat, but it is alot less severe as if someone was on the coast.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
never live closer than 50 miles near the coast.
hurricans run on water, without it they die.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:16 AM

Yes, do your homework and find out if your prospective property is in or close to a FEMA flood zone.

For places in Mecklenburg County, use this link: Click Here
For places anywhere in the US: Click Here

Keep in mind, even if you're far outside of a FEMA flood zone, your property may still experience isolated flooding (not associated with a 100 year flooding).

Also remember, hurricanes like Hugo and Andrew redefined how things are designed and built. The disaster zones that were left in the wake of Hugo would most likely be far less if a similar storm hit today. Design wind loads were changed, hurricane straps, nailing patterns, even exterior sheathing (your vinyl, brick, stucco, etc) has changed to be more resistant of high winds and impacts.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:43 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,901,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katefoster View Post
HI,
If any one can give us info we would appreciate it greatly. We are looking to relocate to the NC area. Open for suggestions, we have 3 children ages- 2, 4 and 11. A great neighborhood and schools are esential. We want to stay clear of hurricanes and understand that mass amounts of rain is a given. We enjoy parks, walks, trails and walk to restaurants/bars. Looking for the best of all worlds I guess you could say. Also wondering if anyone has a headsup on the plumbing industry, my husband is a plumber, has been for 12 yrs now same company. He doesnt want to leave all of the perks they offer. What is your take???- w/out benifits. he makes 45hrly and w/ With perks(insurance& etc.)hes at 35 hrly. So please if you have a logical reasoning for me to pleed, I would greatly appreciate it. Im a summer person and no longer can imagine life without warmer weather than WI offers. Thanks sooo much for your time!
You can find an area with good schools and great neighborhoods easily. We do not get huricanes. We did hit by Hurrican Andrew or Hugo (forgot which one) years ago and lost quite a few large oak trees, etc. Occasionally fronts come through as they do in other places leaving good bits of rain. Generally, we are the "sunny south" and we have four distinct seasons. It gets extremely hot during summer days but mornings and evenings are generally very comfortable. It is possible to make lots of money as a plumber around here, but it is more likely if you work independently. Of course, competition will be somewhat stiff. Charlotte is not a union loving area and they are not real visible around, so finding a high paying union job is unlikely in most fields. Unemployment is probably a little less here than other cities, but nevertheless pretty high presently. But, as long as there are homes, there will be a need for plumbers. I highly suggest taking a week or so and visiting. Many people disregard the fact that we are in an economic downswing and come here expecting a job that isn't here. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:12 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,557,142 times
Charlotte is almost 200 miles inland...so no need to worry about that. Huricane Hugo tore Charlotte up...but that was rare and the only hurricane to ever cause damage. Usually Charlotte will just get heavy rain and maybe some winds...but nothing damaging usually. It could happen...but chances are very slim.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:43 PM

276 posts, read 1,142,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Charlotte is almost 200 miles inland...so no need to worry about that.
With Hurricane Katrina, I ran from Gulfport, MS to Memphis...6 hrs north...Katrina was still a hurricane when it hit Jackson, MS and was a strong TS when it came through Memphis...If I'm not mistake it STILL had tropical characteristics when it hit IL, I think it was a depression at that time...so being 200 miles inland doesn't stop you from being hit, especially if it's strong enough.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:24 AM

Yes, but a tropical Storm is equivalent to a strong summer thunderstorm, in my opinion. I've gone to school in a TS before...played baseball in the tail end of one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte