Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times

Advertisements

I was thinking due to the Lowes Motor Speedway and now the new Drag Strip a good city to compare Charlotte to is Indianapolis.

For those who have been there how does that city compare to Charlotte?
Is there other touristy things that attract people to that city?

From photos I have look at the skylines are very similar ,
What about
Entertainment
Diversity
Festivals
Performing Arts compared to Charlotte

What could each city learn from each other

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:18 PM

177 posts, read 552,595 times
I've been to Indianapolis and I could definitely see myself living there. The real estate prices are very reasonable and their downtown has a lot of charm. I noticed the buildings were older and some had some ornate details which I liked. I really enjoyed looking out into the city. Where I stayed there was a big monument and they created a huge Christmas tree that was lit up at night. It was much prettier at night than in the day time though. I enjoyed walking around but I didn't walk for long because when I was there it was freezing cold, snowing, and very windy. Overall I like Indianapolis. It's not NYC or Seattle but it's still a great city that has the amenities of a large city yet isn't overwhelming. I would love to live downtown but I'm sure it is very pricey to get a nice view like I had at my hotel.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:36 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Indianapolis is in Indiana which has been depressed for years economically. Kind of like Detroit. Also, the joke goes that it smells...goes back to the old days when they had the steel mills there.

Not really a desirable area to live.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:19 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,482 times
I travel there for business, and oddly enough the last few times I found myself comparing it quite often to Charlotte. It's got the same geographic-center-yet-sprawling-to-the-suburbs feeling that Charlotte has. The people I encountered were fantastic. Lots of great restaurants and shops, and good culture (museums, etc.) It's got a small airport. I found them very similar.

I think it gets colder than it does here though...

Old 12-20-2008, 12:38 AM

177 posts, read 552,595 times
They actually just built a new terminal and so the airport isn't so small anymore! Before, you could walk right out the door in no time but last month when I was there they had just opened the new terminal and we walked for what felt like forever! LOL! It is really nice!

Yes, it definitely gets colder there. When I was there it was freezing and the wind was blowing so hard it nearly took my breath away.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:29 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Funny that you started this thread Sunny. I also started a thread similiar to this one. Great minds think alike.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:25 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Indy (Da Nap) is without a doubt comparable to Charlotte. In fact, you could easily compare Kansas City, Columbus OH, Cincy, and Louisville to Charlotte now. I just wish Charlotte's infrastructure was on par with some of these cities. You know, A FINISHED I-485!!!!!!!! These cities have been large cities MUCH MUCH MUCH longer than Charlotte so it will be awhile before Charlotte's uptown development and infrastructure catches up.

The last time I was in Indy, I noticed that Indy's mass transit did not run as late as Charlotte's which was a surprise to me. Indy's downtown arena has worked wonders for businesses and the restaurant scene there.

The airports are comparable in the sense that Charlotte's new runway will give you the feeling of "planes landing on top of you" from I-485. Indy's airport already gives you this feeling if you are driving by on I-70 or I-465.

I just wish Charlotte's greenway projects would give us something like this Uptown:

Old 12-21-2008, 07:16 AM

415 posts, read 1,150,490 times
I was in Indy in 2006 to watch the Final Four (Go Gators!) and immediately thought that the cities are very similar.

One thing Indy has that Charlotte needs is a downtown shopping mall.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:10 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
The two are surprisingly similiar from what I hear and read. Interestingly though, Charlotte's metro gdp is higher. 114 to like 80 or 90 something billion in 2006.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:45 PM

236 posts, read 695,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
I was in Indy in 2006 to watch the Final Four (Go Gators!) and immediately thought that the cities are very similar.

One thing Indy has that Charlotte needs is a downtown shopping mall.
Circle Center Mall in Indy was built at a time when civic leaders and conventional wisdom assumed that in order to attract suburbanites downtown you had to give them what they've got in the suburbs such as an enclosed mall like Circle Center. Convention Wisdom and modern planners now agree that street level retail is more condusive to revitalizing the urban core by bringing activity to the street rather than a mall such as Circle Center. That being said, Charlotte will never see a mall like the one they have in Indy and Overstreet is an example of why this is a bad idea...recognizing that its practical for uptown workers, etc.

Also, South Park is way too close to uptown to consider or justify the addition of a major department store uptown...let alone many of the boutique/specialty retailers such as Banana/Gap....at least for the next 10 years...or until daytime/fulltime population reaches a critical mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte