Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 09:52 PM

37 posts, read 151,779 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Well....long story short, I spilled coffee on my laptop and now it has gone berserk. I'm praying that it can be repaired at a low enough cost so I don't have to resort to all together buying a new one (although, there may be some good sales going on right now). I'm prepared for the worst diagnosis, but hoping for the best .

Anyway, we have lived in Charlotte (University City area) for only two months. Can someone PLEASE recommend a good and reputable computer repair shop? I know about the Geek Squad at Best Buy, but I'm hoping I can support a local small business during these tough times, as well as avoid paying Geek Squad prices....but, I'll pretty much pay whatever is necessary for repairs (as long as it's within reason of course )

Thanks alot for any help,

Cincynurse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 09:58 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincynurse View Post
Hello all,

Well....long story short, I spilled coffee on my laptop and now it has gone berserk. I'm praying that it can be repaired at a low enough cost so I don't have to resort to all together buying a new one (although, there may be some good sales going on right now). I'm prepared for the worst diagnosis, but hoping for the best .

Anyway, we have lived in Charlotte (University City area) for only two months. Can someone PLEASE recommend a good and reputable computer repair shop? I know about the Geek Squad at Best Buy, but I'm hoping I can support a local small business during these tough times, as well as avoid paying Geek Squad prices....but, I'll pretty much pay whatever is necessary for repairs (as long as it's within reason of course )

Thanks alot for any help,

Cincynurse
Did the spill happen a while back, & was there sugar in the coffee?

Old 11-25-2008, 10:08 PM

37 posts, read 151,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Did the spill happen a while back, & was there sugar in the coffee?

Hello - the spill happened this morning (it's after midnight now, technically yesterday morning). The coffee had Splenda and half/half in it. I tried to open up the computer (dismantle the bottom or top) so that I could at least see how the keyboard looked and possibly leave it open to help dry it out (?)...but I couldn't even get the computer apart after taking out the screws. I put the screws back in and left it alone.

Cincynurse

Old 11-26-2008, 12:36 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Hello - the spill happened this morning (it's after midnight now, technically yesterday morning). The coffee had Splenda and half/half in it. I tried to open up the computer (dismantle the bottom or top) so that I could at least see how the keyboard looked and possibly leave it open to help dry it out (?)...but I couldn't even get the computer apart after taking out the screws. I put the screws back in and left it alone.

Cincynurse
OK, sugar is a killer on circuit boards. The half&half isn't helping matters either.

For future reference, put out paper towels & then flip the keyboard (if it's a keyboard to a desktop, or the laptop over, upside down on the paper towels, after immediately turning off the computer/laptop

Laptops will be on some very good sales this weekend. Laptop repair is generally more expensive than for a desktop. Someone else may suggest that you take it for repair

Old 11-26-2008, 04:06 AM

170 posts, read 458,881 times
National Laptop Repair is a small business in Raleigh I went to when the LCD screen on my laptop went dark. Their service was affordable vs. buying a new one and they shipped the laptop back quickly. You may want to consider using them if you don't find a local shop.

National Laptop Repair Service (http://www.absoluteraleigh.com/national_laptop_repair.html - broken link)

Old 11-26-2008, 10:12 AM

144 posts, read 403,993 times
Try slayton computer. They have always been pretty helpful.Its off sugar creek rd.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:41 AM

58 posts, read 205,809 times
Quote:

Cincynurse
The biggest problem I see would be the fact that the battery, not having been removed was still providing power to the laptop and the liquid could have potentially short circuited a component.

One good bet though is that your data is safe....so if worse come to worse and you do have to buy new you can still retrieve all of your documents and important data from the old drive. As for repair shop check your email I emailed you a recommendation. If I had more time on my hands I would be glad to look at it, laptops are not fun to work on being so compact they tend to be time consuming.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:21 PM

45 posts, read 108,396 times
Can you describe what you mean by "berserk"??

Old 12-01-2008, 07:20 PM

124 posts, read 361,435 times
If it is not to late just received this in Value Pak $20 off coupon next service call

Friendly Computers
Mobile Computer Services
704-248-6025
803-548-5588
or
www.friendlycomputers.com

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte