Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 AM

797 posts, read 3,295,130 times

Advertisements

Leelands aren't doing so well the past couple of years here since the drought. If you drive around town, tons are dead. Ours which are even well established started to turn brown this summer. We had to do a lot of watering on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 06:53 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Leland cypress is the one you want

Leland Cypress is exactly what you DON'T want right now. Canker disease is wiping these out in Charlotte right now.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:55 AM

There was an article in the Observer in the spring about replacement for the dying Leyland Cypress...

Nellie Stevens Holly is a drought resitant privacy hedge.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
No issue with canker or any disease in Huntersville .

A drive down McCoy Road or Stratton Farm they are all healthy.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
No issue with canker or any disease in Huntersville .

A drive down McCoy Road or Stratton Farm they are all healthy.
South Charlotte in particular has be devistated by the Canker Disease (not to be confused with Canker worms). I would guestimate 60% of the cypress trees are dead or diseased in south charlotte. In my neighborhood, the leyland cypress's are about 90% gone.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:44 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,656 times
I'm going with bamboo to shield my not so neighborly neighbors. Its more work to maintain but it grows much faster than almost any hedge.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:19 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Be careful w/ hollies - many varieties get HUGE. Be careful w/ bamboo as it is invasive. We have traditionally used photinia here but diseases (I believe it is leaf-spot) have caused damage to many of the plants thru/t the Southeast. There is one species . . .Chinese Photinia. You can use that one w/ no problem.

You can use Leyland Cypress (Leylandii) but indeed, they are susceptible to various fungi and at least 2 types of cankers. One can only prune diseased branches as there is no cure for either spore. Keeping leylands adequately watered will help w/ disease resistance, as water stress makes them more susceptible to disease.

I have Leylands and have beens standing over them to keep them healthy. I would plant them again, b/c I don't mind "babying" them. If you are not inclined to the vigilance . . . I would highly recommend chinese photinia.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:32 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Be careful w/ bamboo as it is invasive.
Yes to anyone who reads this thread, you cannot just plant bamboo like any other plant. It is invasive but it can be contained and you have to take care of it, like any other plant.

We are using 2 barrier methods to keep it out of our neighbors yard. Though I don't know why I should care, since they certainly don't care about their dogs, cats, kids, kids friends, cigarette butts or golf balls coming into our yard.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:57 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times
Holly will also provide some sound buffering if that is a consideration.

Rose of Sharon grows quickly and flowers for mid-late summer color. Because it grows in a 'V' shape it allows for lower plantings. It is one of my favorites, but is deciduous so provides most privacy when leafed out.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:13 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Holly will also provide some sound buffering if that is a consideration.

Rose of Sharon grows quickly and flowers for mid-late summer color. Because it grows in a 'V' shape it allows for lower plantings. It is one of my favorites, but is deciduous so provides most privacy when leafed out.
Hey, NCYank! I love Rose of Sharon (Althea) too! I have several planted in my backyard. They will sometimes spread so you can get volunteers, dig them up and plant in other locations or give them away (or sell them!) Mine are from my grandmother's home place! My family keeps handing them around when we move.

I just happened to think . . . at one of my homes, I put a row of dogwoods on the property line. That worked out beautifully.

Also, crape myrtles. Let's don't forget them! They work well on a property line. Trees are not going to "screen" the neighbors but they will add a demarcation line to the property.

FlexySteve: I had to laugh at your description of your bum neighbors. Your neighbors definitely need screening!!!! Using a barrier method is a great idea. Bamboo is a fast grower and I happen to like it very much and it will definitely screen your lousy neighbors, LOL!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte