Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 07:11 AM

396 posts, read 1,631,067 times

Advertisements

Please forgive my lack of "thread" skills as this not only the first time I've posted anything on a message board (hopefully I do it right) but also the first time I've read through them. I so appreciate your patience.
My husband and I found out this morning that we will be re-locating to Charlotte in only one week. Yikes!! We spent only 2 days there during his interview process, but think you all have a lovely city. I am completely overwhelmed by how much friendly information you have offered up for those of us considering a move there. Wow!
My main concern/question is about schools. We are moving our three (very upset) kids: 5th grade, 3rd grade and K. We loved the areas surrounding Matthews...Stallings...etc....and am not just wondering if that is a good area for schools, because I've literally read every post out here that raves about them, but am wondering which elementary schools and middle schools (I'm so afraid of those) specifically are great and why. I think schools can be wonderful for lots of different reasons; loving environment, low student-teacher ratio or great academics. By the way, I prefer the latter as a criteria. May even consider Lake Wylie area or SC?
Again, thanks for your patience as I ramble on. I promise to make my future inquiries about specific neighborhoods and churches shorter. Schools, however, seem to be what is causing me the most confusion about our move. I am looking forward to being a part of your friendly community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 07:28 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indraman View Post
Please forgive my lack of "thread" skills as this not only the first time I've posted anything on a message board (hopefully I do it right) but also the first time I've read through them. I so appreciate your patience.
My husband and I found out this morning that we will be re-locating to Charlotte in only one week. Yikes!! We spent only 2 days there during his interview process, but think you all have a lovely city. I am completely overwhelmed by how much friendly information you have offered up for those of us considering a move there. Wow!
My main concern/question is about schools. We are moving our three (very upset) kids: 5th grade, 3rd grade and K. We loved the areas surrounding Matthews...Stallings...etc....and am not just wondering if that is a good area for schools, because I've literally read every post out here that raves about them, but am wondering which elementary schools and middle schools (I'm so afraid of those) specifically are great and why. I think schools can be wonderful for lots of different reasons; loving environment, low student-teacher ratio or great academics. By the way, I prefer the latter as a criteria. May even consider Lake Wylie area or SC?
Again, thanks for your patience as I ramble on. I promise to make my future inquiries about specific neighborhoods and churches shorter. Schools, however, seem to be what is causing me the most confusion about our move. I am looking forward to being a part of your friendly community.
So how can we help you specifically today? Will you be in an extended stay hotel until you find a house or what?

Old 01-26-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
So how can we help you specifically today? Will you be in an extended stay hotel until you find a house or what?
Reread your post...so you want to choose where to live based on the schools? Please give us a price range you plan to buy your home in - that can help us give you better suggestions

Old 01-26-2007, 07:57 AM

396 posts, read 1,631,067 times
We will be staying in a hotel. I can't tell you how great that sounds with three kids....so I'm hoping to find a house quickly. We'd like to stay under $350K. Less would be preferable in case we end up deciding to send one or more to private school. I hear they aren't inexpensive out there. We are basically looking for a great family-oriented neighborhood with great kids for our kids to get to know and go to school with. I would take a smaller house to be in a better school zone. I appreciate your response.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraman View Post
We will be staying in a hotel. I can't tell you how great that sounds with three kids....so I'm hoping to find a house quickly. We'd like to stay under $350K. Less would be preferable in case we end up deciding to send one or more to private school. I hear they aren't inexpensive out there. We are basically looking for a great family-oriented neighborhood with great kids for our kids to get to know and go to school with. I would take a smaller house to be in a better school zone. I appreciate your response.
In your price range you will have many options. Can I ask which part of town your husband has to go to for work? This will also help narrow down where to look

Old 01-26-2007, 09:22 AM

525 posts, read 1,804,595 times
If you like Stallings and those areas, I'd say go with Union County (lower taxes etc..VERY fast growing county though and it has some growing pains) we live in Indian Trail and are very pleased with the schools here. I have one in middle school, one in elementary and one non schoolaged yet. The only thing I don't like really is that fact that middle schools here have sports/afterschool games and dances and that stuff, starting in 6th grade. I know I sound old fashioned but I have noticed that the things I thought about or said in high school are commonplace now for younger kids. The academics though are great. My son seems to be learning a lot and he is in gifted as well. My 1st grader is doing well too. She is on the younger end of teh spectrum but the administration and teachers at the schools my kids started attending this year are great!
Be positive to your kids (we are out of the military..lots of moves!) and maybe start looking around for things for them to do, include them! There are sports here along with other things, like the mountains (hiking/camping/fishing etc) and other things that go on. I don't know where you are moving from but for us it was big city things to do but smaller town feel.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:50 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
they have dances here in 6th my son LOVES THEM....and sports, and he is middle school too..we are planning to move to Marvin Area, waxhaw middle school for my son as of right now will be the new Marvin Ridge Middle and the new Elem school as well...the HS too is new in that area as it will be Marvin Ridge HS...also rememeber they do reassign schools very often there and we have learned that not all the time will your kids stay in that school...we are hoping for the best....we have narrowed it down to 3 developments at this point, and dh may finally have some interviews, so now once this house sells we can finally move..lol.My 6th grader cant wait to move, and my 2nd grader also is excited, your children will eventually adjust to the move and make friends, that is why we decided on a community with a pool, trails and tennis and other activities....so they can make new friends..

Old 01-26-2007, 09:54 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
See I just love the boards and you guys so much im here at the GREAT WOLF LODGE IN PA on vacation with my family and YES EVEN MY SISTER and her hubby and my nephew..lol...for those that know my situation will understand that comment..LOL...ok well hello all, Im not a fan of WATER PARKS it is amazing here though..well we are going home tomorrow....

Old 01-26-2007, 10:00 AM

525 posts, read 1,804,595 times
My son loves them too..but all the unsupervised activity, along with just today's culture has put a lot of things in my sons mind that even when I was 11 (late 80s) I didn't have. We moved into a community with all those amenities too for a lot of the same reasons!

Old 01-26-2007, 10:09 AM

293 posts, read 959,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
See I just love the boards and you guys so much im here at the GREAT WOLF LODGE IN PA on vacation with my family and YES EVEN MY SISTER and her hubby and my nephew..lol...for those that know my situation will understand that comment..LOL...ok well hello all, Im not a fan of WATER PARKS it is amazing here though..well we are going home tomorrow....

NJ,My friend/neighbor from NY is there now also. I have to check out that place. Have fun!

indraman, Good luck with your search. From what I hear Matthews has good schools. Like resident said, if you like Stallings, Union county does have lower taxes and the schools are good there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte