Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:50 PM

85 posts, read 292,949 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a contractor to install wood flooring on the 2nd floor of my south Charlotte home. I'm thinking of 3 1/4" solid oak tongue and groove. Any recommendations on a reputable installer/supplier?

Would welcome any thoughts on pre-finished Vs unfinished (relative merits/cost/etc).

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 04:01 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,666,672 times
My parents just did wood floors on about 2300 sqft and are very pleased with the product. They went with Lumber Liquidators at Lumber Liquidators: Hardwood Flooring for Less! I'll let you know of the contractor when I find out.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:09 PM

Default Thanks - Looking forward to additional info when available

thanks

Old 08-05-2008, 04:34 PM

54 posts, read 139,751 times
Alot depends on the look you want. Your 3 1/4 oak usually just comes in your basic gunstock, natural, cherry, etc.. Stay away from the unfinished.. It's just unneeded work and mess.. There are alot of different woods that have great colors. Tigerwood, brazillian cherry, santos mahogany, teak.. They will cost you a little more, but hardwood is an investment that you will realize when you sell your home. Once you find what you like, PM me the price, i'll let you know if you are getting ripped or a good deal.. Just remember, stay away from the 1.99 specials.. You get what you pay for.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the detailed reply. Just starting my search...my wife is on my case. I'll give you a shout when I have gotten into it.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:29 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcstevyt View Post
Alot depends on the look you want. Your 3 1/4 oak usually just comes in your basic gunstock, natural, cherry, etc.. Stay away from the unfinished.. It's just unneeded work and mess.. There are alot of different woods that have great colors. Tigerwood, brazillian cherry, santos mahogany, teak.. They will cost you a little more, but hardwood is an investment that you will realize when you sell your home. Once you find what you like, PM me the price, i'll let you know if you are getting ripped or a good deal.. Just remember, stay away from the 1.99 specials.. You get what you pay for.
Since you seem so knowledgable can I pick your brain? Was in a new custom home recently where the builder had put in hickory floors - they were STUNNING. I had never seen this kind of wood floor before. Where is hickory on the expense scale - most expensive, somewhat expensive, affordable? And do you like them yourself?

Old 08-06-2008, 07:53 AM

54 posts, read 139,751 times
Hickory is nice.. There are different qualities of it though, most are on the higher end.. You wouldn't happen to know the manufacturer/style that you purchased? I like it, but my choice for when I buy in Charlotte is a 5" tigerwood.. It has random natural striping in it and is a very hard wood.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:36 AM

143 posts, read 537,662 times
Does anyone know what is the best kind of hardwood for those with dogs?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 AM

330 posts, read 1,036,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kja25 View Post
Does anyone know what is the best kind of hardwood for those with dogs?
Depends on the size of the dog. The bigger they are, the more likely they are to scratch the wood. In addition, as your dogs get older, walking on a hard surface puts more strain on their bones and joints. Our basset hound had a slipped disc in our old house, which was 100% hardwood flooring, and got to the point where she could barely move. In our new house with carpeting, she has virtually no symptoms.

I love hardwood floors, but with dogs I have to say it isn't the best option.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:07 AM

18 posts, read 57,236 times
Souza Hardwood Floors recently installed mine and they came out GREAT - reasonably priced, they came out with a free estimate and work was done within a week!! The installers worked hard, cleaned up - I had NO MESS! They even had to come back for one very tiny problem with the floor. Came the day after I called and fixed it perfectly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte