Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:11 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hey there Brian

I agree that no prior record and a logical explanation should have sufficed. I just can't understand them taking the time to process him. Isn't there such a thing as officer discretion?? Once he saw the NC driver's license and school ID (for art school) with my son telling him he uses it on art projects couldn't the cop have let him go?
I agree. I would think that with all the police training and experience that a police officer should be able to recognize when there is an honest mistake or if the person is a true threat. I would think that they would just confiscate the knife and maybe write a ticket and save the courts for someone who should be there. I also have to agree with the cultural differences especially when it comes to weapons, the difference is HUGE!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:11 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
Hey there Brian

I agree that no prior record and a logical explanation should have sufficed. I just can't understand them taking the time to process him. Isn't there such a thing as officer discretion?? Once he saw the NC driver's license and school ID (for art school) with my son telling him he uses it on art projects couldn't the cop have let him go?

They could've used some sort of discretion and just taken it from him. You would think that would've been enough. He made an honest mistake. Arresting your son seems a little too harsh given the proof that he gave to the cop.

But if you've ever seen NYC police in action, both above ground and below, it honestly doesn't surprise me much either. You get the right mix and it could be like someone in a turban yelling "kaboom" in an airport.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:15 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,059,165 times
Quote:
Thanks MommyV Isn't it fascinating how here in our own country we can have so many regional differences in culture? When the officer inquired as to where he got the knife and my son told him "Walmart" - the cop could not believe it! My son had to work to convince him that a kid really can buy a pocket knife at Walmart in North Carolina, lol!
LOL! I had the same reaction when I found out that you can buy a gun at Walmart down here.

I really believe this cop just thought your son was telling a tall tale. I'm sure he gets a lot of that. But don't worry, NYC is riddled with much more serious stuff than this.

Just a word of advice... I wouldn't bargain it down to anything that would appear on his record in any way. Not even a misdemeanor. Records don't get erased easily.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion of listening to the radio and trying to be aware of what big wigs might be where in the city in a given day - I'll pass it on to him
You're welcome.

It's an unfortunate situation, but it's the time we live in. All-news radio will be his best friend.

I can't speak specifically about NYC. I don't go there, but some things are the same. Public security issues are a big thing in the northeast & Mid-Atlantic. There will be a learnig curve.

I don't think it's as much cultural differences as life styles. From Boston to Richmond regardless of whether you live in a urban, suburban or rural area, your lifestyle is more urban than in a lot of other parts of the country.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:34 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're welcome.

It's an unfortunate situation, but it's the time we live in. All-news radio will be his best friend.

I can't speak specifically about NYC. I don't go there, but some things are the same. Public security issues are a big thing in the northeast & Mid-Atlantic. There will be a learnig curve.

I don't think it's as much cultural differences as life styles. From Boston to Richmond regardless of whether you live in a urban, suburban or rural area, your lifestyle is more urban than in a lot of other parts of the country.
A "learning curve" - that's a great way to describe it! He's learned so much already, though this will most likely be the biggest lesson of all! As much as I miss this kid I know what a great opportunity it is for him to be where he is so I don't want anyone to think I'm disparaging NYC or its police officers in any way. Especially since 9/11 when we all know what the police went thru that day. I just appreciate all the confirmation that this could have happened to anyone, not just my young, naive son

Old 09-23-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Hey there Brian

OK, I'm guessing Cooper Union.

I will tell you something directly.

I went to Philadelphia College of Art. It is now part of the University of the Arts. I attended from 1969 - 1973, while people were protesting 'Nam. The Philly cops had a real problem with the art students, but Frank Rizzo was mayor then. He had a problem with us too.

The student ID probably did him in.

You are the OP, I can either say more on that or not. Your thread, your call. My house is going on the market today, so I will be off until later.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:44 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Loves, I just read this thread and feel like crying. I can see my DS having the same exact experience. He loves NYC but he has had several experiences in Manhattan that have pointed out to him that he is NOT in NC anymore. I started taking him on subways in major cities at four so he could learn his way around and not feel overwhelmed when he got older . . . but he has still gotten himself into a few situations in NYC that he was not prepared for (including panhandlers, lol). I don't think of him as naive, yet when it comes to NYC, HE IS. He got grabbed up by police for setting up his tripod to take some pictures of buildings (architectural details) - and only recently did we figure out why (evidently, there was a financial institution in the frame - we had no idea this was not allowed in NYC). The officers were not gentle, Hee Hee, and when he tried to explain, he thought they were going to confiscate his Nikon and haul him to jail. It was not a good thing. So I can only imagine how distressing this was for your DS, as well as for you, waiting to find out what had occurred and what was going on.

I am so so sorry. Looks like an attorney is your only recourse. I can only imagine, based on my own son's personality, how traumatic this was for him.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
A "learning curve" - that's a great way to describe it! He's learned so much already, though this will most likely be the biggest lesson of all! As much as I miss this kid I know what a great opportunity it is for him to be where he is so I don't want anyone to think I'm disparaging NYC or its police officers in any way. Especially since 9/11 when we all know what the police went thru that day. I just appreciate all the confirmation that this could have happened to anyone, not just my young, naive son
Learning curve was the only polite way that I could think of to put it. I came to the MidAtlantic from the Midwest at 13. It's in your face & brutal at times, but you get through it & learn.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:03 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,237 times
10-10 WINS is the AM station he needs to listen to.....

Sorry your son got picked up by the police Loves, it must have been horrible for him. I went to the School of Visual Arts back in the 70's, the cops thought we were all a bunch of hippie freaks (but the rookies in the academy loved when they could peek into our studio classrooms...the rear windows of the academy faced the windows of the painting/drawing studios :O). I don't remember needig a pocketknife for class.

DH was a Transit cop for 28 yrs, I was a police dispatcher/911 operator in NYC. They don't play games up there. If a knife blade is longer than "4 wide" (4 fingers across), you're going to jail. Hopefully, the judge will rule in favor of your son & make it all go away. I feel bad for him that he has had to experience this, It's a tough life's lesson. I'll be praying for him.

BxRosie

Old 09-23-2008, 09:14 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,502,054 times
Loves, of course this could happen to anyone, sorry it happened to be your lil guy.

Hopefully, when this is all over, down the road, you will all be able to laugh about it. Until then, I'm sure myself and anyone else on this site will try to help you out if you need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte